Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Suggested new skill; (BO) skill Tachyon Detection Grid

Sciense skill; creates a Mobile Tachyon detection grid between Science ships, at least two needed

Engineering; creates fixed detection grid via adjusted mines that work as fixed transmitters. Once launched, the mines would spread out and form the grid.

Both grids have a 10km range.

Needs; at least three or four Science or Cruiser vessels within 10km range to scan and trap cloaked ships.
* Only traps cloaked ships, not uncloaked.If the snared enemy de-cloaks after being snared, it will have the xx seconds counter on him/her. Can heal itself, but won't be able to fire outside field nor leave it.

Purpose
detect and trap cloaked ships.

Your team can fire through the grid, the trapped enemy can not retaliate. The Grid would take massive aux energy (50 minimum) for the duration of the field(Mobile variant)

Mobile Tachyon Detection Grid

Level I; 15 seconds active
Level II; 20 seconds active
Level III; 30 seconds active

Cooldown; 3 minutes

Fixed Tachyon Detection Grid

Level I; 20 seconds active
Level II; 30 seconds active
Level III; 50 seconds active

Cooldown; 4/5 minutes

*note mines can be destroyed like any other thus collapsing the field from outside

Counters
- Viral Matrix I, II or III would penetrate grid for defensive purposes

Exemptions;
- teammates can not heal through grid, snared ship(s) on its/their own for the duration.
- can not be trained/slotted on a Bird of Prey or any other universal BO slot(KvK)

Attached pictures are from Memory Alpha.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Though your idea sounds interesting, I think it should be an innate ability of fed ships, not a BO skill. Mainly because, all cloak detection abilities, in reality, remove very important combat abilities from the user. As it stands right now, catching a ship that is cloaked is hardly a death sentence.

The only exception would be if this skill was extremely effective in killing the target ship, which it sounds like it might be. And it would be nice to actually have an ability that the kilingons don't have, on top of their other unique abilities.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzx
And it would be nice to actually have an ability that the kilingons don't have, on top of their other unique abilities.
Like what???

No Sci-Ship, but we have squishy BoP with universal consoles and cloak

Let me see, what KdF has on top of there other unique abilities...

NO access to crafting... "blue equip for feddies ONLY"
NO story line quests or resulting quest rewards...
Limited (or better NOT existing) ship skins / customization
Limited (or better NOT existing) player constumes
Limited to only 2 (with Omeaga 3) sectors

STF access might be there, but how to manage, there are simple NOT enough KdF left in the game.

But as always, just my 2 cents towards a fraction, that was born dead and recives nothing in Federation Online
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-15-2010, 11:59 AM
please don't derail this thread by making it a "who's better and worse off"as a faction.

@Izzx; Science vessels have the innate skills u speak off, but, what would be the point of cloaking anyways if every Fed ship can negate it?

Please, don't start the "cloaking is unfair" or Klingons this and that, focus on a solution. Cryptic had shown us, that some ideas get put into the game if enough players endource it and the logic behind it is sound.

So if you would really like a STO balancing skill against cloaking, think along/comment/revise my idea stated above. I am all open for suggestions conceptwise, so feel free to add or detract from the concept.

I am a KDF exclusive player myself, so imagine for a second, our willingness to further better this game by adding "cool new stuff" AND usefull skills purely for Feds.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-15-2010, 12:11 PM
cool idea on paper. how it would impliment in game could be interesting to see.
Truely with the new changes cryptic is proposing to the game for 1.2 klingon alpha strike is a JOKE !
I mean if your a fed and you die from the klingon alpha strike you are absolute garbage !
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-15-2010, 12:12 PM
1) you detect a cloaked ship at 3km or less, by default, any ship type
As Science >
2) AUX ~50, SensorScan, HYT II or III and autofire torsp, ~5km or less, you detect and blow it even up
3) AUX 100, SensorScan, HYT III, autofire and you attack it at ~8km or less - if you have your beams on, shields will be up, prior to torps hit

Now, all the options are already there, what do you need more?
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickiGraus View Post
Like what???

STF access might be there, but how to manage, there are simple NOT enough KdF left in the game.

But as always, just my 2 cents towards a fraction, that was born dead and recives nothing in Federation Online
I won't argue that your pve content sucks, and that cryptic dropped the ball on the klingons, but we're talking about pvp here. Crafting's a joke, why craft when you can buy purples through exploration or pvp. Everything else has little to nothing to do with pvp.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurianNL View Post
please don't derail this thread by making it a "who's better and worse off"as a faction.

@Izzx; Science vessels have the innate skills u speak off, but, what would be the point of cloaking anyways if every Fed ship can negate it?

Please, don't start the "cloaking is unfair" or Klingons this and that, focus on a solution. Cryptic had shown us, that some ideas get put into the game if enough players endource it and the logic behind it is sound.

So if you would really like a STO balancing skill against cloaking, think along/comment/revise my idea stated above. I am all open for suggestions conceptwise, so feel free to add or detract from the concept.

I am a KDF exclusive player myself, so imagine for a second, our willingness to further better this game by adding "cool new stuff" AND usefull skills purely for Feds.
Maybe I should've clarified my comment. There should only a small percentage chance of the trap working, as in less than 10%. But when it does work, it should be deadly, and perhaps tip the alpha strike into our favor. I like the fact that it would give us something to do other than fedball. In my opinion, it only makes sense that the federation, being at war with a cloaking race, would develop something that all ships could use to reduce the risk of an alpha strike.

And for the record, I never said "cloaking was unfair", I just said it would be nice to have a unique ability on fed ships.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzx
Maybe I should've clarified my comment. There should only a small percentage chance of the trap working, as in less than 10%. But when it does work, it should be deadly, and perhaps tip the alpha strike into our favor. I like the fact that it would give us something to do other than fedball. In my opinion, it only makes sense that the federation, being at war with a cloaking race, would develop something that all ships could use to reduce the risk of an alpha strike.

And for the record, I never said "cloaking was unfair", I just said it would be nice to have a unique ability on fed ships.
exactly, an already existing strategy like the Fedball would be given a "purpose" plus Feds can move away more freely from transwarp conduits since they will capture and snare unsuspecting KDF pilots that are cloaked.

It is just an idea, which probably needs a lot of work or testing too implement, but since PvP is of those few things that keeps it interesting at all, adapting to newly developed Fed tech would be a nice change of pace.
We can agree on one thing and that is the canon and unique talent of the Federation too adapt with technology, and since we got no new skills from the getgo, this could be a strategy diversifier from which a lot of premades and good Pugs can better themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickiGraus View Post
Like what???

crafting is a moot point. as you get better gear at bg level through gamma orionis/pvp daily stuff. (and dont tell me you wont ever get to bg. thats a joke because win or lose you still get exp)

quest rewards are a moot point as well. see above as to why.

there really are very few variants for klingon ships in canon. blame GR and CBS for not fleshing out the faction first, then blame cryptic for not using any of these fleshed out canon kdf ship classes.

you got me about costumes, but really, nitpicking about costumes? cosmetic things that do not give any type of advantage in the game?

in your last point, agree that you need more but only in the scope that the game allows for. if one watches the intro again, the kdf supposedly is making a push for romulan territories. personally i would have liked to see the kdf space be opened up to encompass romulan space too, but i would prefer it more for them to prioritize fixing bugs than just constantly dumping in content.