Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 31
05-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranman1988 View Post
Also, not that I would always want it off, but would it be possible to disable Bridge Officer banter? I mean it might get pretty annoying hearing the same conversation over...and over...and over again.
I'd say that you wouldnt fire off banter every time a trigger happened, more likely a percent chants to trigger a chat event when a trigger happened. thats something that could be taken into account in the definition of a set of variables. The author might want certain comments to be more rare than others.
The other point is, if we have a method for the community to submit their content ideas, you probably would see a large volume of contribution from the community so I would expect the duplicates to be more rare than you think.
Lt. Commander
# 32
05-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Wow! I just read through the OP posts. Awesome!
I hope we get this ingame as it is what I was looking for from the beginning.

Keep up the great work!
Lt. Commander
# 33
05-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nack
I'd say that you wouldnt fire off banter every time a trigger happened, more likely a percent chants to trigger a chat event when a trigger happened. thats something that could be taken into account in the definition of a set of variables. The author might want certain comments to be more rare than others.
The other point is, if we have a method for the community to submit their content ideas, you probably would see a large volume of contribution from the community so I would expect the duplicates to be more rare than you think.
Yeah, I guess that would work. But I hope you would see why there is some cause for worry. I mean look at how often the NPCs around the starbases or Qo'noS repeat themselves. It's almost maddening sometimes.
Lt. Commander
# 34
05-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nack
...Then open up a web-based submission form so the community can submit banter sets and someone within Cryptic could review/approve/install the ideas.
That way each patch you could see new random smacktalk from your bridge officers ;-)
I started the the Banter Arcs in Ten Forward with exactly that in mind, but its received disappointingly little banter. Which makes me wonder if this isn't one of those ideas that sounds cool, but really isn't. From the shows, the character behavior is consistant, but the banter invariable is tied to episode content. In which case we could scrap the system for "random" banter and just make it episode specific. Well, we'll have to give that thread a few days to see what happens to it - but I think it'll be a good test to see if something meaningful can happen there that's not solely bad jokes.

Quote:
... I recall it being mentioned somewhere it is rather expensive to have voice actors come in
Yep, from a business point of view this is a real hurdle. The $64 question is how much would the Banter System deepen the immersion, how much would that retain customers, and that gives you whether its worthwhile to do or not.

Quote:
I would think it would be cheaper and easier to implement sooner if bridge officer banter was text based.
Cheaper since it wouldn't need voice actors. Easier is debatable as it would require "text bubbles" and they'd need to stack for multiple lines or something. The audio dialog system is already there and could be leveraged. If text based, I doubt it would be worthwhile to do as IMHO it would break the immersion more than add to it.

Quote:
Also, not that I would always want it off, but would it be possible to disable Bridge Officer banter? I mean it might get pretty annoying hearing the same conversation over...and over...and over again.
Go for the Eyes Boo! Pretty much the classic case of way over-done where you wanted to scream.
Considering it doesn't exist, a toggle should be doable . The "Frequency" attribute is designed specifically to prevent it from becoming annoying, but different folks might have different tolerances, so perhaps that's an attribute Levi should add to his BO screen (i.e., how chatty the BO is).
Lt. Commander
# 35
05-20-2010, 12:03 AM
I would love to assign my bofs traits and friendship to give them more life.

I have three "bridge bunnies" that I would love to make all BFFs.
Lt. Commander
# 36
05-20-2010, 02:53 AM
/sign for these ideas.
Lt. Commander
# 37
05-20-2010, 07:36 AM
good idea leviathan! just a thought.. you have a best friend selector, how about a significant other selector.. a la troi/riker, paris/torres
Lt. Commander
# 38
05-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight9477 View Post
good idea leviathan! just a thought.. you have a best friend selector, how about a significant other selector.. a la troi/riker, paris/torres
There are examples of this in the expanded universe. Geordi's second wife in the STO timeline was his Chief Engineer aboard the Challenger. Mackenzie Calhoun is married to Elizabeth Shelby (who admittedly commands her own station).

In general, this is a HUGE taboo. You don't marry or court someone currently serving with you as a bridge officer. For whatever reason, this seems to not apply to lower ranked officers outside the bridge crew as Data dated Jenna D'Sora and Riker routinely dated lower ranking officers. McCoy and Kirk both seemed to fraternize outside the bridge crew.

This is one of Picard and Crusher's issues as well as Riker and Troi's.

The biggest exception seems to be Worf and Dax and may be alleviated only because (I believe) Worf's primary assignment was the Defiant, not DS9, whereas Dax's primary assignment was DS9 even though she served on the Defiant as well. That's my best explanation anyway. There was a difference in the command structure as the Defiant did have a Romulan officer and, I believe, Kira and Odo occupied a different, hazier place in the command structure on the Defiant.

In general, I think if they did allow you to marry or court a bridge officer, they should either retire from Starfleet or otherwise be removed from your command.
Lt. Commander
# 39
05-20-2010, 12:52 PM
/sign

I am all over this. You have fantastic ideas - a little overreaching, but fantastic. If even a modicum of this were implemented, it would go a long way to restoring a sense of immersion that STO sorely needs. As it stands, my bridge officers are little more than customizable pets whose skills I routinely take advantage of. It would be nice for them to have some importance and individuality outside of their skills.
Lt. Commander
# 40
05-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulDreamer View Post
As it stands, my bridge officers are little more than customizable pets whose skills I routinely take advantage of. It would be nice for them to have some importance and individuality outside of their skills.
QFT

/10char
Closed Thread