Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
05-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune
News flash: STO is a MMO. Not a FPS.
New Flash: EVE is an MMO and has more subscribers, success as a business, and has made a ton more money with no 45 year old pre-established IP. And guess what the ground combat in there is? Nada.

Just sayin'...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
05-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyXP View Post
New Flash: EVE is an MMO and has more subscribers, success as a business, and has made a ton more money with no 45 year old pre-established IP. And guess what the ground combat in there is? Nada.

Just sayin'...
Way to deliver no point at all ... or in what way is that even slightly relevant to the post you quoted?

Oh i get it, you just shoot randomly at posts in this thread now, cause you are still mad about being called out by surgery right?

Just asking.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
05-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyXP View Post
New Flash: EVE is an MMO and has more subscribers, success as a business, and has made a ton more money with no 45 year old pre-established IP. And guess what the ground combat in there is? Nada.

Just sayin'...
I don't play Eve any more but I keep up to date on news. I believe you'll find that ground combat is indeed on the cards and it will very much be in the FPS genre. From what I've seen of tests it puts STOs current ground combat to shame.

With regards to the threat in general, I used to like ground PvP but having three people swarm around me and repeatedly spam rifle butt was the end of it to me. I also have a serious aversion to the skill system where I can't be great at space and great at ground combat because the skills are all on the same tree and limited by the skill point cap. Sure, I could go for 50/50 but then you lose out to others who are specifically skilled for one area.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
05-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goukes View Post
Way to deliver no point at all ... or in what way is that even slightly relevant to the post you quoted?

Oh i get it, you just shoot randomly at posts in this thread now, cause you are still mad about being called out by surgery right?

Just asking.
Actually the point is that his claim that MMO has no FPS-style ground combat simply because it is an MMO is false. Even Final Fantasy XI back in the days had a first-person view. So it is completely to the failed attempt at the quoted post to slam someone else.

And since I don't see the name DOB anywhere in Surgery's posts, he never called me out. But we do have an open Tournament thread which we noticed FS failed to enroll in. So, while they may be "calling out the server" on the ground....in space things are a bit different.

If you guys like ground combat...as I've stated...I'm happy for you and happy you enjoy it. I feel the same about space combat. Everyone has things they're good at. But just because Air Force Officers cannot effectively drive a tank or an Army Officer cannot fly a fighter jet doesn't make one any better than the other...they're just specialists in different areas.

Now, Goukes, if you'd like to get a group together I'm sure DOB can accommodate a little training session for you...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
05-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Actually the point is that his claim that MMO has no FPS-style ground combat simply because it is an MMO is false. Even Final Fantasy XI back in the days had a first-person view. So it is completely to the failed attempt at the quoted post to slam someone else.
Then you obviously completely failed to understand the post you quoted, as it was a reply on someone who actually compared sto ground pvp to first person shooters.

Quote:
And since I don't see the name DOB anywhere in Surgery's posts, he never called me out.
Let me quote Surge here
Quote:
I find it so amusing how there are a couple of fleets here on the forum that only do space pvp, and they're swinging their e-dicks around, yet they're unimaginably horrible at ground pvp
Ok DOB isn't named dircetly, but hell the discription is pretty damn accurate isn't it? And since you replied you obviously understood exactely who it was directed to.

Quote:
Now, Goukes, if you'd like to get a group together I'm sure DOB can accommodate a little training session for you...
On the ground? That would be awesome, i also wouldn't need a group for that so we could start over right now!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
05-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyonas View Post
I don't play Eve any more but I keep up to date on news. I believe you'll find that ground combat is indeed on the cards and it will very much be in the FPS genre. From what I've seen of tests it puts STOs current ground combat to shame.

