Lt. Commander
# 171
05-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_illustrious_q
And that would be different from any other MMO how exactly? The more experienced and powerful players in most MMO's are usually the ones who have been playing in the game for years and have spent/bought more time in the game than anyone else, which allowed them to acquire items, powers, and weapons that others can't get.
The difference being everyone who spent that time in-game (and paid for it) could have earned what they did, in the subscription MMO model.
Lt. Commander
# 172
05-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
The difference being everyone who spent that time in-game (and paid for it) could have earned what they did, in the subscription MMO model.
What if a piece of content that gave a specific game changing mechanic was removed? What about all those other players who join the game after that due to age, not knowing about the game, or simply waiting for the game to get to their liking? They're paying customers, shouldn't they have the same chance to earn those items/buffs/abilities?

Quote:
I'm referring to the endless claims made prior to release that STO would be a subscription-based game where everything that affected gameplay would be included in the subscription and that only cosmetics would be sold at a premium, not a cash store game where assets that affected gameplay would be sold (and especially not double-dipping with both). Turning back on that in increasingly substantial ways is what I find to be lacking in integrity.
I wasn't aware of those promises... curious.
Lt. Commander
# 173
05-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Quote:
What if a piece of content that gave a specific game changing mechanic was removed?
I've had that happen before. Not in this game though.
Lt. Commander
# 174
05-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Quote:

It was not quite like that. The claim was that nothing that could be considered game-affecting would be sold in the c-store without also being available somehow through playing the game.
Lt. Commander
# 175
05-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Quote:
What if a piece of content that gave a specific game changing mechanic was removed? What about all those other players who join the game after that due to age, not knowing about the game, or simply waiting for the game to get to their liking? They're paying customers, shouldn't they have the same chance to earn those items/buffs/abilities?

Oh you mean like +30 consoles? right
Lt. Commander
# 176
05-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I've had that happen before. Not in this game though.
NGE CU, are the extreme and still landmark examples of that practice.
Lt. Commander
# 177
05-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Yes, they should. Which is why the grandfathered console issue is an issue in the first place. All or nothing should have been changed.
Lt. Commander
# 178
05-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
It was not quite like that. The claim was that nothing that could be considered game-affecting would be sold in the c-store without also being available somehow through playing the game.
Which, of course, is already violated by selling the species with unique traits in the C-Store.

But selling game-effecting items through other means is just the same thing by a different name... but, hey, they can have their cake and eat it too I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 179
05-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Yes, they should. Which is why the grandfathered console issue is an issue in the first place. All or nothing should have been changed.
As someone has who a full set of each 30+consoles, and have ALL to benefit from this new system. I say it is an incredible disservice to any new players. Something like that would irritate me to no end if i joined a game and because i joined later will forever be nerfed because of it.
Lt. Commander
# 180
05-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Which, of course, is already violated by selling the species with unique traits in the C-Store.

But selling game-effecting items through other means is just the same thing by a different name... but, hey, they can have their cake and eat it too I guess.

I'm not contradicting that or cryptic's blatant money grabs. But you know me. stickler for the facts