Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-30-2010, 04:51 PM
FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES FIX THE QUEUES .

I love being outnumbered, it's a real challenge. I've won as the 1 vs 5 in Space and Ground and they were honestly some of the best experiences I've had in STO. But it is clearly a bloody awful queue system that not only makes you wait 30 minutes for a game to start, but that when it does eventually start, the teams are uneven and nobody has any fun.

Pathetic, Crypitc. Sort it out!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-31-2010, 11:55 AM
These threads are stupid. Here's why: you can't implement a technical solution to a non-technical problem. The problem isn't that the current system of queuing is poorly implemented (though it certainly is) but rather than the total number of players PvPing is not large enough to provide a viable pool of candidates for all of the different PvP maps currently available.

Either change the queue system so that it's "Capture and Hold" or "Arena", and allow random generation of suitable maps (i.e. 5v5 arena cracked planetoid, or 10v10 fvk cap and hold) intelligently according to what's in the queue, or find a way to get about 50k more players to PvP. WoW's system works because they have a massive population of players PvPing. That is a relatively recent thing that came with cross-server battlegrounds. Prior to that, one faction often had hour-long or worse queues for the popular map.

The point is, if it's a population problem where there simply aren't enough people PvPing, then no system can possibly fix it. If, on the other hand, it's caused by the fact that you can independently queue for only 3 of more than a dozen possible PvP map choices, then the obvious answer is to make a better and simpler system.

Implement intelligent matchmaking with a limited number of initial options (5v5 vs 10v10, arena vs cap and hold, fvf or fvk) and let the system take care of starting matches on an appropriate map. It's always seemed stupid to me that you queue for a map instead of a game type. In WoW they are conjoined so it doesn't matter, but here it feels backwards.
Lt. Commander
# 13 Easy FiX
05-31-2010, 01:14 PM
Get rid of the ability to que up individually! Make it so you have to que up as a team... that is what is lacking in this game.... any sort of team structure until RA5. Make it so you have to find a team then que up... then problem of having unbalanced teams is gone... and if finding a team for pvp is hard... make an instance that you can transwarp to where pvp people gather to get teams... TADAAAAAAAAAAAaa fixed.... the whole mmorpg without teams thing is cryptics udder fail in this game. It has a total not mmo... rpg feel... Guildwars did it right with pvp IMO Get a team before then pvp... no unbalanced teams... then if one or two people leave not a big deal at all... cause you will be mostly balanced... It would also promote different builds... instead of "lets see how ell I can solo" builds.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-31-2010, 03:23 PM
That's basically the worst idea ever.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBushman
Get rid of the ability to que up individually! Make it so you have to que up as a team... that is what is lacking in this game.... any sort of team structure until RA5. Make it so you have to find a team then que up... then problem of having unbalanced teams is gone... and if finding a team for pvp is hard... make an instance that you can transwarp to where pvp people gather to get teams... TADAAAAAAAAAAAaa fixed.... the whole mmorpg without teams thing is cryptics udder fail in this game. It has a total not mmo... rpg feel... Guildwars did it right with pvp IMO Get a team before then pvp... no unbalanced teams... then if one or two people leave not a big deal at all... cause you will be mostly balanced... It would also promote different builds... instead of "lets see how ell I can solo" builds.
That's... really not the solution.

Personally, I like the option to jump into a PvP match by myself. I enjoy the whole PuG dynamic. In fact, I prefer to solo almost everything in the game. I almost always join a group when i get in the match, but I honestly prefer the ability to choose.

I strongly dislike content that forces me to group up; hence the reason that I'll probably never run an STF mission. Sometimes I like to group up, other times I don't.

And besides that, your solution wouldn't alleviate the problem that we have here anyway: The problem is that we're able to queue up for three matches, and you don't have to join any of them. So when the queue system reaches the min players waiting on each side, if someone doesn't enter, you end up with uneven teams and after two minutes, the match locks everybody else out, (to keep people from joining a match that's so far out of balance that they'll automatically lose) so no one else can enter to even up the teams anyway.

