Lt. Commander
# 51
03-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinC-UFPForces-Cardassia View Post
I actually sympathize with qurgh on this one. While it's quite true that NATO had its own Western reporting system for each type of Soviet weapons system during the Cold War - just as the Soviets surely did for NATO weapons systems - the Soviets certainly had a name for those systems in their own language.

For example, the AKULA Class Soviet attack submarine was known, in Russian, as the SHCHUKA-B (citation).

The RAPTOR Class, as it is currently known, surely has its own name in the Klingon language. While its undoubtedly true that Qo'nos features predatory birds, they're surely not called "raptors" - which isn't really the point. Rather, it's the matter of perspective. If Cryptic is writing all these documents as if they were reports issued from Starfleet Intelligence, then it certainly makes sense; but absent that, I think there are certainly players who are excited about being able to play as Klingons who would hope that documents for their faction would be written from "their" perspective, particularly as much of the text of this otherwise outstanding piece is.

Perhaps Cryptic could commission this as a forum contest - to create the Klingon name for this, and possibly future, classes?
Woot! Thank you for your post! This is exactly the point I'm trying to make.

Creating this information for the Klingon perspective is one of the goals of a guild/fleet I created: http://qeylisghitlhwi.gamerdna.com/
Lt. Commander
# 52
03-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Quote:
I actually sympathize with qurgh on this one. While it's quite true that NATO had its own Western reporting system for each type of Soviet weapons system during the Cold War - just as the Soviets surely did for NATO weapons systems - the Soviets certainly had a name for those systems in their own language.

For example, the AKULA Class Soviet attack submarine was known, in Russian, as the SHCHUKA-B (citation).

The RAPTOR Class, as it is currently known, surely has its own name in the Klingon language. While its undoubtedly true that Qo'nos features predatory birds, they're surely not called "raptors" - which isn't really the point. Rather, it's the matter of perspective. If Cryptic is writing all these documents as if they were reports issued from Starfleet Intelligence, then it certainly makes sense; but absent that, I think there are certainly players who are excited about being able to play as Klingons who would hope that documents for their faction would be written from "their" perspective, particularly as much of the text of this otherwise outstanding piece is.

Perhaps Cryptic could commission this as a forum contest - to create the Klingon name for this, and possibly future, classes?

Great suggestion!
Lt. Commander
# 53
03-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Quote:
I

Agree. Contests have been great so far and this could only add.
Lt. Commander
# 54
03-02-2009, 12:43 PM
The Raptor class is ok, but I do think its a bit cheap to just reuse an old ship (especially one that old), slap a bunch of new weapons on it, and call it a new ship.
Lt. Commander
# 55
03-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurgh View Post
I can agree with that too. If there was only going to be one Klingon ship with an English name I probably wouldn't care, but if Cryptic doesn't care enough to give one new ship a Klingon name, what hope do we have that they will have Klingon names for the other Klingon ships (or Romulan names for Romulan ships, Cardassian names for Cardassians ships, etc).

This is Star Trek Online, not Feddie Trek Online...

And Cryptic, again I offer my language skills to help you guys improve the game and make a better roleplay experience for all players.
AM pretty new to star trek but are there limeted number of klingon words so for klingon player to give his starship a name in the klingon language that would be vary hard to do right? am just asking
Lt. Commander
# 56
03-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by osena View Post
AM pretty new to star trek but are there limeted number of klingon words so for klingon player to give his starship a name in the klingon language that would be vary hard to do right? am just asking
I've been a Trek fan and speaking Klingon for over 15 years (started when I was a kid).

My Klingon dictionary has over 3000 words in it, which is enough to translate Hamlet, Much ado about nothing, Gilgamesh and the Tao Teh Ching (all of which are available in Klingon). If there are enough words to translate these great works, there are easily enough words to name every Klingon ship class (and that's without creating new words like qIvo'rIt, qItI'nga' and bI'rel (K'Vort, K'Tinga, B'Rel).
Lt. Commander
# 57
03-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurgh View Post
They could put a side note saying "The Federation has labeled this ship as a Raptor class" and I'd be happy..
The use of a non-Klingon name for the class implies that this is what's happening here. That's what I was driving at, originally.

Raptor is the Star Trek equivalent of what's called a reporting name (Definition Link).

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 58
03-02-2009, 12:50 PM
It's a nitpick for sure, but I agree... let's have "Raptor" in Klingon! Is there a direct translation for "Raptor" or something close?
Lt. Commander
# 59
03-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueEnterprise View Post
It's a nitpick for sure, but I agree... let's have "Raptor" in Klingon! Is there a direct translation for "Raptor" or something close?
Yeah, toQDuj, which is the name for all the "Bird of Prey" ships.
Lt. Commander
# 60
03-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Quote:
ma'ovnISbe' . qI'raq buvvam ponglu' 'e' vIwuqta' . choqaDmeH butlh law' DaghajnIS . butlh law' , betleH jej je .
{ There is no need for us to compete. I have decided that this class shall be called K'rak. You'd need a lot of dirt under your fingernails to challenge me! Much dirt, and a sharp bat'leth! }

P.S. Not trying to be rude, or anything... ...just trying to be Klingon