Lt. Commander
# 21
05-10-2010, 09:30 AM
V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laediin View Post
Free weekends are standard practice AFTER A FEW YEARS once the game has improved greatly to have actually responded to player feedback when they cancel.

This was WAY too early. It should have been done AFTER season 2 to show off interiors and say, "look, you guys wanted to fly your ship from the inside? Here you go, interiors, which are functional, and you can navigate from the bridge, and heal damage and repair the ship from sickbay and engineering"

Right now it seems like a lot of people quit over a variety of reasons and Cryptics response is "We fixed some bugs, added a difficulty slider, there are a few missions at end game now, look how much better it is" This isn't really what players left over, so with this being the only things fixed, this really isn't going to get them to come back.
I don't agree with how you said it, but I agree with what you are saying. Having a welcome back weekend so soon with nothing really new speaks of a failing game. Waiting for real change after Season 2 would have shown confidence in the changes and thier game. Just another bad move in an ever growing list.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-10-2010, 10:26 AM
It's a marketing gimmick. One that works. It doesn't speak of failure at all.

LOOK at the forums. How many new players and returning players took advantage of this. It worked. As cynical as we all might like to feel about it ... it was a marketing gimmick that worked. It didn't fail. The game isn't failing.

They'll offer more of these. Just like they do in their other game. And over time, more people will come back.

Free. That's the key word in this marketing gimmick. It's free. It loses no one anything other than time. Time to try out the game. It's made of win. Because it lets people play it for free.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Just my opinion, but having a free weekend or a welcome back weekend before all the content goodness in July is sorta a wasted opportunity and IMO counterproductive... I had a friend come back and he was not overly impressed by what was added since he left after 30 days. He liked the STF (He did hardcore raiding in WoW, although he did have some issues with the amount of trash in the STFs). He also really enjoyed the addition of the difficulty slider... however when he was done, he stated that would would probably not come back in July unless "I" am impressed with the content they add... most people will give something a second chance... but not a third chance. Cryptic does not need to waste the second chance they can get with people until they have added a lot more stuff to the game, I.E. wait till July.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-10-2010, 10:42 PM
best guess, panic on seeing subscription projections.

do remember, life time subs already paid, and they have already spent that money.
If the monthy subs fall to much.....plug is pulled
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-11-2010, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
It's a marketing gimmick. One that works. It doesn't speak of failure at all.

LOOK at the forums. How many new players and returning players took advantage of this. It worked. As cynical as we all might like to feel about it ... it was a marketing gimmick that worked. It didn't fail. The game isn't failing.

They'll offer more of these. Just like they do in their other game. And over time, more people will come back.

Free. That's the key word in this marketing gimmick. It's free. It loses no one anything other than time. Time to try out the game. It's made of win. Because it lets people play it for free.
Actually speaking from playing the game I see no more players now that I saw a week ago. I still think the timing for those promotions is rather unfortunate and have really hurt the game in terms of credibility. So maybe you think its worked because your experiences are different than mine. Fair dues. I still see more people I used t play leave and those that came back to check it out this wekend were hardly impressed past the weekend. I am not here to state whether the actual game is failing as such. My thread relates to the promotional blunders that seem to have followed a chain reaction since launch that IMO have hurt the playerbase most likely beyond repair.

Quote:
What about the people who left because there was no difficulty setting or death penalty? Or those who left due to 1 endgame STF?

Sure, there were those who left for the reasons you pointed out, but there were those who left for a variety of other reasons. Saying "most left because of X" is a guess and you have no real evidence to back that up. You've no idea what the reasons are people did not stay with STO after their free month expired.

Some things have been added since launch that might be what those who left were looking for. If it the free weekend helped get them to re-sub, it was worth it, regardless of timing.
On another note, the slider and injury system may have been some people's primary concern, like some have pointed out but that does not mean that someone would not be affected by other aspects of the game. I think everyone is unhappy with RA5 content regardless of other complains. Many people hate STF with a passion and the single daily 3 months now is rather a stagnant epilogue since the Genesis is yet to live up to expectations. My evidence is the concensus from the vast majority of reactions in game (not the forums). Higher difficulty was welcome but there is only so much you can test it on save leveling another alt. And most people in my fleet already have all their slots full trying all careers. So maybe I have no evidence as such but neither have you. At least I can report on what I see in hopes to gather more information.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-11-2010, 04:29 AM
Hi

I was one such person that has benefitted from the free weekend. As someone who has been following the saga of this mmo and did want it to succeed, I was disappointed with the reviews. So I held back.

I took advantage of the free demo for newcomers and so far I have enjoyed it.

However, my major concern is all the negativity surrounding the game. The patch seems to have improved the game from what I can read on the forums but still is short of what the community wants!

That has left me in a delimma; to buy or wait and see what happens in the next 2/3 months?

Decisions Decisions!!

K
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-11-2010, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Hi

I was one such person that has benefitted from the free weekend. As someone who has been following the saga of this mmo and did want it to succeed, I was disappointed with the reviews. So I held back.

I took advantage of the free demo for newcomers and so far I have enjoyed it.

However, my major concern is all the negativity surrounding the game. The patch seems to have improved the game from what I can read on the forums but still is short of what the community wants!

That has left me in a delimma; to buy or wait and see what happens in the next 2/3 months?

Decisions Decisions!!

K
You should never allow your decision to be made purely on someone elses view of the game. If you are enjoying it then that is all you need to know. The "negativity" you see is merely a reflection from people who been around long enough to hit the bumps along he road. You should be aware of what the game limitations and strengths are but its always better to experience for yourself. If the improvements have been enough for you, then all the merrier since you have even more to look forward to once season 2 hits

Thank you for the first hand feedback
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-11-2010, 04:59 AM
trek read up on the engineering reports, they should have alot of interesting info for ya
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-11-2010, 05:07 AM
Thanks - just found the engineering reports.

All looks very positive.

Looks like I will be beaming aboard.

T
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-11-2010, 05:15 AM
my pleasure