Lt. Commander
# 1 Renaming your ship...??
05-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Hi, it's me again

By naval traditional it is very bad luck to rename your ship and I continue that tradition. It is my understanding that Royal Navy ships have a number before they are officially christened and they are never renamed, but I havent tried to confirm this (Royal Navy i.e. the navy of the united kingdom of Britain).

How do you feel about some of the names of ships in the game? Are you disrurbed by some of the silly ship names or do you think it is all part of the fun? Would you like to see an exclusive naming policy i.e once a name has been used for a ship that name becomes unavailable. What is your favourite ship name?

I havent used USS Space Antelope yet, but you never know
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-11-2010, 12:48 PM
I ran across an I.K.S. Fyuk'Ayll'Yall the other day.
Yeah, I think some names are goofy, but for the most part, I hardly ever look at ship names anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temtavia View Post
How do you feel about some of the names of ships in the game? Are you disrurbed by some of the silly ship names or do you think it is all part of the fun? Would you like to see an exclusive naming policy i.e once a name has been used for a ship that name becomes unavailable. What is your favourite ship name?
Am I disturbed? Not really. I'll usually just roll my eyes at them. I kind of wish more people would take it seriously, though. A little silly is fine. When it's all you see, it is disappointing.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Technically the way I see it, the ship doesn't really exist until I first get into it. So I rename it and redesign it before I do that, Then keep it that way. And pretend it came that way in the first place. (After all why would should I fly a ship I don't like the look of or name?).

But yes I'm not a fan of the stupid named ships. Or characters for that matter.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Stupid names are a small bother. I ignore them generally (perhaps an ).

My peeve is people whose names or ship names are all in lower case letters. It's like leaving a one penny tip at a restaurant. It borders on insulting, like they could not be bothered or something.

(All caps ship names don't bother me as much. All caps character names seem silly. And before any of you call me a hypocrite for having a handle that is all caps, it's an acronym and I haven't been able to find the box of RPGs from the 80s with my notes to remember what it exactly stands for).
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-11-2010, 01:01 PM
I've generally gone with state names for renaming my ships. Arizona and West Virginia. There's beena few other canidates I've used, Intrepid, Constitution, Airwolf, and Knight Rider.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Zero
I've generally gone with state names for renaming my ships. Arizona and West Virginia. There's beena few other canidates I've used, Intrepid, Constitution, Airwolf, and Knight Rider.
I've sorta done the same - my first ships were the names of local towns, then bigger cities nearby, and most recently the mighty USS New Hampshire was launched.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-11-2010, 01:18 PM
I started out with whatever names the game gaveme, but I later decided to choose something sciency for my ships. After a long night of watching cable, I ended up with Stormchaser. After that, I don't change the names.
I mean, it's not like we get to keep them for very long.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IglooDude
I've sorta done the same - my first ships were the names of local towns, then bigger cities nearby, and most recently the mighty USS New Hampshire was launched.
New Hampshire? What is so mighty about that? :p
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrano
New Hampshire? What is so mighty about that? :p
Well, they do cast that all important primary vote first....

They could probably kick the ass of the U.S.S. Delaware