Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
So before I start I just want to say im happy with the game so far. Its involving and generally hits all the right buttons. I do feel it lacks in certain areas but I also know thats all being addressed and will all be nice and shiny before long.

The one thing that I must ask however is when do I become a Captain?

This isn't a stupid question to waste time but have you guys ever noticed that you never really captain anything. What decisions do you actually make? Okay so I get to pick my ship and what equipment it has and the likes of my officers and whatnot. But as soon as I take up a mission im all of a sudden taking orders from my officers. What kind of a captain sits around letting his bridge officers tell them what to do? And what type of crew would serve under such a needy Captain to the point where they have to practically babysit him/her?

In a nutshell I have been playing for a while (obviously) and ive always noticed on missions im being told to go here, go there, do this, do that by my officers. Wouldn't it be more Trek if I was the one telling THEM to go here and do this and that?

My proposal is to give missions and gameplay in general a bit more variation. I like the current setup but lets face it, Piccard didn't go on every away mission. Some he felt were not for him and would best be served for others to partake in. So wouldnt it be great if for example we had the option of instead just 'beam down to surface' on planets but to also decide if its me who beams down or a group of chosen officers?

What could happen then is I could be seen on my captains Bridge (including the bridge and giving it purpose) where I can follow communications with that said party on their mission. I can from there give orders and make decisions without having to take any phaser fire to the face.

What could happen to make this really interesting is not knowing exactly what will happen on the away mission. Maybe its just a simple 'go down and scan a few things' or maybe its a confrontation with a group of Klingons OR maybe its a mix of both where an ambush is laid out. I wouldnt know any of this but id still decide before I beam down if I wanted to go personally or if I wanted my team to go down.

What do you guys think? (including you Crypitc chappies!)
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Actually, this is something I noticed pretty early on and felt needed some work.

My BOs have made me feel like an inferior officer before, and I'm a friggin admiral (and they might be an ensign).

To me, it seemed like just the wording needed to be fixed. Let's face it though: this is an action-based game, so avoiding missions and things would be more trek like, it would not be more game-like.

It's a game, so some consideration is needed there. I do think re-wording some BO responses is needed though.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-10-2010, 04:10 PM
err signed
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-10-2010, 04:14 PM
/signed...
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-10-2010, 04:19 PM
the way it should work is we are faced with a problem, the bridge crew gets together and suggests solutions, the captain makes a decision and they do it

it will be difficult to change all the missions at this point, but rewording them is probably the best option
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Yes, yet another issue with the game that simply needs a little re-tooling to get right.

And I agree with above: If the BO's presented different options and it was up to you to choose the best course of action, then you would feel more like the head honcho!
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
the way it should work is we are faced with a problem, the bridge crew gets together and suggests solutions, the captain makes a decision and they do it

it will be difficult to change all the missions at this point, but rewording them is probably the best option
Thats kinda what I meant with the options. Maybe I didnt clarify it enough in my babble

My suggestion didnt intend this to replace the current system either. I think its great. But giving me the option to either oversee the operation or partake in it directly would be nice.

In the approach of STO's survival and attracting people etc I think this would also distinguish STO as a little more unique than the majority and would then obviously make more people interested. So get to it Cryptic! :p
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeh86 View Post
Thats kinda what I meant with the options. Maybe I didnt clarify it enough in my babble

My suggestion didnt intend this to replace the current system either. I think its great. But giving me the option to either oversee the operation or partake in it directly would be nice.

In the approach of STO's survival and attracting people etc I think this would also distinguish STO as a little more unique than the majority and would then obviously make more people interested. So get to it Cryptic! :p
I'm not talking about the option to take part or oversee it, I'm talking about the option on how to deal with the situation. For example some crazy anomaly is heading towards a planet of a pre-warp civilization. If the anomaly hits the planet and everything on it is destroyed. So now the bridge crew says we can:

1) Break the prime directive, and try to get everyone off the planet.
2) Try to stop the anomaly even though the odds are slim.
3) Forget everything and move on.
4) Try to put everyone on the planet to sleep, beam them into the holodeck, find a new planet for them.

Now as the captain you need to choose a course to follow.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
I'm not talking about the option to take part or oversee it, I'm talking about the option on how to deal with the situation. For example some crazy anomaly is heading towards a planet of a pre-warp civilization. If the anomaly hits the planet and everything on it is destroyed. So now the bridge crew says we can:

1) Break the prime directive, and try to get everyone off the planet.
2) Try to stop the anomaly even though the odds are slim.
3) Forget everything and move on.
4) Try to put everyone on the planet to sleep, beam them into the holodeck, find a new planet for them.

Now as the captain you need to choose a course to follow.
Yep, Apologies for my unclear explanations but this is exactly what I thought of. A lot of games in the 80s were based on such things like this and they were pretty damn cool.

It would be nice if you got rewarded in different ways for taking different paths. It would also make each and every mission different which is a good thing in Cryptics interests and all players of the game.

I know this wont happen for existing missions but it would be nice to have at least something similar to this in new and upcoming missions.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I like where this discussion is going....

I think this might create an actual reason to visit your bridge as well.
Walk around and talk with your BOs about aspects of the mission as they relate to their skill set.
It would slow things down a bit....but it would be more realistic then someones face popping up like they're on a communicator.
After all aren't they all on the bridge with you?