Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
05-10-2010, 03:24 PM
what I don't get is why is it even a problem? I thought they bought the rights or something to everything Trek from CBS so why are there limits on what they can do?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
05-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris
Honestly, none of them. I'm not so attached to the idea of having Captain Data or Ambassador Picard show up that I'd be willing to inflict a permenant change on their characters just to avoid likeness rights. If Cryptic/Atari could come to an agreement with the actors, I'd love to see them appear. But changing them as much as you have to just to say you have them in the game doesn't fit with me.
The JJ-verse has happened. So ... there's two alternate timelines. This game isn't hard canon. It might be, or might not be, soft canon. There's so much room for flexibility. And if the next Abrams Kirk movie is as big a hit as the last one, the next time we see the Picard crew might very well be in a few decades when the Next Next Generation gets an Abrams-Style reboot.

The door's open for some fun with the characters we love. Starfleet isn't such a huge organization that important members of its service won't get bumped into from time to time. Captain Data is captain of the fleet's flagship for instance.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
05-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
what I don't get is why is it even a problem? I thought they bought the rights or something to everything Trek from CBS so why are there limits on what they can do?
Problems most likely stem from CBS ... the new movie ... and any lingering issues with the JJ-Verse.

For instance, there's always the risk the game reveals something about the new movie, inadvertently, too early and unofficially and unapproved.

Other than that, there's just the basic corporate management required of these things. This game falls under the toys department. dstahl's already noted there's a specific person at CBS that is involved in OKing things. That takes time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
05-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
what I don't get is why is it even a problem? I thought they bought the rights or something to everything Trek from CBS so why are there limits on what they can do?
CBS doesn't own the actor publicity rights or, to the extent they do, they weren't included here.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
05-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
The door's open for some fun with the characters we love. Starfleet isn't such a huge organization that important members of its service won't get bumped into from time to time. Captain Data is captain of the fleet's flagship for instance.
Then if it is that important to people, then I'd suggest that Cryptic/Atari should invest the money to get the rights to those characters. Just don't see the logic of saying "Here's Data, but he's torn his 'skin' off" just so you can say that Data appears. I'd prefer to see a work-around like they did with Spock for the Guardian of Forever mission than that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
05-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris
Then if it is that important to people, then I'd suggest that Cryptic/Atari should invest the money to get the rights to those characters. Just don't see the logic of saying "Here's Data, but he's torn his 'skin' off" just so you can say that Data appears. I'd prefer to see a work-around like they did with Spock for the Guardian of Forever mission than that.
Well the maiming suggestion comes from Leviathan. I'm sure Cryptic would rather do as you suggest and give us Data. Maybe a little bit altered (like the grey hair streak you see in All Good Things). But Data.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:25 AM.