Lt. Commander
# 1 STO model viewer?
05-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Is there a fan-made STO model viewer? If not, is Cryptic planning on releasing one? (I'm sure there's code for similar internal tools...)

The WoW model viewer remains one of the single greatest assets for WoW machinima. A simple tool like this for STO would greatly increase machinima quality and make aspiring machinimists' lives easier.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-12-2010, 07:59 PM
While we don't offer anything official, I'm sure you find something if you look hard enough. Our models and textures are in a pretty standard format last I looked.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-12-2010, 08:02 PM
If you do indeed find what your looking for, OP, I would appreciate a PM. I wouldnt mind taking a look at the models myself
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-12-2010, 09:09 PM
The textures are in a modified DDS format. I've found resources to convert a WTEX into a DDS. No clue how to convert a DDS back into a WTEX though or I'd have already been designing new textures for machinima purposes.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-13-2010, 01:15 AM
Thanks. I wonder if CoX model viewers and utilities will work as well.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-13-2010, 02:28 AM
I've often wondered what the little black dots with red centers are scattered over the ship models? I'm assuming they're pointers for where all the weapons array emitters are so the game knows where to fire from?
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-13-2010, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Sol
I've often wondered what the little black dots with red centers are scattered over the ship models? I'm assuming they're pointers for where all the weapons array emitters are so the game knows where to fire from?
More to show you as the player where the weapons fire from.

But some models are... Rather lacking in them and weapons fire directly from the hull.
Like Celestial(T4 cruiser). That model has pretty much none of them.
So while it may look nice with a model that are lacking them... It is also very ridiculous to see weapons fire directly from the hull.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
More to show you as the player where the weapons fire from.

But some models are... Rather lacking in them and weapons fire directly from the hull.
Like Celestial(T4 cruiser). That model has pretty much none of them.
So while it may look nice with a model that are lacking them... It is also very ridiculous to see weapons fire directly from the hull.
Except technically they SHOULD be firing from the phaser strips and visible photon torpedo tubes. Except not all ships have those. ;p I'd -love- to see an effect like in TNG with the phaser energy moving across the phaser strip and converging before firing but that seems to be beyond STO's capabilities. Still, it'd be nice to have them more consistently firing from the visible phaser arrays and torpedo tubes.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-13-2010, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Sol
Except technically they SHOULD be firing from the phaser strips and visible photon torpedo tubes. Except not all ships have those. ;p I'd -love- to see an effect like in TNG with the phaser energy moving across the phaser strip and converging before firing but that seems to be beyond STO's capabilities. Still, it'd be nice to have them more consistently firing from the visible phaser arrays and torpedo tubes.
Try *any ship here* with turrets... Makes sense to have turrets in the bridge and where the warp core is(or should be). :p

And yes to what you say. Main reason Chat isn't using the beam arrays. Feels very TOS/TMP era without the charging strips.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexaura
Thanks. I wonder if CoX model viewers and utilities will work as well.
IIRC, CoX doesn't run on the Cryptic Engine, which they started with Champions Online. Maybe CoX has the same file types but I doubt it if its a different engine.

I've been hunting for a way to open STO files, extract and fully view models, skins, textures, etc but so far, no luck ;\