Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
This game is NOT STABLE. I was playing on Holodeck and seeing regular crahses. Let's not even talk about how I have to quickly click the tribble button or the launcher crashes. But it's always the same. I hear a crackle in the speakers for awhile, then I get a "server not responding" message. For a minute the game is fine. Then I'm kicked off the server. This happens even if I use force verify. This was only on Tribble, now it's on Holodeck as well. Not a lot of fun when you're doing an explore mission and you've killed 4/5 enemies and now you have to do it all over AND your internet connection is hosed so you have to restart the computer as well.

This game is a piece of crap. It's not even out of Beta yet. I can't believe you people are working on another MMO when you can't even get this one right. Not to mention all the other criticisms of the game, lack of content, in no way like Star Trek, etc. Total crap. I would never recommend this game to ANYONE, let alone a Star Trek fan.

I'd rather play **** or Guild Wars, they may be boring but at least they work and the graphics are THOUSANDS of times better on only 4x antilaliasing. LOL!! Too funny.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-09-2010, 03:27 AM
i know your not going to believe this but, here it goes anyways. Its Not the game. Its either your rig or your ISP. Sounds more like your rig though. Perhaps a bad driver or you have a heat issue. If it was the game, there would be a ton more people on the forums complaining.

I see you sig lists stats of your rig and i must say, it looks impressive and very upto date....very nice. But, it still doesnt exclude the posibilty that something is wrong within. And for the record, this game runs fine on my 2 year old duel core 9600 GT.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-09-2010, 07:12 AM
It's not just his rig it's something about this game, my rock solid 4ghz OC crapped out after STO abuse. If you're overclocking try toning it down for summer, if not clean out your system and check your drivers.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Where is STO installed on your hard drive? Is it in Program Files? If it is, then that is the cause of your crashes. The devs have stated multiple times that installing it in Program files in Vista or Win7 will cause the game to be extremely unstable due to the security feature introduced in those OS's.

Try moving the game to MyDocs/Games and run it from there. The security features mentioned will not effect the game when it is installed anywhere other than Program Files.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by static_surge View Post
It's not just his rig it's something about this game, my rock solid 4ghz OC crapped out after STO abuse. If you're overclocking try toning it down for summer, if not clean out your system and check your drivers.
You might think its rock solid, but the fact that it crapped out with STO proves that its not.
Different programs have different ways of putting strain on the system, a latent instability waiting to rear its ugly head.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-09-2010, 11:14 PM
It's probably not his box. He's got an Nvidia card. The bulk of the people complaining have various Nvidia cards. I've seen the same things he's describing but my system is a little older. Core 2 Duo 3.0gHz, 2 gig 800Mhz RAM, Dual 8800 GT Nvidia cards. I don't have hard evidence to prove it, but it looks like there's something wrong relating to Nvidia cards.

I have a couple of memory dumps that I've only had time to briefly look at but they all crashed when gameclient.exe tried to use nv4_disp.dll.

The unfortunate thing is by the time they figure it out and fix it there won't be anyone left playing the game.

R-R
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-10-2010, 02:25 PM
I have an old Nvidia card, Geforce 7600 GT. My game runs fine until Cryptic adds a major patch, then I have the same problems as the op, exyle. the only thing that fixes my issue is to update the Nvidia vid card drivers. i also have to run the game at the lowest settings, it's not pretty but it's playable.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-10-2010, 02:46 PM
My GTX 470 runs perfectly stable as did my 9800GTX+