Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
the curve in any game with pvp is exceedingly sharp. Without a desire to improve then theres very little that anyone - even cryptic - can do.
I don't completely agree with this. The thing is, in most games where PvP is a central aspect of gameplay (and STO must be counted as such a game since Klingons level via PvP), there is an actual objective involved that motivates players to get better. Winning and losing matches - even death - is not motivation enough in any PvP game, although consequences of death can be in some cases.

No matter how hard the playerbase tries, we will not be able to create the motivation for players to improve. Such things are the responsibility of the game studio.

So Cryptic does have a role to play in improving the quality of PvP in their game. Clearly it is a partnership between studio and community, but the studio must be involved. My biggest complaint regarding PvP with Cryptic right now is how little partnership they have with the PvP community as a whole, and it is blatently obvious when one considers how little partnership Cryptic has with Klingon players specifically.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-12-2010, 02:24 PM
One more thought on Teamwork. It is said that Cryptic can't improve teamwork, but as one who has worked in the MMO industry on other PvP games, I can tell you this is false. The studio can do several things that will indirectly improve teamwork in gameplay a great deal.

An easy example is empowering the benefits of participating in fleets that are effective within a given community. For PvP, this means the studio develops episodes and rewards at the fleet level - activities that encourage good teamwork across a broad base of players through ingame competitions with tangible rewards. Some of the open PvP suggestions we have seen posted by various players would in fact improve teamwork a great deal in STO PvP - indrectly.

Why indirectly? Because the impact of having fleet activities and fleet rewards earned through competitions is that people find value in belonging to organized and effective fleets. If you have ever belonged to an guild/clan/fleet in any PvP game where there are rewards for groups that find success in game, you are keenly aware of the benefits to overall gameplay that comes from such an experience that extends to the whole community. The nature of competition suggests that fleets must improve to be successful when in a competition for tangible rewards, thus players no longer accept failure - rather work harder to earn those potential rewards.

I realize these are MMO business concepts that may not be appropriate to this specific discussion, but players should be aware that for at least the last decade gaming studios have intentionally, indirectly improved gameplay of things like PvP using various methods that might - without analysis - seem completely unrelated.

The phrase I used earlier "herding cats" is a term used in the MMO industry by developers at another studio I have worked for to describe how to organze PvPers to do things that would improve the overall gameplay of the community without having to tell them directly.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
Just brilliant...see my comments in orange
Nice addition. I kind of like Cocoa's view on crew. Ships with lager crews, and more alive crewmen, should have a benefit other than just hull repair rates. I support the OP's post, I think that would go a long way towards helping people.

Cocoa, you also mentioned something very important that I think many players could benefit from. Anticipate.

Being a pilot in training myself, one of the first things that was drilled in me was to anticipate. In STO, anticipation has helped me maneuver my cruiser into optimal firing angles, save teammates from destruction by sending them heals almost instantly after they receive damage, time beam overloads with torpedo hits on exposed hull, and prevent my shields from going down when focus fired or when drained by TSS.

These are only a few examples of what anticipation can help with, thrown in a little situational awareness in the mix and your skill and effectiveness goes up.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-12-2010, 04:18 PM
A pretty good post!Its to the point now where i try to avoid the 5 man mob and try to pick them off one at a time since my "side" just stands there to cash in.This applies ot both sides but its quite rampant on the Fed side for some reason.Ive gotten into a total of 7 ground matches in 3 months that were any good.By that i mean the score was really close (1-4 points) because both sides were actually trying.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipigi

Cocoa, you also mentioned something very important that I think many players could benefit from. Anticipate.
The problem with anticipating in STO is the way we are allowed to use our skills. Anticpating through maneuvers is easy, by switching power modes...no problem.

But combat is STO is too BO skill heavy. They BO skills do too much and dont last long enough with cool downs too long if you use the skill at the wrong time.

I'd be more incline to use my "Brace for Impact" if it had a short cool down or a long duration...or if I had another revolutionary option. The ability to deactivate the skill and have the option to then re-initiate it at a more opportune time without a cool down.

Instead of skills be activated and forgetten. What if Skills had usage durations that could be turned on and off. So consider a 15sec skill that has a 45 cool down, what if I could activate it for 5 secs, turn it off and still have 10 secs left of useage without a cool down. Since the cool down is 3x the use time, what if it required 3x the re-charge time for every sec used.

So if i used 5 of the 15 secs, I'd have to wait 3x the 5 secs used to result in 15 secs before I can use the skill for its full 15secs. If I used 10 secs of the skill, I'd have to wait 30s to make full use of the skill...but if i got into a bind before it fully recharges, I could still use whatever time is remaining.

This might make a descent seperate discussion.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-12-2010, 08:15 PM
I fully endorse this thread.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
The problem with anticipating in STO is the way we are allowed to use our skills. Anticpating through maneuvers is easy, by switching power modes...no problem.

But combat is STO is too BO skill heavy. They BO skills do too much and dont last long enough with cool downs too long if you use the skill at the wrong time.
I don't disagree. But until the gameplay changes, we need to make due.

Take EPtS and TSS for example. There is no way to anticipate when an opponent will use TSS on me, but I can anticipate that my shields will be dropping within the next 5-10 seconds. Many people try to bring their shields back up from 0, and that can be difficult because if all three versions are stacked, it can cause a serious drain.

If EPtS is used BEFORE shields go down to 0, the drain has to eat through the bonus given by EPtS. Combine switching power settings, eating a battery when your power level is low and perhaps even a EPSpT, all before your shields reach 0 in the first place, and you may just buy yourself an extra 15-20 seconds of shield power while TSS eats away at your shield power.

I know it may seem as if I am not within topic here, but having a more prevalent audio and visual warnings might allow people to notice a developing situation a few seconds earlyer. Instead of noticing TSS when theirs shields go down, they may notice it a few seconds faster.

Kind of like having a stick shaker AND a stall buzzer to let you know you are about to stall the aircraft
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-13-2010, 12:04 PM
I have one suggestion to add to this:

IN GAME VOICE.

this will help in community as well as teamwork.

you will actually TALK to others (if you want) and meet new people.

PUGs can be coordinated more quickly than spending all match trying to get them to NOT speed in on their own.

Targets can be called and assists requested....

Premades have vent or ts, but in-game voice is needed for both the sake of the community and helping people work together.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Bumping in support of the OP. Anything to help the community gain more knowledge and insight on the higher of mechanics of PVP is a bonus to us all.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdt_the_confused View Post
I have one suggestion to add to this:

IN GAME VOICE.

this will help in community as well as teamwork.

you will actually TALK to others (if you want) and meet new people.

PUGs can be coordinated more quickly than spending all match trying to get them to NOT speed in on their own.

Targets can be called and assists requested....

Premades have vent or ts, but in-game voice is needed for both the sake of the community and helping people work together.
This. The only MMO I have played that successfully used in-game voice is DDO (successful being an opinion). Having people always be able to talk to one another allowed PUGs to coordinate somewhat, and eventually they began to play together much more often.

It really isn't rocket science. If you want somebody to do something, make it as easy as possible for them to do so.