Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-10-2010, 04:58 PM
We've just gone back to 23rd century rules. Captains lead the shore parties and take the entire senior staff with them. Starfleet just doesn't have enough personnel to allocate sufficient red shirts to let the captains know the situation is serious.

My problem is the mission variations (or lack thereof). As Picard said, "Starfleet's mission is to seek out new life, well there it sits!" Now, the mentality is to just blow it out of the chair before it has a chance to stand.

Give us some variations. Allow us the chance to resolve a situation without resorting to phasers and photon torpedos. Let us actually seek out new life and new civilizations.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeh86 View Post
Yep, Apologies for my unclear explanations but this is exactly what I thought of. A lot of games in the 80s were based on such things like this and they were pretty damn cool.

It would be nice if you got rewarded in different ways for taking different paths. It would also make each and every mission different which is a good thing in Cryptics interests and all players of the game.

I know this wont happen for existing missions but it would be nice to have at least something similar to this in new and upcoming missions.
Great minds think a like. Maybe I didn't read what you wrote correctly.

In any case, yeah it would be nice. Cryptic will be releasing something called the diplomatic corps, maybe it will be something similar to this... I hope.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Need moar imput!
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-11-2010, 12:38 AM
I really like the ideas stated in this topic. So much so, I don't have much to add except the away team bit. I think we should have a choice on weither or not we go on away teams. However, I think just sitting back on the bridge, waiting for communication from the team may put off some players.

Here comes what I've been thinking about for a long time now and I apologize for my run on sentences and broken thoughts. It all just flows and I get carried away some times.

First Officers. I don't know how Cryptic adressed this feature earlier, if at all, but I think this would be great addition. a FO would not be just some normal officer, they would replace your character on away missions; if you choose to do so. The player would remain in controll but be playing the FO instead of the captain.

Still with me? Good. This is where things get tricky since I'm kinda stuck on ideas. I think the FO should be more powerful than the BOs but not on the same level as the captain. While on away missions the captain could chime in with suggestions, however it would be up to the player to make the call, and here we are back at the 'missions need more options' fact.

In space combat, the FO could be another officer slot in addition to the crew. My idea would be for the FO to have only one or two abilities. They would have to be different than normal BO skills, pretty much new skill entirely. And that's where I'm stuck. I'd love to see something like this implemented.

I agree wholeheartedly that the player should be not only be treated more like a captain but we should be holding the reigns, not our officers.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-11-2010, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Piccard didn't go on every away mission. Some he felt were not for him and would best be served for others to partake in. So wouldnt it be great if for example we had the option of instead just 'beam down to surface' on planets but to also decide if its me who beams down or a group of chosen officers?)

I suggested something like this in an Executive Officer thread a week or two ago. Someone mentioned designating a BO as your XO, then I expanded on that suggesting that when you come to a planetary system, you get the option of beaming down or sending your XO and a team down. That way, people who enjoy space combat could get more of it and people (like me) who enjoy the ground side could get more of it.

Then whichever you don't care for can do the other end of it (either holding off reinforcements in orbit or accomplishing a goal on the ground while you hold off reinforcements in orbit).
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-11-2010, 04:06 AM
In one sense, I agree, but in another, I often feel my away team is really just muscle. They dont' actually DO anything.

Does it matter if I take a science officer on that survey? No, because he doesn't do anything. His knowledge and training don't affect the mission.

What I'd love to see is a variation on the current mission system that encourages the use of certain types of officers, depending on the situation.

Going to investigate some murders, take a tactical officer, since that kind of thing would be his area of expertise.
Going to study a strange disease, take a science officer trained in medical skills.
Going to research some ancient artifacts, take that science officer with exobiological training.
Going to check the integrity of a base after a storm, take an engineer.

Of course, just WHAT the effect of having or not having these officers on the mission would be would need to be determined, but it would be nice if it mattered in some way.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-11-2010, 04:06 AM
Kirk went on away missions. He used to punch people with his bare fists.

Janeway was ridiculously trigger happy. Sisko pretty much fought a war on his own. Archer practically invented the concept of having red shirts with big guns.

Blowing **** up is every bit as 'Star Trek' as Picard sipping earl grey.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-11-2010, 04:51 AM
I don't know how many ever played the Wing Commander series. However in WC IV they had cut scenes where you made decisions that would effect game play out come. There was one instance in the start of the game where Mark Hammel is in a bar, and a pretty disheveled man approaches him and asks for a drink. You have a choice to make. You can tell him to sod off and get a job, or offer him to join you for a meal and a drink. Much later, in the 5th CD of the game, you shoot down a pilot and capture his pod. When you go into the interrogation room, guess who it is. If in the first meeting you told him to sod off, he tells you the same here, and doesn't share the vital information with you that he has, and you cannot win/finish the game. If you were nice to him he shares what he knows (he took the job for a cheap buck after all) and you can finish up.

My point being I wish we had some form of dynamic decision making ability in STO missions, or at least some of the episodes. You know, like make the wrong decision of the three offered, and you may have to drop the mission and start it over again.

Just some thoughts.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-11-2010, 05:01 AM
The thing with allowing us to make decisions, is that it can't affect the final outcome in a serious way. For example, it can't prevent us accomplishing the mission. The decisions should affect HOW we achieve the goal, not WHETHER we reach it.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-11-2010, 06:04 AM
Quote:
What do you guys think? (including you Crypitc chappies!)
It would be very interesting in a single-player game where no one will ever be teaming with you. That may even be exciting there, allowing some form of RTS gameplay perhaps even, but as you may or may not know, almost all MMO's are action-oriented in the sense that the player has to be there and kill those 3 rats... err... Klingons, sorry.

So, once you figure out how this could work in a team environment, maybe it could be worked out. The whole team environment, by the way, is also why it's not easy for Cryptic to allow us to control our ships from our Captain's chair on the Bridge.

One thing I do agree with you on, Bridge Officers do feel more like they're in the know and our Captains are kind of like puppets being driven by their Bridge Officers. However, if you've ever been in any real command position, the people under you often do brief you and bring you facts from the field. What perhaps Cryptic should do, is make our Bridge Officers more "passive" in the sense that we, as Captains will have to actively seek the facts from our Bridge Officers instead of them "feeding" us the facts.

Another thing Cryptic could do, is allow us to send a Bridge Officer to scan stuff instead of our Captain, but that's a totally different story altogether.