Lt. Commander
# 1 Mouse Wheel Not Working.
03-19-2010, 09:06 AM
I know this is a trivial problem but for some reason my mouse wheel will just not work in the game. It works fine on my PC at work (yes I'm lucky enough to be able to play at work) but on my home PC which is actually better, the mouse wheel is completely unresponsive no matter how much I fiddle with the settings.

Anybody got any ideas what I'm doing wrong? The Mouse Wheel is set to Flip (default) in windows, but I can't see anything else that I could change it to which matches the ability to scroll.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-19-2010, 09:19 AM
My guess is you are using a miocrosoft mouse. Try installign the intellipoint drivers, but keep everything on default settings. The same goes for logitech.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-19-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm all up to date with the Intellipoint software which is the annoying thing. I tried changing the wheel to Autoscroll, and it had some effect in-game, in that it will now actually zoom in, but it takes about 15 rolls of the wheel to get it to move and it will either move the smallest fraction, or it will jump quite a bit, and then it won't zoom in/out anymore, I need to use the keyboard to zoom out to be able to zoom back in and the same result. I've tried turning scrolling speed up but no change.

The annoying thing is that my mouse at work will zoom in/out without any problem at all and it's one smooth motion. I've even tried the basic ball mouse I got with my pc to see if it's the mouse that's the problem and there's no difference.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Are you using Windows 7?

My Razer Naga has the same problem that randomly comes and goes when the game gets patched. It's been happening since Beta.

Works fine everywhere else.

Lt. Commander
# 5
03-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Are you talking about zooming in and out or scrolling in lists? Or both?

If you can scroll but not zoom, check your keybinds to make sure it's still set there and didn't get changed/reset itself/spontaneously self-destruct.

That's all I got, though.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-25-2010, 11:12 AM
This is a "known" issue with Intellipoint mouses and this game. I put known in quotations because it's been reported hundreds of times and still never been commented on by Cryptic. Very, very frustrating.

The sensitivity is, for some unknowable reason, set to "insanely low" for this mouse type. Clearly it's a driver incompatibility. There is no workaround. There is no fix.

Would very much like to see this show up on the next Engineering Report. It's not like Microsoft mouses are rare, or anything.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-25-2010, 11:31 AM
It's not just MS, though, I have the same problem on my Razer Naga.

Keybinds are set, but the scroll wheel does nothing at all in-game, while working perfectly fine if I switch windows.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-14-2010, 08:32 PM
I am currently using a Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000, on Windows 7 Home Premium (64). I just installed ST:O and notice the camera would not zoom in or out without excessive scrolling. After looking online for a solution and not finding one (admittedly did not look very hard) i started poking around with my mouse settings. Control panel changed the view to large/small icons, selected mouse, and on the default "Buttons" i changed my connected device to a similar mouse (same number of buttons, laser mouse 6000). iI hit apply and I no longer have any trouble with ST:O and scrolling to zoom the camera. I hope this helps, it worked for me. Recap:

1) Control Panel
2) Change View to Large or Small Icons
3) Mouse should be listed Alphabetically, select it
4) On the Buttons tab you should see an option for Connected Device, change it to a similar mouse
5) Apply Changes
6) Test in ST:O
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-10-2010, 02:40 PM
same issue too. seems silly to have to trick your computer into thinking you have another mouse. I'm not a complainer by any means, I know they have a lot to do, but it is frustrating...
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Arg, and the scroll speed outside the game is lubriciously fast...