Lt. Commander
# 31
07-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Another bump, this time with a kinda purrsitive sidemeow, if you know what I mean. *lol*

If I cumpletely shut down the Avira Agent (purrcess shutdown, no virus purrtection at all anymeowre), the game arrow is going more or less fluently. I usually always just turned off the guard, butt not the entire purrgram. So, for now, I just shut down every non-vital purrgram with the task meownager and just keep STO and the vital system stuff running. Disadvantage: If I need the stuff back, I have to restart it meownually.
Lt. Commander
# 32
07-13-2010, 03:38 AM
I guess I celebrated too early. It was just a lucky coincidence for once. When I played today, the mouse lag had about the same level of intensity as the worst ever about one week ago. Antivirus was cumpletely shut down first, no non-vital system program was running anymore. Still, I had an unbearable mouse arrow lag and I couldn't help it at all. It took me a full minute to cunfirm the cumpletion of an episode with Admiral Quinn in a window. I wanted to play for a bit longer than 20 minutes actually, butt I just had to quit the game, it made no sense anymore. Now I can't log back in because of the nice account server maintenance (and that's what I wanted to avoid in the first place since I've read the message before logging in).

This is my last post unless someone replies. Consider me out of business from today on, I won't be playing STO any longer.

~ Eris

PS: Belay that last sentence. I'm cancelling my LTA anyway, after reconsidering what all happened during this loooong time period and knowing it's not going to be solved anytime soon, the best thing is to leave STO to people who can actually play it.
Lt. Commander
# 33
07-13-2010, 05:06 AM
I have not read the whole thread but I too have noticed some odd things happening with the mouse.

I use the mouse for movement and camera view and i'm finding of late that when i unclick the buttons to click an action on the toolbar and then return to the motion control i either have the game not register that i have clicked a function or not respond when i try to move the camera for a second or two.

I'll go through this thread in its entirety and give you guys all the info i can. I'm using Windows Vista and a logitech trackman marble. I only started noticing this since about the end of June.
Lt. Commander
# 34
07-13-2010, 10:33 AM
From what it sounds like if the problem is happening after 15-20 minutes of play, it sounds like your system is either running out of resources causing the mouse to lag or you have other crap running on your computer which is causing the mouse to lag.

Shutdown every service and application before you play STO, go into services manager and kill all your services and go into task manager kill all non-essential applications and processes, under task manager processes your system idle process should be running at 99 cpu all the time (when not playing sto) , if its not you have too much crap on your pc.

1. make sure you have no spyware , trojans , worms , or anything bad on your computer.
run virus checks , spyware check, malware check blah blah. Note they should not be running or monitoring your computer while you play games.

2. make sure all your drivers are up to date, this includes motherboard+bios, graphics card, sound card, network card.
best you uninstall them all , then use a driver cleaner to remove all traces then reinstall latest ones.

3. make sure your direct x is 100% pure , get a directx uninstaller and reinstall fresh copy of directx

4. make sure in control panel under device manager select your computer and make sure your running the correct power mode. most modern pcs run APCI or APCI multiprocessor mode if you have more than one cpu.

5. IT is also possible that your mouse IRQ or USB IRQ (if your using usb) is conflicting or sharing an IRQ with another device such as graphics card , which may cause lag if both are used simultaneously. Look in system information and check.

6. Check the mouse and mouse ports , plug the device into a different port or try a different mouse.

7. Is your hard drive trashing when the mouse lag occurs? , do you have enough free space or large page file or enough ram? Do you have a SATA drive and not a crappy IDE one full of bad sectors.

8. Verify your STO game files using the launcher.

9. Lastly if you tried everything and still cant get it too work best you just do a complete format and clean install of the just the OS and the basics and STO.

10. If that still didn't work buy a brand new gaming pc

11. if that still didn't work, kill yourself because nothing will.
Lt. Commander
# 35
07-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Vipermist, I've posted a DX-Diag which the developers have deemed "okay", so that's not the issue. The USB sharing thing is basically a nice idea, butt how come the mouse starts to lag 20 minutes after running the game and not immediately, if it's a co-working issue with the video card? And why are no other high-end resolution games affected? I also described clearly that I've shut down every non-vital process before I start STO, even my antivirus tool called Antivir. I have barely any programs installed on my system, my OS is still almost brand new, so is the entire rest of my PC. The resources are more than okay, they're high-end to the actual standards. 12 GB of ram, I7 processor with eight cores, DX11 video card etc. etc. It's all in my DX-Diag report.

I've also described that I've been trying three different mice. I've connected them to all of the front and rear ports, it's still the same result. My files are verified by the launcher. My drivers are all up-to-date and I am not intending to buy a driver-cleaner program or a driver-scanning tool ... I know what drivers I got and it's for sure not the drivers. It's the application of STO, I'm now quite sure of that.

Lostpinky, please do that. You are describing exactly what I'm experiencing with short words. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 36
07-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostpinky View Post
I have not read the whole thread but I too have noticed some odd things happening with the mouse.

I use the mouse for movement and camera view and i'm finding of late that when i unclick the buttons to click an action on the toolbar and then return to the motion control i either have the game not register that i have clicked a function or not respond when i try to move the camera for a second or two.

I'll go through this thread in its entirety and give you guys all the info i can. I'm using Windows Vista and a logitech trackman marble. I only started noticing this since about the end of June.
I have this problem to a lessor degree. I also have that Logitech trackman marble. But Windows 7 here. It corrects itself when I reclick buttons pretty fast so hasn't hurt gameplay. Maybe might try another brand and/or model and see if it helps.
Lt. Commander
# 37
07-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Implausible
Other than old video drivers I cannot see much else wrong here. I would update your video drivers though just to get that out of the way.
I have the same drivers I see he has in his dxdiag. Reason I won't update because when I go to drivers newer than these, the game runs in slo-mo every space fight. No other game has any issues with newer drivers but if I want to play STO, it's those drivers or FAIL.

Edit: I haven't tried the ones that came out last month though. I will give those a go but the 197's were space fight in slo-mo painful.

Second Edit: The ones from last month seem to not give me the space fight in slo-mo condition the 197's gave me with this game.
Lt. Commander
# 38
07-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Ok you can try this

remove all input drivers for all your mouses and devices.
then when you restart when it finds your mouse and keyboard install the windows generic drivers
should be something like HID-keyboard device and HID-compliant mouse.

Run STO , still problems?

If you tried that and it didn't work then i'm not sure what else can be done.

You do have a good system, but cryptic cant test the game on every single combination and configuration of computers and drivers , so if there is problem there its likely because your machine + driver combination falls into the 0.01 % of users category that didn't fall under the test spectrum of systems.

Really i do feel bad for you because i would hate to have the same problem and not be able to fix it.
Lt. Commander
# 39
07-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Thanks for that, I'll try it once I have enough time. Right now I can't do it, butt I'll do it later today.
Lt. Commander
# 40
07-22-2010, 02:46 PM
I can only imagine your pain. . . Hope things have gotten better by now. Just ran across this thread today. I have had minor problems along the lines of what you describe, sometimes my cursor changes to another shape even for a brief time. When I exit the game and restart it usually goes away. Seems to happen mostly in space scenarios for me. An earlier poster thought it was especially likely to happen when mousing the camera and then switching to buttons. I have noticed that sometimes, but my trouble hasn't been consistent enough to really check it out. Hope you find a solution.