Add to that the fact that you can't leave a match, and you have a recipe for constantly imbalanced teams and relatively boring PvP, that has no consequences on the game at large.

There won't be a satisfactory solution as long as we're relegated to fighting in arenas, using a queue to "sign up" to PvP. This worked great in CO, where superhero combat is particularly suited to arena-style matches, but not in a shooting war between two super-power nations inhabiting the same corner of the galaxy.

The answer is true, factional, open PvP, based in the Eta Iridani sector (to start, new sector blocks to fight over can be added later). If we're forced into instanced fighting, then I suggest we take some lessons from Pirates of the Burning Sea. There was a lot wrong with that game, but open RvR PvP was, in my opinion, something they got right, from the nation to nation dynamic to the actual ship to ship combat.

And before the PvEers start bashing, I suggest that all PvE-only content be removed from the sector. There isn't that much anyway. This would clear the way for a Fed owned, neutral and Klingon owned sectors, with a starbase at each end.

Add some PvE support missions (with the risk of being intercepted by players from the other side), to run blockades, deliver supplies or medicines, to building defenses, maybe some way to construct fleet-owned stations... and if you enter the sector block, you're PvP flagged. If you don't want to PvP, don't go there.

Anyway, that's what PvP needs, at least in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-01-2010, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfyre010 View Post
These threads are stupid. Here's why: you can't implement a technical solution to a non-technical problem. The problem isn't that the current system of queuing is poorly implemented (though it certainly is) but rather than the total number of players PvPing is not large enough to provide a viable pool of candidates for all of the different PvP maps currently available.

Either change the queue system so that it's "Capture and Hold" or "Arena", and allow random generation of suitable maps (i.e. 5v5 arena cracked planetoid, or 10v10 fvk cap and hold) intelligently according to what's in the queue, or find a way to get about 50k more players to PvP. WoW's system works because they have a massive population of players PvPing. That is a relatively recent thing that came with cross-server battlegrounds. Prior to that, one faction often had hour-long or worse queues for the popular map.

The point is, if it's a population problem where there simply aren't enough people PvPing, then no system can possibly fix it. If, on the other hand, it's caused by the fact that you can independently queue for only 3 of more than a dozen possible PvP map choices, then the obvious answer is to make a better and simpler system.

Implement intelligent matchmaking with a limited number of initial options (5v5 vs 10v10, arena vs cap and hold, fvf or fvk) and let the system take care of starting matches on an appropriate map. It's always seemed stupid to me that you queue for a map instead of a game type. In WoW they are conjoined so it doesn't matter, but here it feels backwards.
Yup, those are some good improvements. There is really no reason to have 20 or so different queues when only 30 or so players on either side are PvPing at any one time, especially when you can only join a maximum of 3 queues at a time.

Another would be to lower the threshold at which games begin, to 2 players instead of 5, or even 1 (like in most FPSs, where there is just a server and people join when they want).

Another would be to up the upper limit from 5 or 10 to 15 or 20 per side, and allow players to join half way through. Again, this is more like FPS servers.

And, again, just like FPS servers, if the player limit was upped, instead of booting people and making them requeue, have a "map rotation" that would by default keep you in the game, with an option to leave whenever you want.

They could do so many things to improve it. I'm sure some smart people can point out problems with the above, but they could also figure out ways around those problems too. It's not hard -- it just requires a little bit of will from Cryptic to look into it.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-01-2010, 05:28 AM
ahhhhh.........

If open pvp had been designed and implemented in the beginning (sigh)
This wouldnt have ever been a problem.
Other games that did PVP, even "arena" style did it much better.
I don't look at WoW as the proper example, but more Dark Age of Camelot, Open large PERSISTANT pvp regions, you entered at any time and had to go to where the action was. Even in the arena style battlegrounds that was the case.
These fish bowl arena style of first one to 21 type match are the inherent(sp?) problem.

But oh well.....they speak as though they may change it towards the fall..but it like all other things.....speculation.
We have what we have and yes we hope for more, but its the present style and system of pvp that is the true downfall and source of FAIL.

Just my 2 EC's