Lt. Commander
# 11
05-11-2010, 05:29 AM
You say you've played for the first time or very little...be persistent-you encountered actuall opponents unlike those from PVE which are child's play.More instances are not needed in this game-if you are not a RA the you can wait for pvp for half an hour,that's how little players are willing to pvp
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-11-2010, 05:45 AM
please the "handicap" system would be horrid. i enjoy the fact that what my gear does in pve it does in pvp. a phaser dosent care what it shoots at. if you truely wan to see where handicap pvp leads to ask anyone in eq2 about pvp/battlegrounds. eq2 is now unstable due to the pvp system there.
but since you asked here are some tips.
you started right by asking questions
read the pvp section
try fed v fed. why? same stuff you have no cloaks.
look at the debuffs and grahpic tell tales that thier powers use
most importanly.. if, er when you get owned DONT CRY. try sending a polite pm to that player and asking about what he hit you with. some wont tell you but some will. if they reply thank them. everyone wants to win but some enjoy a well fought fight where you run thru everyting you have 3 times before help arrives and almost makes you feel bad.

the only handicap i would want is if i enter pvp and i see coderanger's borg sphere. as i would go from alive to handicaped to crippled to dead to we aint kidding you're dead. in .02 seconds which is a long time for an andriod or a borg and i am neither
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-11-2010, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisty
you could just do exploration for your purple gear....
that does not equals being good at PvP, it helps yes, but it doesn't make you an Ace
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-11-2010, 06:23 AM
I'm not sure how a handicap system would work for this game. I do understand what the issue is though. It is really hard to learn what to do and what not to when you don't survive long enough to see your attacker(s). After I avoided PvP all the way up to RA5 I found it horribly frustrating that everything I thought I did well amounted to almost nothing against smarter players (and there are loads of them). Learning what abilities you and your opponents have is certainly the first big step to surviving but time and practice is the only way you'll train yourself to use them effectively.

I know it's a huge time investment but you will not get better at fighting most of these guys without investing loads of it. They already have and they won't lose that advantage. Once I got to RA5 I enrolled a Klingon character so I wouldn't get side tracked by quick exp missions. I feel like I'm loads better than I was (which doesn't really say much) and i still get rolled most of the time (especially by premades). I don't expect to ever be better than the people who have more experience than I do.

Learn the best counters and how to identify what your up against.
Stick to your group as you'll never live long enough to learn much alone.
Find a fleet that you can work well with and who will support you.
Rank up another character through PvP primarily.

And when you have questions, keep asking them in the calm reasonable manner that you made this thread. So many people get in over their heads and decide to cry nerf or exploit to ruin things for others instead of trying to figure out what they themselves can do better. Good luck!
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-11-2010, 06:49 AM
No handicap systems for PvP. Everyone willing to PvP should learn to play just like everyone else who plays PvP. To handicap one player so another player can have a pleasant experience and a gentle learning curve is wrong on so many levels.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-11-2010, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
No handicap systems for PvP. Everyone willing to PvP should learn to play just like everyone else who plays PvP. To handicap one player so another player can have a pleasant experience and a gentle learning curve is wrong on so many levels.
this echoes my beliefs on any form of handicapping system.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
this echoes my beliefs on any form of handicapping system.
It has always been the "understood" rule of PvP. If you play, you take your lumps like everybody else did, or don't play.
Nobody likes to be ganked or griefed that I know of, but if someone can't it when it happens then maybe they should not play PvP.

I can only think that those who do need or want a handicap to balance the PvP field are just children of the "entitlement" generation and it makes me sad.
Lt. Commander
# 18 I am against handicapping
05-15-2010, 01:33 PM
We all play the same game. It should be the better person/crew wins. If one doesn't like gettin their shinny ship scratched, then stay in the Sol System.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeptosec View Post
While knowledge is certainly a key factor in performance, knowledge alone can not level the playing field. Just as in golf, knowledge (and equipment) can only get you so far. Individual skill, natural talent, and indeed practice, also come into play. If you want PVP to be fun to play for people of all skill and interest levels, a handicap system needs to be introduced. No one enjoys getting owned all the time.
The absolute best way to get better is to do just what you did. You die a lot. But every time you do, you should learn a little more. And don't get stuck in specific abilities or tactics, always be ready to adapt. See what others do and steal it, the work it out your own way. You'd be surprised how fast you can improve.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeptosec View Post
I'm primarily a PVE gamer, but I've reached RA5, am currently out of PVE content, and need Medals of Honor for purple gear, so I tried FvF PVP today. This is the only MMO I've ever played and I have basically no PVP experience. Needless to say, it wasn't pretty. I died many times, quickly, often without even seeing what it was that killed me or even having time to click a single boff ability. Clearly, there are skilled players mixed in with us noobs. So, sorry for the stupid question, but why isn't there a handicap system?

Also, aside from reading some of the highly useful PVP guides already in this forum, are there any suggestions on how to improve my PVP experience?
Handicaps are not fun at all, and do nothing but hinder those that are truly good at what they do.

I understand that you're a casual PvPer and you want to be able to compete, but you've got to understand that the people that are primarily PvPers are going to be very good at what they do and easily rip up people who are set up for PvE or just not used to the pace and firepower that comes in a PvP match.