Lt. Commander
# 21
05-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Aww... boo, I remember attacko's posts now... the "fact poster" ....

And he is in my friends post! Please beam him out!!!

Anyways...

Playable Borg faction = No...
If you had any sense of Star Trek Universe, you would know that it would not be possible...
Hive Mind = No single Borg thinks for it'self, unless Liberated and then it would join Star Fleet anyways...
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-10-2010, 09:22 AM
wooo borg
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-10-2010, 11:10 AM
I really cant see player faction borg work. Borg are ment to be Way over powered but it wouldnt be right if they made them as fair fight when it comes one on one with a single ship. The only player faction that should be in are

Fed - Klingon - Romulan - Dominion/cardies.

If they want to add another unique player faction then in should be freelance/mercs/traders.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-10-2010, 11:17 AM
I'd really rather see a last man standing "Infected" arena map based around the Borg then a full on faction.

With one side starting as Borg with specific Borg powers and the other side just trying to stay alive, game ends when all players have become Borg or all Borg are dead, switch sides and the other team starts as Borg and you start all over again in a Best of Three setup.

Best part is, this would work both on the ground and in space if you implemented it properly.
Ensign
# 25
12-22-2012, 11:58 PM
90% of the posters on this thread apparently never actually watched Star Trek.

The borg call themselves a collective but when you actually watch the series, as soon as the queen is introduced, it becomes apparent that they are very far from such. A collective, by definition, is the aggregate of the interests of individuals comprising a group. The borg serve no interest but that of the queen; the interests of all assimilated entities are filed and ignored...the borg programming forces those connected to its exonet to be devoid of all interest (by forgetting their identity) and provide nothing to an aggregate/collective other than information that can be used to create technology that enhances the interests of the queen. An actual cybernetic collective can be more appropriately found in the Geth from the Mass Effect series ... their minds are shared and all of their actions are an aggregate of the interests and opinions of the individual units comprising their collective. The borg are nothing more then a cybernetic mind control monarchy lead by a quasi-individual entity that forces its will upon all members linked to its network (the queen).

As for the argument of play-ability, they are perfectly playable provided that customization is greatly restricted. The queen is an entity that dominates the borg network and is capable of manufacturing multiple copies of itself and inhabiting biosynthetic body duplicates constructed of engineered organic material and android parts (as evidenced by TNG: First Contact). Borg troops are often disconnected from the main collective but still function as if connected due to the presence of queen entities in their networks. Each playable "captain" would simply have to be a copy of the queen. Playable borg wouldn't ruin their canon at all, but it'd be boring as hell to play considering all "captains" would be restricted to white female characters, none of the ships would be customizable and there'd only be four types of ships (as mentioned). By the way, to those that mentioned "assimilated ships" -- the borg typically dismantle those ships and use their constituent parts and materials in the manufacture of their own ship classes.

Anyway if you tl;dr'd --- No one here knows the definition of "collective" and the borg are totally playable but wouldn't be anything but a passing novelty that would occupy all of a day of someone's interest.
Captain
# 26
12-23-2012, 12:14 AM
This thread is over 2.5 years old so it will be burned with plasma. If you have some ideas on a Borg faction, then create your own thread. That said, a playable Borg faction would not be playing as part of the Collective since you would not have control of your character, but a faction like the Borg Cooperative or Hugh's group where they have some individuality. Dan Stahl, person in charge of STO, has mentioned he would like to see a Borg faction since it would be challenging.
Lieutenant
# 27
12-23-2012, 02:12 AM
Before the mods break out the pulsewave, I think a better idea would be a liberated borg faction. Not the same as the liberated borg pcs lifetimers get of course, but helping a liberated borg faction get off the ground would introduce tons of interesting storytelling opportunities.

With tons of liberated borg all over the place already, it's a natural progression from the current borg crisis given the final battle occurs (for now) in Into The Hive and Hive Onslaught.

It might also give us something to do in Gamma Orionis again. Or they could even put it in B'Tran.

Last edited by alchemistid; 12-23-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Don't know about you, but I'd love to get my hands on one of those Assimilated Scimitar ships that you see in the Khitomer STF run. Wicked as Hell!
Commander
# 29
12-23-2012, 10:32 AM
playable borg faction would be interesting.
and it would be easy to make, not alot of content required for a borg faction.

so i vote yes.
Captain
# 30
12-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Necromancy in STO forums is frowned upon. Given the degree of love displayed in these responses this particular sort of necromancy is especially frowned upon.
All cloaks should be canon.
Closed Thread