Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Disclaimer: i dont know how "canon" this info is (it was never seen on screen) i think it is a cool small Vessel which could benefit STO.

here you go:

KANEDA SPACE SUPERIORITY FIGHTER
->>>> http://www.siwiak.com/archives/asdb/...quaterbow2.jpg <<<<-

Copy & Paste with highlights:

General Overview: The Kaneda Space Superiority Fighter was born in 2368, roughly ten years after the launch of the Danube Class Runabout. The design was based on the Danube Class Runabout. While Starfleet had utilized small Starfighters before, all were modified shuttlecraft or other small utility vehicles, preferring to utilize existing designs and technologies rather than develop Space Fighter specific craft.

The Kaneda is a sharp departure in this line of thinking, but still based on existing technology. Utilizing the Impulse Engine Configuration, Computer Core, and Modular frame upon which the Danube Class was built, the Advanced Starship Design Bureau of Utopia Planitia lifted those components exactly and integrated them into a space frame nearly identical, but slightly smaller, to the Danube Class.

The Kaneda Class has a crew of 2, a pilot and an operations/weapons officer sitting side by side. Directly Aft of the Pilots compartment are the Impulse Engines, Computer Core, Micro-Torpedo magazines, Primary and Emergency Fusion Generators, Primary Phaser Generators, the Shield Generators and other necessary systems. The fighter is also armed with two micro-torpedo launchers that can carry up to 20 torpedoes in their onboard magazines, and also sports two Type VI Shuttle Class Phaser Emitters to cover both the forward and aft firing arcs. To increase combat effectiveness against capital vessels, the Kaneda Class can also mount 4 Mark XXV Photon Torpedoes outboard along the bottom of the craft.

Note: the Kaneda class comes standard without a warp core. She is limited to sublight impulse operations. This does not mean she cannot be modified to utilize such technology, but it was determined that with the Akira's warp engines, equipping the fighters was expensive, time consuming, increased operational repair times, and did not give the fighter any added benefit.

DIMENSIONS

Overall Length: 20.2 meters
Overall Height: 5.4 meters
Overall Beam: 13.7 meters

PERFORMANCE

Standard Impulse Configuration: .25c

ARMAMENT

Standard - 6 Type VI Shuttle-type phasers, 2 micro-photon torpedo launchers, 4 Mark XXV Photon Torpedoes

Source: http://www.siwiak.com/archives/asdb/akira.html

and in case somebody does not know about the *Captain's Yacht" of the Intrepid Class:

KLICK and KLICK

I think it is stupid that they never used the Aerowing in the Show but built the Delta Flyer instead.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-14-2010, 04:23 AM
That looks great but only bombers should have a side by side crew configuration, like the A-6 Intruder. Two man multi-role fighters are usually one up like a motorcycle. Sorry had to nit pick for the LOLz. Seriously though that is a sleek looking craft and it would be sweet to see them in PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-14-2010, 04:28 AM
Play Star Trek Invasion and you'll know that that is not a Kaneda Space Superiority Fighter. That's a Valkyrie Class Fighter, the .jpg itself is even named Valkyrie_quaterbow2.jpg, which was introduced in Star Trek: Invasion along with the Typhon Class Starship. Both of these should be added to STO at anyrate.

On another note: That also isn't the captain's yacht for the Intrepid Class, that's what is known as an Aeroshuttle.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-14-2010, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_illustrious_q
Play Star Trek Invasion and you'll know that that is not a Kaneda Space Superiority Fighter. That's a Valkyrie Class Fighter, the .jpg itself is even named Valkyrie_quaterbow2.jpg, which was introduced in Star Trek: Invasion along with the Typhon Class Starship. Both of these should be added to STO at anyrate.
They're uncanon, however, and I'm sure that Klingons would complain if the Federation was suddenly able to use fighters just as many Klingon players complain over a single instance of a Federation ship with a non-battle cloak.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-14-2010, 04:41 AM
I'm well aware that they're not canon. I, and many others, still feel that the Typhon class Carrier, or some other Federation carrier, should be in game to balance out against the Klingon Carrier.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-14-2010, 04:49 AM
I want one.

Lt. Commander
# 7
05-14-2010, 04:55 AM
Quote:
I'm well aware that they're not canon. I, and many others, still feel that the Typhon class Carrier, or some other Federation carrier, should be in game to balance out against the Klingon Carrier.
I understand, Q, I'm just a little concerned over the row it might cause with the Klingon players since for the moment carriers and cloaking are their unique abilities. I have a feeling that they'd get very defensive if, after the negative reception of the Galaxy-X Cryptic decided to add the Typhon-class into the game and take away what they see are their only other unique ship ability.

Personally, I really liked the Typhon and the Valkyrie fighters and I thought it was an interesting way of dealing with some of the situations in the Star Trek Universe. A capable ship that could be brought into an area while being carried by a larger ship and used as a mobile, largely self-sufficient base of operations for a squadron. Fighters are something we only see the barest hints of in Star Trek and there are various theories on that. Aside from the Maquis Raiders/Federation Fighters in the later episodes of DS9 the only other time the might show up is after Wolf 359 when three small craft that might be Federation fighters attempt to intercept the Borg Cube.

I never really saw the Akira as a carrier, though, I always supported the original idea as postulated on Memory Alpha that it was designed as a torpedo boat. That just makes much more sense to me considering its general appearance and layout.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-14-2010, 05:31 AM
Quote:
d'oh!
never played that game (never had a playstation, stupid *system exclusives*)

but then it is IP of Activision and will never get into STO -.-

damn fansites spreading false information...
that thing still looks cool.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-14-2010, 06:45 AM
Honestly, I don't wanna see feds with carriers, not because of canon or klingons but because I don't think the Feds need a carrier. Allow me to explain, carriers are used for certain roles, power projection etc. The feds have other ships that are more fitting to those roles.

I can see the Klings using a carrier due to the combative nature of the species and I can see them using them in certain roles. Quick response on planets, instead of orbital bombardments in situations were an OB would be too much or not available as an option.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-14-2010, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFB
Honestly, I don't wanna see feds with carriers, not because of canon or klingons but because I don't think the Feds need a carrier. Allow me to explain, carriers are used for certain roles, power projection etc. The feds have other ships that are more fitting to those roles.

I can see the Klings using a carrier due to the combative nature of the species and I can see them using them in certain roles. Quick response on planets, instead of orbital bombardments in situations were an OB would be too much or not available as an option.
Canonically, the Federation has used fighters.
The Klingons have not, usually fielding BoPs as their smallest craft.