Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 41
03-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirksOtherSon View Post
Love the new ship design and the backstory, even though the Klingons are not my personal faction of choice.

Simultaneously, I'm embarrassed that the thread only got nine posts in before someone decided to complain.

This Raptor is not the same Raptor. The text states that very clearly. It's an homage design, not a remake or a refit. And the practice of giving translated, easy-use designations to foreign military vessels goes back at least as far as the Cold War against the former Soviet Union.

KOS
This isn't a game set on Earth. I'd understand it if it was. The ship was created for Klingon players, therefor it should have a Klingon name. They could put a side note saying "The Federation has labeled this ship as a Raptor class" and I'd be happy.

If they produced a Feddie ship and called it the "QIppong" or something like that, the Feddies on this board would complain. I'm here to roleplay a Klingon, but Cryptic isn't creating a place I can do that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 42
03-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattonJ007 View Post
Yes they look similar but its not the same thing ... Id rather have an NX Class than an Akira Class.
Come now... the USS Thunderchild is very cool!
:-P
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 43
03-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Two thumbs up very nice klingon ship
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 44
03-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo999 View Post
sweet i look forward to turning them into a debrie field
agreed but this rise qestion on my part of klingons are diging to to the past we the fedaration tooo maby constitution revamp i hope lol i like this littel ship i can't wanr hijack one for study raptor class you say
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 45
03-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurgh View Post
This isn't a game set on Earth. I'd understand it if it was. The ship was created for Klingon players, therefor it should have a Klingon name. They could put a side note saying "The Federation has labeled this ship as a Raptor class" and I'd be happy.

If they produced a Feddie ship and called it the "QIppong" or something like that, the Feddies on this board would complain. I'm here to roleplay a Klingon, but Cryptic isn't creating a place I can do that.
I understand your complaint and I see your point that a Klingon name doesn't seem like too much to ask for... I wasn't totally gaga over the NX9100 they released... I thought they could have come up with a class name instead of a designation and felt that it looked like a Sovereign with a sensor pod... but I figured there are enough other ships around that I wouldn't have to use one if I didn't want to... and that's kinda how I feel about the Raptor... I think its cool and with the exception of the name it feels Klingon... but if the name were a sticking point... I wouldn't use it... I'd stick with a K'Vort or a Vor'cha...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 46
03-02-2009, 12:33 PM
nice ship indeed, cant wait to blow her up in STO
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 47
03-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurgh View Post
This isn't a game set on Earth. I'd understand it if it was. The ship was created for Klingon players, therefor it should have a Klingon name. They could put a side note saying "The Federation has labeled this ship as a Raptor class" and I'd be happy.

If they produced a Feddie ship and called it the "QIppong" or something like that, the Feddies on this board would complain. I'm here to roleplay a Klingon, but Cryptic isn't creating a place I can do that.
i see your point but what is in the name of the ship a ship is ship no matter the class but klingons are warrior so you have honor use that forget the silly things like ship class names it dos not matter if you in brid or pray or raptor class am still gonn blow you up
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 48
03-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Martin View Post
I understand your complaint and I see your point that a Klingon name doesn't seem like too much to ask for... I wasn't totally gaga over the NX9100 they released... I thought they could have come up with a class name instead of a designation and felt that it looked like a Sovereign with a sensor pod... but I figured there are enough other ships around that I wouldn't have to use one if I didn't want to... and that's kinda how I feel about the Raptor... I think its cool and with the exception of the name it feels Klingon... but if the name were a sticking point... I wouldn't use it... I'd stick with a K'Vort or a Vor'cha...
I can agree with that too. If there was only going to be one Klingon ship with an English name I probably wouldn't care, but if Cryptic doesn't care enough to give one new ship a Klingon name, what hope do we have that they will have Klingon names for the other Klingon ships (or Romulan names for Romulan ships, Cardassian names for Cardassians ships, etc).

This is Star Trek Online, not Feddie Trek Online...

And Cryptic, again I offer my language skills to help you guys improve the game and make a better roleplay experience for all players.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 49
03-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirksOtherSon View Post
Love the new ship design and the backstory, even though the Klingons are not my personal faction of choice.

Simultaneously, I'm embarrassed that the thread only got nine posts in before someone decided to complain.

This Raptor is not the same Raptor. The text states that very clearly. It's an homage design, not a remake or a refit. And the practice of giving translated, easy-use designations to foreign military vessels goes back at least as far as the Cold War against the former Soviet Union.

KOS
I actually sympathize with qurgh on this one. While it's quite true that NATO had its own Western reporting system for each type of Soviet weapons system during the Cold War - just as the Soviets surely did for NATO weapons systems - the Soviets certainly had a name for those systems in their own language.

For example, the AKULA Class Soviet attack submarine was known, in Russian, as the SHCHUKA-B (citation).

The RAPTOR Class, as it is currently known, surely has its own name in the Klingon language. While its undoubtedly true that Qo'nos features predatory birds, they're surely not called "raptors" - which isn't really the point. Rather, it's the matter of perspective. If Cryptic is writing all these documents as if they were reports issued from Starfleet Intelligence, then it certainly makes sense; but absent that, I think there are certainly players who are excited about being able to play as Klingons who would hope that documents for their faction would be written from "their" perspective, particularly as much of the text of this otherwise outstanding piece is.

Perhaps Cryptic could commission this as a forum contest - to create the Klingon name for this, and possibly future, classes?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 50
03-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattonJ007 View Post
Yes they look similar but its not the same thing ... Id rather have an NX Class than an Akira Class.
oh yes sorry, they changed the shape of the nacelles and thats it :p but hey if you want to fly around in a 300/400 year old ship compared to the newer Akira then by all means go ahead..just dont go calling for help and complain the enemy ship is far superior :p
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:10 AM.