Lt. Commander
I only played for under a month after launch before I unsubscribed, but thought I'd come back for welcome back weekend to check out the improvements. I think welcome back weekend is a great idea. At this point, I'm not resubscribing, but I will take advantage of any future welcome back weekends. Hopefully, one day, I'll resubscribe. Perhaps when a diplomacy system is launched.

I'm a hardcore trekkie, but a casual gamer. My only other MMO experience is having played a little bit of WoW.

For my welcome back weekend, I started from the beginning with a new character, as I had forgotten much about the game. My first impression was that the tutorial was quite dramatic, and what i'd expect from a Star Trek game: on a bridge in the midst of battle, being given orders by the captain, operating consoles, shooting borg in cooridors. Again, it struck me was that the tutorial ground combat was fun, especially positioning myself for flanking damage. I didn't notice any changes to the tutorial from last time I did it, but that's ok.

Post-tutorial, the game started to lose me almost immediately. First, the very idea of skill points doesn't seem to quite fit with the spirit of Star Trek. (I admit I really don't understand, skill points and how they work, i'm just giving my impressions a casual gamer and Trek fan). I would have expected that my characters skills would develop as I practiced that skill. For example, if I wanted to be good with a phaser, I'd need to practice my phaser skills on the holodeck, or try to do missions that involved a lot of ground combat. But instead it seems like you're just given skill points for doing anything, and you can spend them on anything. I felt like rather than skill-points (or even items) as rewards for doing a quest, the reward should be social capital. For example, If I did well in a science mission, the admiralty might be more likely to give me important science missions in the future. Or, if I performed well in a diplomatic mission, my security clearance might be raised. Stuff like that.

Not feeling enthusiastic about the missions the admiral had assigned, I decided to just go exploring and so I went to Risa. In all the Star Trek episodes on Risa, the crew went for relaxation and ended up being drawn into some situation, so I was expecting someone on Risa to ask me for help, or to hit on me, or something. But no. There was only one NPC I could talk to, and she just wanted to buy and sell stuff. I didn't have enough money.

As for the new content, I never found it. Nor would i know how to. I soon gave up and logged off.

I guess I was hoping that STO would be an immersive experience, something like Oblivion or Knights of the Old Republic, or even WoW. At the moment, it seems more like a space and ground combat game (and quite a good one) with the extra hassle of having to travel through sector space, run around space dock etc. to get to the next mission. If Cryptic never really intends to make STO immersive, perhaps it would be better to remove the RPG element, or at least, make it optional. Just have a menu with a list of missions to do, and a store menu with a list of equipment, so players can just jump straight to the battles they want to do with the equipment they want to do it with.

Just my $0.02.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Did you have the same issue with skill points when you played World of ********? Because they had talent trees that accomplish the same goal.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-09-2010, 11:12 PM
You hail star fleet to get missions. You don't have to go back to the Star bases much at all. The hail Star Fleet button is on the mini map.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Did you have the same issue with skill points when you played World of ********? Because they had talent trees that accomplish the same goal.
Good point. And no, for some reason, the talent points seem to fit better in WoW. Not sure why. Perhaps it is because WoW also has skills that you have to practice in addition to talents. For example, staves, defense, alchemy etc. As far as I could see, that's not the case for STO, or did I miss something?
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
You hail star fleet to get missions. You don't have to go back to the Star bases much at all. The hail Star Fleet button is on the mini map.
Ah OK. But, you get my point. It seems like the things people do enjoy about STO (i.e., the combat) aren't really RPG elements. So why not remove the RPG aspect of the game? Just make it a ground and space combat game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-09-2010, 11:25 PM
I wasn't really expecting things to have changed much since the last time I played but there are a few interesting changes that I do like, and a lot of things that I didn't like which still haven't been fixed. I made two referrals...neither of which actually seem to have resulted in a referral joining STO, but maybe in a few months something else will come around for STO.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels00 View Post
Good point. And no, for some reason, the talent points seem to fit better in WoW. Not sure why. Perhaps it is because WoW also has skills that you have to practice in addition to talents. For example, staves, defense, alchemy etc. As far as I could see, that's not the case for STO, or did I miss something?
I was merely asking since you did bring up the previous game you played. And it did have a similar type of thing. Yes I do remember you had some skill ups that only came through combat. And no, this game doesn't really have that.