With regards to the threat in general, I used to like ground PvP but having three people swarm around me and repeatedly spam rifle butt was the end of it to me. I also have a serious aversion to the skill system where I can't be great at space and great at ground combat because the skills are all on the same tree and limited by the skill point cap. Sure, I could go for 50/50 but then you lose out to others who are specifically skilled for one area.
Dust 514 is a separate game under development for consoles only by CCP. While it will tie into the EVE universe in some way, to say EVE is getting ground combat is a little disingenuous.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
05-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goukes View Post
Then you obviously completely failed to understand the post you quoted, as it was a reply on someone who actually compared sto ground pvp to first person shooters.
Correct and the response was an allusion to EVE which is coming out with FPS-style combat branched game for an MMO. He didn't compare STO to an FPS game. He stated if he wanted to play good ground combat he'd go play an FPS game. Reading comprehension is your friend. So nice try, but no cigar...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Goukes View Post
Ok DOB isn't named dircetly, but hell the discription is pretty damn accurate isn't it? And since you replied you obviously understood exactely who it was directed to.
I replied to his commentary in general criticizing other players because they don't like or excel at ground combat and found it funny since he and his fleet do not excel in space combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goukes View Post
On the ground? That would be awesome, i also wouldn't need a group for that so we could start over right now!
I never play ground combat and don't enjoy third-person shooters so it has never been for me. As I've stated twice before if you enjoy it...more power to you. If you'd like to run ground combat I'm sure we could get the old DOB MW2 team back together for you and set something up for you over there.

But to criticize others because they do not like the same areas of gameplay you do is childish and doesn't exactly make more people want to PvP on the ground. Reverse psychology and attempts to insult or belittle other players so they get riled up enough to come play in the dying ground PvP queues apparently isn't either.

In other words, I don't expect to be criticized for sucking on the ground just as I don't criticize you for sucking in space...

So, I'd love to stay and chat but I'm in a space PvP tournament right now with a bunch of other fleets who space PvP...you know, unlike yourself Goukes...so you can continue to nut-swing off Surgery and the boys all you like. To Surgery, if you guys are great in ground PvP, I appreciate your skills in that arena. If you'd ever like to see what it's like to face the highest skill level players in space I could set something up for you as well. The open challenge stands both ways now I guess...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
05-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Quote:
He stated if he wanted to play good ground combat he'd go play an FPS game

Quote:
I'll stick with MW2 and Mass Effect if I want to play a proper FPS.
So reading comprehension is my weak point? ... uuuuhm yeah ok whatever.

Quote:
I replied to his commentary in general criticizing other players because they don't like or excel at ground combat and found it funny since he and his fleet do not excel in space combat.

I never play ground combat and don't enjoy third-person shooters so it has never been for me. As I've stated twice before if you enjoy it...more power to you. If you'd like to run ground combat I'm sure we could get the old DOB MW2 team back together for you and set something up for you over there.

But to criticize others because they do not like the same areas of gameplay you do is childish and doesn't exactly make more people want to PvP on the ground. Reverse psychology and attempts to insult or belittle other players so they get riled up enough to come play in the dying ground PvP queues apparently isn't either.

In other words, I don't expect to be criticized for sucking on the ground just as I don't criticize you for sucking in space...
You can say whatever you want, but everyone knows why you replied, and everyone on these forums knows who it is directed to when someone mentiones people that "swing their e-dicks" on these forums.

So reverse psychology has indeed worked here and got some kind of reaction from you it seems , just not the one surgery was hoping for i assume, wich would propably be you guys getting in the ground game to prove something, instead of forum bragging .... still kind of ironic. No offense though i mean you guys deserve the bragging rights, so it's ok.

I actually do play space, just as surgery and his entourage do and though i might not be a DOB top gun, i absolutely do not suck in space.

