Lt. Commander
# 1 STO Team Turn-over?
05-07-2010, 06:13 PM
I knew Gozer was leaving, but I wasn't aware others were as well? I just read this in the new Engineering Reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
You've also heard that some of our long time team members (like Gozer) are moving off to pursue other opportunities and we wish them all the best. While turn-over is common once titles ship, their impact on the game will be missed. There are a few items on the schedule that are shifting due to the transfer or loss of a few team members which is allowing us to bring several new team members up to speed on their work in progress. The STF Into the Hive (which is being rescoped to work with the upcoming new level cap) and the Caitians are the two things most impacted and have shifted as necessary.
I'm actually quite sad to read this. I wonder who is leaving and how will this impact the game?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
I knew Gozer was leaving, but I wasn't aware others were as well? I just read this in the new Engineering Reports.

I'm actually quite sad to read this. I wonder who is leaving and how will this impact the game?
while it is nothing new. ( people leaving that is ) it mite have an impact. the big question is, is the main writer for the missions here? and are they going to replace them?

( and no for anyone negative, this is not about a sinking ship. )
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-07-2010, 06:22 PM
For some reason, (Connection unknown) the new people coming in and the old people leaving has caused the Caitians to be pushed back. So in that respect there has been an impact.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-07-2010, 06:25 PM
To put my comments in perspective, turnover happens all the time. There have been your average number of people who have come and gone throughout the life of the project. Gozer's leavng has a special impact on the STF Into the Hive because it was his baby... he's been working on it for a long time... and we don't want to just put it up unfinished, so we're going to give the remaining parts to someone else to finish instead which is why it was pushed.

While turnover hurts, we also have a large talent pool already in the company and no lack of new candidates who are ready to move to the team. In fact a new character artist who started last week is already cranking out new formal outfits as part of new types of off-duty costumes.

The impact that did have though is that Matt (working on Caitians) had to take a week to bring them up to speed and since Matt is doing the Caitians himself, they might be delayed unless he pulls some crazy Scotty maneuver on me.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Quote:
To put my comments in perspective, turnover happens all the time. There have been your average number of people who have come and gone throughout the life of the project. Gozer's impact has a special impact on the STF Into the Hive because it was his baby... he's been working on it for a long time... and we don't want to just put it up unfinished, so we're going to give the remaining parts to someone else to finish instead which is why it was pushed.

While turnover hurts, we also have a large talent pool already in the company and no lack of new candidates who are ready to move to the team. In fact a new character artist who started last week is already cranking out new formal outfits as part of new types of off-duty costumes.

The impact that did have though is that Matt (working on Caitians) had to take a week to bring them up to speed and since Matt is doing the Caitians himself, they might be delayed unless he pulls some crazy Scotty maneuver on me.
Of course, now he's going to try to get them done early just because you've said that...
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-07-2010, 06:46 PM
He didn't tell you how long it'd REALLY take, did he?
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Quote:
To put my comments in perspective, turnover happens all the time. There have been your average number of people who have come and gone throughout the life of the project. Gozer's leavng has a special impact on the STF Into the Hive because it was his baby... he's been working on it for a long time... and we don't want to just put it up unfinished, so we're going to give the remaining parts to someone else to finish instead which is why it was pushed.

I read your response in the Engineering thread, so I now have a better perspective on the Caitian situation. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Turnover at this level is a bad sign. If STO were a success, veteran Devs wouldn't want to leave.

Talent generally looks to flee a sinking ship. A good example, when the NGE hit, ALL the good SWG Devs fled not only the game but SOE, including Raph Koster, all that were left were their interns and "gofers" who ironically are still running things there.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat84 View Post
Turnover at this level is a bad sign. If STO were a success, veteran Devs wouldn't want to leave.
Uhm, what? That's not how this industry works at all. Many of the people working on this game left successful companies to come to Cryptic. Some people just like new challenges, and once the game launches they lose interest. Others want to change their physical location for personal reasons, and Cryptic doesn't do telecommuting. Gozer is a very sought-after developer. He turned down offers that would make your mouth water, and his new gig is geographically very far away from Cryptic.

This has nothing to do with rats leaving sinking ships; this is skilled professionals seeking the next challenge or the perfect office culture.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat84 View Post

Talent generally looks to flee a sinking ship. A good example, when the NGE hit, ALL the good SWG Devs fled not only the game but SOE, including Raph Koster, all that were left were their interns and "gofers" who ironically are still running things there.
Bah

*waves hand in a dismissing motion