Lt. Commander
# 71
05-12-2010, 08:57 AM
It is ironic though that the world of Star Trek, a world where all humans are equal, where inequity, bigotry and, yes, elitism is a thing of the past has been co-opted into this nickel and dime haves and have nots operation.

Gene Roddenberry's ashes in orbit must be spinning so fast they're in danger of opening a singularity.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by andeolus View Post
What are you talking about? Lots of games have exclusives newer players can't get. WoW has put out a Collector's Edition for the original game and all it's expansions. With each one there's an exclusive pet you can only get by purchasing the CE. These usually sell out relatively quickly with no chance of getting it once it's sold out. It hasn't stopped Blizzard from having subscriptions through the roof.

And it's not like Cryptic is the first one to cross promote. Starcraft 2 is offering a WoW pet. if I want that pet, I'll buy the game. If I don't want the game, I won't complain that I couldn't get the pet, that simple. I know you're mad that you couldn't get the MU uniforms, but the truth is, it wasn't worth $200 and that's fine. I certainly didn't want that uniform $200 bad.

But I also don't mind that I don't have it. I knew what I had to do to get it and I passed. Same thing with the preorder bonuses. I didn't buy every single one for the freebies, I picked the one I liked best and decided it wasn't worth spending the extra money. I think you're better off convincing them to create a MU uniform from a later series and putting that in the shop.

Again, "limited time" and "exclusive" mean just that. If Cryptic goes back and makes everything available at a price, they lose credibility. They're already working on a new MMO, and if they decide to use the same types of promotions, no one will go for them because they'll remember to complain a lot and just buy it as a separate item on the C-store.
I do not know where you have been, but no other promotion for this game was unattainable by the STO player base,so expensive and had nothing to do with Star Trek . I did put the money for the DDE /TOS uniforms and they gave those away for free.

Most other promotions are still available the GM's have said the preorder bonuses are now vendor specific bonuses, collectors,DDE still get all their exclusives. So unfortunately the point you make is one for other games.
Lt. Commander
# 73
05-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
It is ironic though that the world of Star Trek, a world where all humans are equal, where inequity, bigotry and, yes, elitism is a thing of the past has been co-opted into this nickel and dime haves and have nots operation.

Gene Roddenberry's ashes in orbit must be spinning so fast they're in danger of opening a singularity.
/Agreed....many of these people just don't get the Star Trek overtones and life lessons
Lt. Commander
# 74
05-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable

Not that ironic. We're talking about the Mirror Universe where such things are commonplace.
Lt. Commander
# 75
05-12-2010, 09:27 AM
There was, in fact, a thread on this topic already. But it only got to 6 pages.

My thoughts on the topic are in the first post.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=155829
Lt. Commander
# 76
05-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post
I do not know where you have been, but no other promotion for this game was unattainable by the STO player base,so expensive and had nothing to do with Star Trek . I did put the money for the DDE /TOS uniforms and they gave those away for free.

Most other promotions are still available the GM's have said the preorder bonuses are now vendor specific bonuses, collectors,DDE still get all their exclusives. So unfortunately the point you make is one for other games.
Right, Cryptic decided to cross promote to drum up some interest and excitement about their other game. This isn't a new concept; companies have been doing it for years. Some people went for it, others didn't.

I'm sorry that those uniforms weren't worth the money to you. That doesn't mean they should be made available in a different way to accommodate you.

And don't start in with how this is Star Trek, and people don't follow the spirit of the show, blah, blah, blah. It's a game that you clearly spent a LOT of money on. Capitalism is very much against the spirit of the show, and it didn't stop any of us from buying the game (multiple copies in some cases), the LTS, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 77
05-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andeolus View Post
But I also don't mind that I don't have it. I knew what I had to do to get it and I passed. Same thing with the preorder bonuses. I didn't buy every single one for the freebies, I picked the one I liked best and decided it wasn't worth spending the extra money. I think you're better off convincing them to create a MU uniform from a later series and putting that in the shop.
I had the chance to go lifetime with CO...I knew what I was getting into. I didn't get it for one good reason: superhero games aren't really my style (although I DID have some fun in CoV). $200.00 wasn't worth it for the unis, so I passed. I would love to see them (or alternatives) available in some form, but I won't cry and whine if I don't get them. I also didn't get all of the special pre-order bonus items as, while all of them were things I wanted, I had to pick-and-choose what were the top of my list. I went with the DDE & CE (from GameStop), but didn't get the Amazon/BestBuy/etc. It would have cost too much.

What it comes down to is money. Cryptic wants to make as much as possible, but some things just can't be gotten anymore. The MU unis are one of them. I say to make them available as a special accolade unlock or Vet reward...just not up for sale in the C-Store.
Lt. Commander
# 78
05-12-2010, 10:31 AM
umpa lumpa dopeedee dooo.. giveus the uniforms or we'll kill you! :O
Lt. Commander
# 79
05-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
Translation: Mine all mine muhahahahahahahahaha.. ginger kids dont share.
You translation sucks.

I paid for it. You pay for it .. you get it. You are not asking to share. You are saying "Give me free what you paid for."

Go back to Russia.
Lt. Commander
# 80
05-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
Paying for means: I give money for something I see and want.

I'm really sure the CO-lifetimers did see "Lifetime abo for Champions Online" = paying once for CO and not monthly. I bet they didnt even know about STO that times.
So they didnt pay for it, they payed for something else and got that as addidtion later.
I am sure you are wrong.
Closed Thread