Lt. Commander
No offense but amoebas have more common sense than your marketing department...

Are you in a hurry to get people in and not able to wait to July? Is that a unfortunate side effect to the referal program and veteran rewards? Are you trying very hard to make sure that those who go never come back? Is Naomi Campbell ever gonna stop going all Klingon on the reporter petaQs?

I really want to know...
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-10-2010, 06:56 AM
Free weekends are standard practice for the MMO biz.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-10-2010, 07:01 AM
You didnt read it did you? *strokes the bunny*
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
Free weekends are standard practice AFTER A FEW YEARS once the game has improved greatly to have actually responded to player feedback when they cancel.

This was WAY too early. It should have been done AFTER season 2 to show off interiors and say, "look, you guys wanted to fly your ship from the inside? Here you go, interiors, which are functional, and you can navigate from the bridge, and heal damage and repair the ship from sickbay and engineering"

Right now it seems like a lot of people quit over a variety of reasons and Cryptics response is "We fixed some bugs, added a difficulty slider, there are a few missions at end game now, look how much better it is" This isn't really what players left over, so with this being the only things fixed, this really isn't going to get them to come back.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tychus_Findley

Are you in a hurry to get people in and not able to wait to July? Is that a unfortunate side effect to the referal program and veteran rewards? Are you trying very hard to make sure that those who go never come back? Is Naomi Campbell ever gonna stop going all Klingon on the reporter petaQs?

I really want to know...
It is either desperation (not unlikely, given the perceptible drop in players in game), or their team just lacks foresight and is struggling to make goals.

It could also be a combination of both. But until Cryptic gives us a straight answer (which I doubt they would), we are left to speculation. Unfortunately... nothing points to wisdom or secret success as it is right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
Do you work in the industry? Because I do, and free weekends became a staple with Warhammer, and then with *** both largely unsuccessful games. They did that months after closing down servers, and community fiascos. What Cryptic does it not the norm for the industry, but is the "norm" for them it is seemingly becoming. Blizzard to my knowledge has had RaF programs but not free weekends.

As for having a "please come back weekend"... 2-3 months after a game's launch? Well, Cryptic popularized this, starting with CO. I'd imagine their average subscription retention rate per game will make this a sort of "Cryptic tradition". Note to self... never buy a Cryptic box to try a game again... just wait a few months for their free "please come back weekend. "
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Quote:

I really want to troll...
I am sure you offended nobody.

If they did welcome back weedend within a month of Season 2, I'd Be upset. I rather have dev's support paying customers and fix bugs, assist current customers, and focus on minor patches im sure they will have to do after season's 2 release.

I am sure welcome back weekend is them trying very hard to make sure that "those who go" never come back.

Either people will re-sub for season 2 or not, free weekend for season 2 though? Come on...Maybe a couple months afterward.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-10-2010, 07:15 AM
Its a pretty standard practice for nearly any game these days. The number of months are irrelevant. Sony took an exceptionally odd way to go about it in EQ2 recently, by adding a wacky 'subscription plan' that only lets you play 2 days a month. SOE cracks me up at times.

But anyway I'd expect a second such weekend when Season 2 happens. I'm sure the only reason for this one was to test it out while launching the Vet & referral programs. Feedback from this one will help them on that more important one.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Free weekends are a decent way to bring back early leavers. 1.2 has tons of material in it, and to be fair, from launch to 1.2 is a decent amount of headway. We're not 'there' yet, no, but we're moving significantly fast (in MMO terms).

I'm sure 2.0 or 2.1 will see another free weekend, and so on. I'm equally sure that someone who decided not to sub up after the 30 days ended will find the progress so far fixed or added something to give them reason to stay a bit.

Consider it this way - 1 is essentially finished. Free weekend. 2.0 hits, tweaked in 2.1, finished in 2.2, free weekend, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Quote:
I am sure you offended nobody.

If they did welcome back weedend within a month of Season 2, I'd Be upset. I rather have dev's support paying customers and fix bugs, assist current customers, and focus on minor patches im sure they will have to do after season's 2 release.

I am sure welcome back weekend is them trying very hard to make sure that "those who go" never come back.

Either people will re-sub for season 2 or not, free weekend for season 2 though? Come on...Maybe a couple months afterward.
I never specified how early after season 2 is live they should do this. I only question the wisdom of doing it before that. So my guess is you knew you would disagree even before you read my post.

So in light of this and your lack of arguments on the Naomi situation I would say you are here to troll

Quote:
Free weekends are a decent way to bring back early leavers. 1.2 has tons of material in it,...
You see I think you need to lie down because you are hallucinating
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Quote:
So in light of this and your lack of arguments on the Naomi situation I would say you are here to troll
This coming from a person who begins their OP with...

Quote:
Who really cares why they decided to hold a free weekend? Good for them. If it helped bring in a few new subscribers or to have a few returning players re-sub, it's a good thing.