Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Due to a horrible queue fail, I ended up in a PvP match that was 2 Klingons vs 5 Feds (wow, that sort of stuff never happens! ) Anyways, we agreed to do 1v1 battles for fun, while waiting for the rest of the match to fill out.

I took my BoP up against a few Escorts, and ended up giggling. Why? SciTeam III + Aceton Field III.

51% shield damage resistance buff coupled with -50% energy damage from my target. That equates to about 25% of the incoming damage I'd normally receive. Utter win.

Anyone else use this combo?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
05-15-2010, 01:12 PM
months ago but aceton 3 is a waste as aceton 1 gives the same minus to DPS
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
05-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Feds are not versatile ships like klingon ships. You want fair fights, do 2 on 2.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
05-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Robinson
Feds are not versatile ships like klingon ships. You want fair fights, do 2 on 2.
That doesn't inherently make it unfair. My BoP has one less BO Officer, and lower shield/hull values than the Feds I'm fighting 1v1. Does that make it unfair?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
05-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
That doesn't inherently make it unfair. My BoP has one less BO Officer, and lower shield/hull values than the Feds I'm fighting 1v1. Does that make it unfair?
Hull is marginally less then an Escort around ~4k.

And yes it is worth losing 1 BO Slot in order to mix and match the most powerful abilities in the game along with being able to equip DHC and have battle cloak.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
05-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaboy View Post
Hull is marginally less then an Escort around ~4k.

And yes it is worth losing 1 BO Slot in order to mix and match the most powerful abilities in the game along with being able to equip DHC and have battle cloak.
I don't want to turn this into another "BoPs are overpowered!" thread, so I'll just say this and be down.

BoPs get universal BO slots, and battle cloak. For that, we pay by having:
- lower hull HP (You say it's ~4K. Think of how much of a difference that 4K makes in conjunction with Hazard Emitter's resistance buff, and Starship Dampening Field, for example [granted, these do not apply to everyone])
- lower shield caps
- One less BO slot (Think about it; that's another HYT/SciTeam/EPtX. Pretty valuable.)
- One less Tac console.
- One less weapon
- Cloaking actually has a fair amount of counters: Charged Particle Burst, Sensor Scan, Fire On My Mark, Photonic Shockwave, Mines, Automated Defense Turret, Gravity Well/Tyken's Rift (I'm not sure if these and the turret actually bring you out of cloak, but it alerts anyone in the vicinity that a cloaked ship is around), and I'm not positive on this, but I think having a high Aux power increases your chances of detecting a cloaked vessel (though that might have been an idea thrown around in Open Beta, I don't know if it's actually implemented).

That extra BO, Tac console, and weapon can surmount to a pretty significant DPS difference.

But, as I've said, that's a whole 'nother story.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
05-16-2010, 01:48 AM
lol op, first u state how uber you are in your BOP with your sci abilities and your cannons and battlecloak. being able to nuke anyone that oposes you. then someone points out the fact that this is no big feat, in fact it is easy. like you said when incoming damage is just negated by overbuffing yourselve because u can in your bop and stating u are uber because u can kill an escort that doesnt have that ability, u arent realy making a point other then bops are overpowered.

u also failed to mention in the list (u know the list where u think 4k hull is significant) that bops have a rediculous turnrate oposed to escorts. able to bring those cannons of yours even more on target.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
05-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Reel View Post
lol op, first u state how uber you are in your BOP with your sci abilities and your cannons and battlecloak. being able to nuke anyone that oposes you. then someone points out the fact that this is no big feat, in fact it is easy. like you said when incoming damage is just negated by overbuffing yourselve because u can in your bop and stating u are uber because u can kill an escort that doesnt have that ability, u arent realy making a point other then bops are overpowered.

u also failed to mention in the list (u know the list where u think 4k hull is significant) that bops have a rediculous turnrate oposed to escorts. able to bring those cannons of yours even more on target.
My example was in a 1v1 match, as I stated. In other circumstances, the conditions which I specified wouldn't exist. If it were more than just 1v1, the SciTeam III/Aceton Field III combo would be, in effect, a bad version of Jam Sensors, since you'd still be taking damage.

Also, the Escort will almost certainly have AP:O (probably III). In order to have SciTeam III and Aceton Field III, I'd be not only giving up AP:O III, but the highest (useful) Tac abilities I can have are C:RF I and HYT I.

Not that I'm not saying that my build gives me the ludicrous damage that Escorts can put up, but survivability against them.

Anyone in PvP knows that you can take down a BoP by angrily sneezing at it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
05-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Reel View Post
lol op, first u state how uber you are in your BOP with your sci abilities and your cannons and battlecloak. being able to nuke anyone that oposes you. then someone points out the fact that this is no big feat, in fact it is easy. like you said when incoming damage is just negated by overbuffing yourselve because u can in your bop and stating u are uber because u can kill an escort that doesnt have that ability, u arent realy making a point other then bops are overpowered.

u also failed to mention in the list (u know the list where u think 4k hull is significant) that bops have a rediculous turnrate oposed to escorts. able to bring those cannons of yours even more on target.
Fed get the same skill sets and Klingons. Since the OP was talking about this skill combo and your just butt hurt because you cant "Capt Kirk" in and wipe the Klingons out like in PvE is no reason to hijack the thread. Try using actual PvP tactics instead of your PvE ones and you might see a huge and sudden "Balance" in PvP. You BoP is OPed is crap, GOOD players can take them down pretty easily.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
05-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
My example was in a 1v1 match, as I stated. In other circumstances, the conditions which I specified wouldn't exist. If it were more than just 1v1, the SciTeam III/Aceton Field III combo would be, in effect, a bad version of Jam Sensors, since you'd still be taking damage.

Also, the Escort will almost certainly have AP:O (probably III). In order to have SciTeam III and Aceton Field III, I'd be not only giving up AP:O III, but the highest (useful) Tac abilities I can have are C:RF I and HYT I.

Not that I'm not saying that my build gives me the ludicrous damage that Escorts can put up, but survivability against them.

Anyone in PvP knows that you can take down a BoP by angrily sneezing at it.
It was tough deciding between a Science or Tactical Cmdr in my BoP. I ended up going for a sci cmdr so I could use science team III and energy syphon III. Science team III restores all my shields to full, and means with dampening field I take less damage for a while, which has kept me in the fight for a lot longer. Rather than going for all out damage I've focussed on an energy draining build, so ships are just left helpless floating in space for the team to kill (energy syphon III, TSS Engines III, polarons). I still do decent damage though with dhc's and sensor scan (-80% damage resistance to target at the moment, until I get a purple deflector).

Quote:
lol op, first u state how uber you are in your BOP with your sci abilities and your cannons and battlecloak. being able to nuke anyone that oposes you. then someone points out the fact that this is no big feat, in fact it is easy. like you said when incoming damage is just negated by overbuffing yourselve because u can in your bop and stating u are uber because u can kill an escort that doesnt have that ability, u arent realy making a point other then bops are overpowered.

u also failed to mention in the list (u know the list where u think 4k hull is significant) that bops have a rediculous turnrate oposed to escorts. able to bring those cannons of yours even more on target.
The potential dps of an escort exceeds that of a bop. In my fleet escort i have room for engineering team I, science team II, hazard emitters, emergency power to shields I, and reverse shield polarity I, and can keep all the high level tac abilities I need. Put all those together and it means I possibly have more stuff to keep me alive than in my BoP. Sure I could get all those in my BoP, but it would mean sacrificing other abilities to make room for them as we get 1 less BO slot. The BoP is jack of all trades ...
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:10 AM.