For your tournament i wish you the best of luck, may the keyboardturning ability-clicking beamboat-floating spacemashing contest not be too much of a challenge for you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
05-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goukes View Post
So reading comprehension is my weak point? ... uuuuhm yeah ok whatever.
Which is exactly what he said...if he wants a good ground game he'll go to MW2. In other words, he plays Star Trek...not Ground Trek...for the space combat. As do most of the IP fans and majority of players as seen by the queue population in ground and the fact it is a vast minority when it comes to DEV attention, forum commentary, or in-game membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goukes View Post
You can say whatever you want, but everyone knows why you replied, and everyone on these forums knows who it is directed to when someone mentiones people that "swing their e-dicks" on these forums.
So you say...but the only ones swinging "e-peens" in here are ground fleets. As they should, it's their thread. But calling out space fleets to come to the ground is the same as space fleets calling out ground-only skilled players to come play in space. Everyone has their arena. Surgery has his. Other fleets have theirs. So cross-calling works both ways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goukes View Post
So reverse psychology has indeed worked here and got some kind of reaction from you it seems , just not the one surgery was hoping for i assume, wich would propably be you guys getting in the ground game to prove something, instead of forum bragging .... still kind of ironic. No offense though i mean you guys deserve the bragging rights, so it's ok.
We absolutely deserve the bragging...just as Surgery and his team deserve the bragging rights on the ground. No one is questioning his ability or ours. It's a shame there are five or six good and comparably skilled space fleets but only one really good ground fleet. But once the DEV's get through utterly "dumbing down" space combat for the unskilled, uncoordinated, or those ignorant of game mechanics I'm sure they'll turn their attention to ground combat and equally disturb the balance and gameplay there as well once enough people start QQ'ing on the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goukes View Post
I actually do play space, just as surgery and his entourage do and though i might not be a DOB top gun, i absolutely do not suck in space.
I'm sure you have played some space as it's impossible to get to RA5/BG5 without space combat. But it doesn't mean that those who have fully specc'ed ground or space characters because that is what they're good at or where they prefer to play makes them any less than anyone else. They've chosen the area that suits them best and where they excel and have honed their gameplay there...as is human nature. So trying to demean or otherwise call-out people in another area of speciality can't really present much of a challenge, can it? Let's not forget who started the cross-calling to resurrect a week's old dead thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goukes View Post
For your tournament i wish you the best of luck, may the keyboardturning ability-clicking beamboat-floating spacemashing contest not be too much of a challenge for you.
I appreciate the good wishes and look forward to competing in my "keyboard turning ability-clicking beamboat-floating spacemashing combat" as much as you enjoy your "keyboard running rifle-butting hold-chaining 1-button smashing combat" on the ground...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
05-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Which is exactly what he said...if he wants a good ground game he'll go to MW2. In other words, he plays Star Trek...not Ground Trek...for the space combat.
So you just reiterate his statement in your own words to fit it to your personal interpretation, nice approach.
Actually he made a direct statement about two other games being "proper FPS" compared to sto ground pvp, there isn't much to misinterpret about that...

Quote:
So you say...but the only ones swinging "e-peens" in here are ground fleets. As they should, it's their thread. But calling out space fleets to come to the ground is the same as space fleets calling out ground-only skilled players to come play in space. Everyone has their arena. Surgery has his. Other fleets have theirs. So cross-calling works both ways...
Actually you alone stated how amazing you and your crew are in space at least 3 times in this thread alone in a matter of hours, and by that already have beaten any ground pvper bragging in this thread about his ground skills, the rest of this forum is full with you and other DOB members who do the same in countless other threads.
But like i said, it's ok you fully earned the bragging rights, i have no problem with that, but don't act as if it wasn't clear who is meant when someone referrs to the e-peen swingers around this forums.

Quote:
It's a shame there are five or six good and comparably skilled space fleets but only one really good ground fleet
Well i guess thats exactely what Surgery tried to change by calling you out.
He propably hoped for a "damn you we can crush you on ground aswell as we do in space, we'll make a group and make you pay for that comment!!!" instead of a "yeah you're right we suck on ground but we are ****ing amazing in space...and did i mention we are fantastic in space yet?! come fight me in space !!!" response.

Feds have incredibly bad players on the ground atm with a few exeptions.
Getting the the big pvp fleets mobilized to get something going there would be the possible key to get some more talent on fed grounds, you can't blame Surgery for trying.
Anyways sadly it won't happen.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:46 AM.