Lt. Commander
# 1 Federation Gorn
04-06-2010, 05:22 AM
I would really like to see the Gorn as a playable race for the Federation. It would be very easy to explain. The Gorn were defeated by the Klingons. Some Gorn, while having no great love of the Federation, would see joining Starfleet as a way to get some revenge against the Klingon Empire. Most likely they would choose tactical officer as this would increase their chance of combat. After all if you can play a Klingon in Starfleet and now I hear a joined Trill for the Klingons why not Gorn for the Federation?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-06-2010, 03:02 PM
And why not erase the Klingon faction alltogether and make all their species playable on Fed side? Really, the Klingons already have much less selection, its maybe half the species Feds have and 3 of them have no female option. Making even more of them playable for Feds reduces the appeal to play KDF even more.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Would there be Gorn females?

Okay, let's be serious -

The Klingon faction was totally hosed by Cryptic. They have next to no customization of ships or characters, next to no PvE, and as we all know PvP in STO is barely tollerable.

So, is it really in STO players' interests to continue to take things that are only available to the Klingon faction and move them over to the Federation side? Or is it more reasonable to take those same resources and provide the 3rd world Klingon faction with more content, to make it a more livable experience, so that there are still a reasonable number of people willing to play the "other" side?

If your heart is really set on playing a Gorn there is always the option of playing one in the Klingon faction.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Since when were the Gorn and Orions part of the Klingons anyway? That was Cryptic's choice to make them part of the Klingon faction. If I had my way the Gorn and the Orions would be there own. But I doubt it since they were never played a large enough role in Trek to merit it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STObee
Would there be Gorn females?

Okay, let's be serious -

The Klingon faction was totally hosed by Cryptic. They have next to no customization of ships or characters, next to no PvE, and as we all know PvP in STO is barely tollerable.

So, is it really in STO players' interests to continue to take things that are only available to the Klingon faction and move them over to the Federation side? Or is it more reasonable to take those same resources and provide the 3rd world Klingon faction with more content, to make it a more livable experience, so that there are still a reasonable number of people willing to play the "other" side?

If your heart is really set on playing a Gorn there is always the option of playing one in the Klingon faction.
Well You just answered the question. The fact that the Klingons are mosty PvP that doesn't appeal to me. If they had the same amount of PvE like the Feds I probably wouldn't mind taking a War Bird for a spin
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-06-2010, 05:21 PM
why wouldn't they, he is right the klingon facton has almost nothing going for it, no one is going to play it just for the gorn, might as well give it up as a bad job and give the feds everything and reduce it to one playable faction. then we can stop pretending it is ever going to get any better
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I play KDF 'just to have' Letheans and Nausicaans. If I could play them on Fed side... I probably wouldn't, because it doesn't seem they fit in there for me. If I would get the option to play Ferengi on KDF side, I would do that, too. For the same reason - they don't seem right on Fed side.

Taking more and more of the few unique KDF aspects away and make them Fed doesn't help the game at all. It just draws players all to the same faction, and then there is no point in having factions.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandax75 View Post
Since when were the Gorn and Orions part of the Klingons anyway? That was Cryptic's choice to make them part of the Klingon faction. If I had my way the Gorn and the Orions would be there own. But I doubt it since they were never played a large enough role in Trek to merit it.
when in the storyline "path to 2409" the undine (aka species 8472), a major enemy in the star trek universe, tried to take over the klingon empire from within by replacing high ranking klingons. when the undine failed, the klingons learned the undine had infiltrated to gorn leadership, so the klingons attacked the gorn (sound familiar? kingons heard the cardassian Gov't had been taken over by the founders?????). the gorn needing help, paid the nausicans (mercenaries in star trek) to help in their fight. the gorn/nausican alliance lost that war and were conquered. the rumors about the undine in the gorn gov't actually were proven true to the gorn people. Gorn having a sense of honor themselves, were thankful.

the gorn becoming part of of the klingon empire is actually part of the setup for the basis the game is set around. part of the reasons why he klingons are trigger happy towards the federation is because they have heard rumors of undine in starfleet.

there is also canon to why you would be able to play a federation klingon. yes worf. after the KDF invades cardassian space, gowron asks worf to join him. however worf declines even tho his family would lose everything including it's seat on the high council because worf gave his word of honor in allegiance to starfleet.

now after sharing in the spilling of the blood of enemies, and saving each other, and fighting side by side in some of the most ruthless combat ever seen in the alpha quadrant, and the fact that starfleet had defeated the borg more than once, some klingons would want to serve under starfleet and make that same word of honor worf had?

fed klingons hate fighting their own pepole, but their honor demands it because swore their allegiance. plus there are probably some klingons that agree with what the empie is doing, but not how.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
I play KDF 'just to have' Letheans and Nausicaans. If I could play them on Fed side... I probably wouldn't, because it doesn't seem they fit in there for me. If I would get the option to play Ferengi on KDF side, I would do that, too. For the same reason - they don't seem right on Fed side.

Taking more and more of the few unique KDF aspects away and make them Fed doesn't help the game at all. It just draws players all to the same faction, and then there is no point in having factions.
Well neither do the Gorns feel right on the Klingon side either. In my view it was a bad idea too include Klingons in the Fed side too start with. What makes the Klingon faction is Klingons not the other races that never had anything to do with them.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribblerancher View Post
when in the storyline "path to 2409" the undine (aka species 8472), a major enemy in the star trek universe, tried to take over the klingon empire from within by replacing high ranking klingons. when the undine failed, the klingons learned the undine had infiltrated to gorn leadership, so the klingons attacked the gorn (sound familiar? kingons heard the cardassian Gov't had been taken over by the founders?????). the gorn needing help, paid the nausicans (mercenaries in star trek) to help in their fight. the gorn/nausican alliance lost that war and were conquered. the rumors about the undine in the gorn gov't actually were proven true to the gorn people. Gorn having a sense of honor themselves, were thankful.

So every single Gorn was thankful that the Klingons defeated the Undine and now stay to rule them?

the gorn becoming part of of the klingon empire is actually part of the setup for the basis the game is set around. part of the reasons why he klingons are trigger happy towards the federation is because they have heard rumors of undine in starfleet.

This pretty much is the same way the handled the Founders, again the Klingons tend to shoot first and ask later.

there is also canon to why you would be able to play a federation klingon. yes worf. after the KDF invades cardassian space, gowron asks worf to join him. however worf declines even tho his family would lose everything including it's seat on the high council because worf gave his word of honor in allegiance to starfleet.

Worf was a special case. He was adopted by a Human family after his was killed. The others we've seen are of mix birth.

now after sharing in the spilling of the blood of enemies, and saving each other, and fighting side by side in some of the most ruthless combat ever seen in the alpha quadrant, and the fact that starfleet had defeated the borg more than once, some klingons would want to serve under starfleet and make that same word of honor worf had?

As far as any of the shows no Klingon was ever shown serving in Starfleet that was not a special case like Word.

fed klingons hate fighting their own pepole, but their honor demands it because swore their allegiance. plus there are probably some klingons that agree with what the empie is doing, but not how.
Again the same reasons you state for Klingons in Starfleet can be applied to the Gorn