Lt. Commander
# 31
05-10-2010, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andeolus View Post
Is this just indicative of the "me generation?" I've come to accept that if something is offered as an exclusive and has strings attached to get, that's what needs to be done in order to get said item. I don't look at the hoops and say "I'm not doing that. I know! I'll just demand that Cryptic makes it available to me in a different way that's more reasonable for me!" I don't complain when I miss out on something offered in a Collector's Edition because I didn't want to pay for it.

The trouble is Cryptic loses credibility if it offers an exclusive later on. Why buy a LTS in the time frame given in order to get a playable Borg if you can just buy it in the C-store at a later date? They wouldn't be doing themselves any favors by doing that. It would hurt their business because no one would participate in the promotions.

I think a better compromise is to offer a similar but different item in the C-store. Mirror Universe uniforms from a different show like Enterprise I think would satisfy a lot of folks and maintain the integrity of the original offer.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Lt. Commander
# 32
05-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Well yeah, of course it's about money! What company doesn't want money? Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the subscription/microtransaction model that is currently out there, but it seems like it could be the new standard. I heard the Old Republic is considering this, and WoW is already dabbling (rather successfully I might add).
Lt. Commander
# 33
05-10-2010, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Well yeah, of course it's about money! What company doesn't want money? Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the subscription/microtransaction model that is currently out there, but it seems like it could be the new standard. I heard the Old Republic is considering this, and WoW is already dabbling (rather successfully I might add).
ya i was looking at the Tor site the other day... gawd knows what'll go in there. SWG pre-nge best mmo ever.
Lt. Commander
# 34
05-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Well of course its about money. The question is will they go for a short term cash grab (c-store), or think long term (Vet reward). If they go the former at the expense of those who alread made long term investments in the company, then it sends an important message about about the future of the game: That they dont expect to have one. I'd be reluctant to ever give them money again based on that.

TOR I remain skeptical on. I think they're promising way more than they can possibly deliver meaningfully, and they made a very unfortunate choice to go WoW-like in character design.
Lt. Commander
# 35
05-10-2010, 10:32 AM
I think the biggest issues is everyone wants to compete with the success of WoW. If Blizzard can get 10 million subscriptions, why can't any other MMO? The problem is, I don't think any MMO will ever touch that level of success, and companies like Cryptic are scrambling to find new ways to make more money off of a smaller pool of subscribers.

I don't *hate* the C-store. I've certainly used it with the free points I got. I just think they need to be very careful about what goes in there. The solution is not putting everything that people missed out in on the store. Sometimes promotions just need to be retired. Come up with new stuff to sell that has an equal "cool" factor as what's already out there.
Lt. Commander
# 36
05-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Putting up something like the MU unis on the C-Store is a BAD move. Something that a person shelled out big bucks for should NOT be tossed up in a place where you can throw a few bucks at and expect instant gratification. The big-name items, such as the MU unis; Lib Borg; and Galaxy-X are special items for special promotions. I'm not against them being offered in other ways, but the C-Store is not the answer.

I never bought the CO LTS...I was tempted, but knew that $200.00 was just too much for just the items I was looking at (the MU costume & closed beta). That would have been the ONLY reason for me to get it. The game never appealed to me. I only said "yes" when a friend said that it would be the next big game we'd play together (some friend) in addition to the CB (I DID pay for the 6-month sub).

So, yes. I expect that Cryptic will eventually offer it another way. I certainly do not hope that the C-Store is their answer. I would love to see it as a Vet reward, say at the 500 day mark, but it needs to be earned...not bought. Those who want the "exclusives" NOW are nothing more than spoiled children. I don't have the Mirror Universe outfit and I REALLY want it badly, but I'm not asking for it to be practically given to me...I am willing to work my way to getting it.

I started a petition on offering these high profile items in the Vet program. I welcome you to voice your opinion there (just keep it civil, please). You can clicky here to cast your vote.
Lt. Commander
# 37
05-10-2010, 09:35 PM
I wouldn't mind at all waiting 500 days, i just want a fair and honest chance to get the damn thing period. :p
Lt. Commander
# 38
05-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
SWG pre-nge best mmo ever.
Only for fans of Uncle Owen.

If your strongest desire after watching Star Wars was to run off and become a Moisture Farmer ...

1- SWG was the game for you.
2- You missed a pretty good movie.
Lt. Commander
# 39
05-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Quote:
If Blizzard can get 10 million subscriptions, why can't any other MMO?
They can't get as big a penetration into the asian markets as World of ******** did.

It's not like their U.S. sub numbers are some MMO juggernaut. At its height it beat Everquest at EQ's height. But not in some unseemly fashion that seems so untouchable.

It's the other markets. Added all up together.

Which this company isn't exactly designed to do. Nor were they trying to do that.
Lt. Commander
# 40
05-11-2010, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
They can't get as big a penetration into the asian markets as World of ******** did.

It's not like their U.S. sub numbers are some MMO juggernaut. At its height it beat Everquest at EQ's height. But not in some unseemly fashion that seems so untouchable.

It's the other markets. Added all up together.

Which this company isn't exactly designed to do. Nor were they trying to do that.
That was a rhetorical question. I was pointing out that there are a lot of companies use WoW as a benchmark and would love nothing more then to be that legendary "WoW killer".
Closed Thread