Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
How about the ability to deactivate skills prior to their experiation and then having the option to then re-initiate it at another or a more opportune time without a cool down.

Instead of skills be activated and forgetten. What if Skills had usage durations that could be turned on and off on damand. So consider a 15sec skill that has a 45 cool down, what if I could activate it for 5 secs, turn it off and still have 10 secs left of useage without a cool down. Since the cool down is 3x the use time, what if it required 3x the re-charge time for every sec used in order to build back to its full duration.

So if i used 5 of the 15 secs, I'd have to wait 3x the 5 secs used to result in a 15 secs re-charge before I can use the skill for its full 15secs.

If I used 10 secs of the skill, I'd have to wait 30s to make full use of the skill duration...but if i got into a bind before it fully recharges, I could still use whatever time is remaining.

EDIT:
This could allow for longer skill durations, coupled with longer re-charge/cool downs before we could get full use of the skill.

So instead of "Brace for Impact" lasting only 10 secs. We could have it last 15-20 secs, with a longer re-charge/cool down to use ratio if needed. So we no longer have to pretend that our crews can only barce for impact one every minute or so...but that we could instead "Brace for Impact" multiple times in a short period of time if the need arises...but with limits since we could theoretically make use of it faster than it could recharge.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
How about the ability to deactivate skills prior to their experiation and then having the option to then re-initiate it at another or a more opportune time without a cool down.

Instead of skills be activated and forgetten. What if Skills had usage durations that could be turned on and off on damand. So consider a 15sec skill that has a 45 cool down, what if I could activate it for 5 secs, turn it off and still have 10 secs left of useage without a cool down. Since the cool down is 3x the use time, what if it required 3x the re-charge time for every sec used in order to build back to its full duration.

So if i used 5 of the 15 secs, I'd have to wait 3x the 5 secs used to result in a 15 secs re-charge before I can use the skill for its full 15secs.

If I used 10 secs of the skill, I'd have to wait 30s to make full use of the skill duration...but if i got into a bind before it fully recharges, I could still use whatever time is remaining.

EDIT:
This could allow for longer skill durations, coupled with longer re-charge/cool downs before we could get full use of the skill.

So instead of "Brace for Impact" lasting only 10 secs. We could have it last 15-20 secs, with a longer re-charge/cool down to use ratio if needed. So we no longer have to pretend that our crews can only barce for impact one every minute or so...but that we could instead "Brace for Impact" multiple times in a short period of time if the need arises...but with limits since we could theoretically make use of it faster than it could recharge.
Even though cryptic would probably never even consider it, I do find it interesting.
The main issue is it causes a plethora of more inbalance as all skills are not created equal, something like that would have to be built in while the game is being developed not post launch.

Something that is more possible and I would certainly love to see is more toggle skills (not just stealth).
Which if more skills were toggles but had lesser effect, and if the toggle was removed the cooldown would be slight. This would also make the current game-breaking version of SNB, less so. it would just untoggle all your buffs and a couple seconds later all you have to do is retoggle them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah, SNB would need to only effect the target for the duration of time it was active. So SNB might be a 6 second duration, with a 15x re-charge multiplier. So each second of use would require 15secs of recharge to replenish.

So a full 6 secs of use would require 1min 30 secs of re-charge.

But being able to turn off my skills means that if I know Im being SNBed, I could deactivate my skill to prevent its waste, and then re-activate it once SNB is removed or taken off of me.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-16-2010, 09:59 AM
really?...no one sees the benefit of being able to toggle skills on and off on demand/as needed as a replenishing consumable?
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Quote:
really?...no one sees the benefit of being able to toggle skills on and off on demand/as needed as a replenishing consumable?
I see it. I think that you have a great idea. The trouble is will Cryptic take the time to read this post and consider it for the first thing, then actually implement it.

I think that this would be a good adjustment for gameplay and not hard for people to get used to doing. Although, something tells me that (just a feeling) that someone who PvP's will have an issue with people doing stuff when they were counting on them burning a power and having to wait for the full cooldown.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Quote:
I think it's a great idea.

Unlikely to happen, but a good idea.