Lt. Commander
Players demand ship interiors more and more. I for one would certainly like to wander through my ship and have my own captain's room.
But how often would i be there? Not too often i guess.
We have so many ships to choose from, it would be hell of a lot of work for the devs to make the enteriors for all of them. It's not worth it if there's no real benefit from it. I can only compare STO and SWG. In SWG your Gunboats are freely "explorable". You can even repair the damaged parts while flying if you got the right repair kits.
But those Gunboats are relatively small compared to STO ships, especially cruisers. And the Graphics aren't superior to STO, the SWG ship interior is much less demanding on the cpu because of lower texture resolution and lesser polygons. It is fun as hell, though running through your ship while the pilot is flying and others operating the turrets.
We can't operate our ships with multiple players so interiors are more or less cosmetic. A simplified version that allows us to fly our ship from the captain's chair would be most awesome. Repairing from the same bridge would be nice as well and maybe access to the captain's room. Down to engineering means another instance and therefore we should be at a save spot while going down.
For bridge combat we need BIGGER view screens and the captain's chair properly aligned with it, which is not the case on certain bridges.
Combat in general is bit too fast paced in my opinion. In Bridge Commander it takes ages to defeat a ship of the same level and we have plenty time to issue the right orders. If bridge combat is ever gonna happen we need longer lasting fights which allows us to actually communicate with our team members and ask for help or a special buff/debuff. The dps needs to be lowered significantly in order to get the right feel for Trek combat. Long lasting beam duels, smart maneuvering for proper torpedo alignment, smart subtargeting (each foe has different exposed ship components worth attacking) and so on are the shining parts of Bridge Commander. If we could get just a bit closer to this would bring back a lot of people i guess.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-11-2010, 06:14 AM
Not meaning to be offensive, but this isn't bridge commander and to be honest it shouldn't be bridge commander. Some of what you said I agree with and some I don't. For example the part where you want to engage in combat from your viewscreen. I really hope that never happens in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-11-2010, 06:24 AM
Sorry, i was always first person regardless of the game, be it racing, flying, shooters. If it wasn't offered i didn't play it. Only exception is this game, even other MMOs offer it (SWG).
It should be optional, though to please everybody.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-11-2010, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFB
Not meaning to be offensive, but this isn't bridge commander and to be honest it shouldn't be bridge commander. Some of what you said I agree with and some I don't. For example the part where you want to engage in combat from your viewscreen. I really hope that never happens in this game.
And even in Bridge Commander, it was infinitely more effective to fight from the external view and give orders via the command shortcuts. This is exactly what STO has as its base design and I'm just as happy with that as you are.

That said, I would like to be able to navigate and interact with the universe outside the ship via to at least some extent the viewscreen. Sector space already pretends to be a GIS*-like overlay of important features so I think at least putting that on the viewscreen as an option makes sense.

*Well, AIS - Astrometric Information System instead of Geographic Information System
Lt. Commander
# 5 Ship interiors
05-11-2010, 06:26 AM
I truly hope they do invest the time in making ship interiors that are explorable and functional. When I think of MMO's, I like to envision a sandbox environment. Granted not all are, but for me personally, that is what I enjoy the most. I like to have options and various aspects to gameplay that give me the freedom to explore. I'm playing the game to escape reality for a while and having a ship to explore would only add to that escape.

Having a function of course is important as well unlike just going to the bridge now just to look at it. I too would enjoy a ship where I could go to my quarters, stop by engineering to check on the efficiency of the ship, or go anywhere else I please. I think it would be fun to have the option of reviewing sensor logs of systems and areas in sector space I've passed by looking for items of note that might be of interest that I wasn't actually paying attention to.

I realize it takes a lot of time to flesh out the models for the interiors, but this is an MMO and time is the one thing the devs do have. Unlike a game that is packaged and released for single or even limited multiplayer, MMO's survive based on continual updates and improvements. I think adding the aspect of explorable vessels will significantly add to the game experience in a good way.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sath View Post
Sorry, i was always first person regardless of the game, be it racing, flying, shooters. If it wasn't offered i didn't play it. Only exception is this game, even other MMOs offer it (SWG).
It should be optional, though to please everybody.
The problem with it in this space combat as you would be at a severe disadvantage. Your situational awareness would be drastically smaller than anyone elses. Also considered turn rations and such you would get hammered.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-11-2010, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
And even in Bridge Commander, it was infinitely more effective to fight from the external view and give orders via the command shortcuts. This is exactly what STO has as its base design and I'm just as happy with that as you are.

That said, I would like to be able to navigate and interact with the universe outside the ship via to at least some extent the viewscreen. Sector space already pretends to be a GIS*-like overlay of important features so I think at least putting that on the viewscreen as an option makes sense.

*Well, AIS - Astrometric Information System instead of Geographic Information System
I agree, if it was limited to travel or mini games or something of that nature for bridge functionality. As long as it wasn't for combat I would be fine with it.

Although, I don't know if they could do it to be honest.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-11-2010, 06:31 AM
The cruel, sad truth is that Star Trek bridges are only set up for dramatic effect, but are completely worthless for actually controlling a ship in combat.

Compare to an actual naval CIC for some reasons why that is so.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-11-2010, 06:33 AM
I wouldn't mind 1st person space combat being in the game assuming it was a quick add. If not then forget about it. I myself would never use it (at least not in PvP), but it could be very immersive for exploration missions and the like. I totally agree that interstellar travel is crying to be moved from sector space to the bridge though.

I do agree with the thread title though. Don't give us huge freaking corridors, Cryptic! If your engine/gameplay necessitates huge corridors that means that your engine/gameplay is not suited to Trek and needs to be changed.

Again, if you change Trek to suit your engine you are doing it wrong. Do the opposite!
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-11-2010, 06:37 AM
OP is absolutely right. But that's exactly what i want. I want this so called disadvantage because it's real. NPC ships are too damn easy to defeat anyway in normal mode so here is our difficulty enhancer.
I never get nervous when my remotely controlled ship gets destroyed but i did get nervous in Bridge Commander when the bridge was shaking, sparks came down from the ceiling, flashing red alert illuminating the scene, burning consoles and stuff. That's immersion and really gives me the right feeling.