I believe the intent here is to allow for a lot of customization on the player side. So you can build your character the way you want to, without being ... I don't want to say forced, because that's got a negative connotation ... uh ... rigidly prompted to engage in repetitive combat activity solely for the purpose of increasing one skill?

Your post was an interesting read. And I do apoligize for merely zeroing in on just one tiny detail of it. It's just the part that caught my eye the quickest is all.

Lt. Commander
# 8
05-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I was merely asking since you did bring up the previous game you played. And it did have a similar type of thing. Yes I do remember you had some skill ups that only came through combat. And no, this game doesn't really have that.

I believe the intent here is to allow for a lot of customization on the player side. So you can build your character the way you want to, without being ... I don't want to say forced, because that's got a negative connotation ... uh ... rigidly prompted to engage in repetitive combat activity solely for the purpose of increasing one skill?

Your post was an interesting read. And I do apoligize for merely zeroing in on just one tiny detail of it. It's just the part that caught my eye the quickest is all.

Oh, no, I didn't take any offence. It was a good point. I just wasn't sure if perhaps there was some aspect of skill points that I didn't understand.

RE: being forced to 'skill farm' (to coin a phrase), that's a good point. But, I guess I was thinking that, if skills were accumulated through practice, you would end up skilled in the aspects of the game you enjoy most. For casual players, it would make it less intimidating to get your skill/talent tree right. If you enjoy space combat, then through following your natural desire to do that a lot, you'll increase your skills in that area. It might also encourage cooperation among players. Say if I need a science skill to complete a certain mission, but I don't enjoy science, and don't want to skill up in that area, I could ask another player for help. Another option might be to send one of my bridge officers off for a period of time to do training in a particular area, to gain skills that my character lacks. "Ensign Crusher, I order you to take a runabout to Risa and brush up on your cocktail making skills."
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels00 View Post
In a way you missed something, but maybe not too much.

In regards to advancement, most roleplaying games (even "pen & paper" ones where you don't have a stupid computer managing the NPCs but a human player) use some kind of experience point or skill point system where you get points for achieving goals and can spend them in any way you like, even if this is not actually related to what you did.

In Startrek Online, there is one "learning-by-doing" skill system at the moment - this would be Memory Alpha as its "crafting" system. The current UI is not very helpful in understand what is going on (the test server has a better UI that will go live soon), but basically, the more you craft, the higher level items you can create.

As I understand, the plans for the Prime Directive (not sure if that's still the name) system to cover diplomatic missions and stuff like that is supposed to also have a skill system like that. But that isn't in the game yet. You might want to check for updates when the next welcome-back weekend comes around to see if it's implemented already and how you can access it then.

Quote:
For casual players, it would make it less intimidating to get your skill/talent tree right. If you enjoy space combat, then through following your natural desire to do that a lot, you'll increase your skills in that area. I
Certainly a good point. Particularly because parts of the skill system are... difficult to understand. I mean, increasing your starship weapon skills is intuitively easy to understand, but getting what a skill like "Doctor" actually affects and what you need to do to benefit is ... less so.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-10-2010, 12:11 AM
I too unsubcribed at the beginning of April and thought i'd take up the weekend back play. Thought it was a good idea, and i found a few things better... mainly the combat maybe nothings changed with that but whilst i was fighting the borg i found it better not sure why (lol).

Other than that still nothing exciting any different a went to a couple of systems fought some battles went to try infected.. and when i got there not 1 single person was playing it?!? is it that bad? I tried on my own for about 30 seconds then gave up.

I also won't be re-subcribing as all in all nothings really changed I was fun for a while to fly around again but still not worth the time and money it costs per month.

Live long and prosper.