Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Many of us enjoys doing the FvK, but not really when there is cloaking being overly used.

Or how about KvK, where cloaking is used so much, nothing gets done in 5v5.

Total cloaking ability is 5 minutes total, and timer only goes down when ship cloak. So a ship could use cloak on and off to stretch out it's usefulness.

Only 2 ways the cloak recharges, 15 minutes of not cloaking or ship exploding.

I strongly believe this will keep the edge Klingons already have, without making the opposite side wait endlessly for some action to happen. That it be either Klingons or Federation.

This would just be for PvP purposes.

I know it's not very canon like, but people can't forget this is an mmo first and foremost.

People plays PvP for balance (or as close as possible)

Edit(added based on post comments): You want things kept "Canon", I can make it happen while still making my idea acceptable. Introduce an honor meter system for klingon, they lose steadily honor when they cloak, and recover slowly a little when they uncloak. Honor resets upon dying, they can not cloak if they got no honor energy left.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Cloak Is Fine!
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Any changes like this run counter to canon established cloak function, and just rips us further away from immersion. And personally, I just don't see a cloak as that much of an advantage.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjiru View Post
Any changes like this run counter to canon established cloak function, and just rips us further away from immersion. And personally, I just don't see a cloak as that much of an advantage.
Afraid you are missing the point. Never said to nerf cloak, i'm talking of giving it a timer so that people don't wait hours on end to find some action.

This is the biggest issue for KvK in 5v5 matches, where they refuse to uncloak giving the other side the first shot. Making those fights annoyingly boring.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Quote:
This game is an mmo, you lose immersion as soon as you convert any series or franchise into an mmo. Think about it, we are all captains from start?

We get magically teleported to a pvp arena thanks to the queue system?

Sector space is seperated by invisible walls?

I could keep going, but telling you all this to explain that this game is an mmo first and foremost. Don't get me wrong, i love mmos, i also love star trek franchise. But this being an mmo, you have to concede a few things so that an mmo it stays. If you aim too much for 'Canon' you'll get hit hard with imbalancing issues.

PvP players who plays without abusing game mechanics would not feel hindered at all by my proposition, as they never wait more than 2 mins before starting fights.

If you have anything to fear about it, perhaps you are abusing the game mechanics yourself. Think of your opponent looking for you for more than 5 minutes. This isn't real life, this is game life, it's suppose to be fun, not frustrating.

So keep 'canon' as long as it doesn't break the mmo feel people search for.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Robinson
Afraid you are missing the point. Never said to nerf cloak, i'm talking of giving it a timer so that people don't wait hours on end to find some action.

This is the biggest issue for KvK in 5v5 matches, where they refuse to uncloak giving the other side the first shot. Making those fights annoyingly boring.
I'm not suggesting that you said to nerf cloak, what I'm saying is that the more artificial "rules" that don't have any basis in the IP are included, the further we get away from this being a Star Trek game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Quote:
This game is an mmo, you lose immersion as soon as you convert any series or franchise into an mmo. Think about it, we are all captains from start?

We get magically teleported to a pvp arena thanks to the queue system?

Sector space is seperated by invisible walls?

I could keep going, but telling you all this to explain that this game is an mmo first and foremost. Don't get me wrong, i love mmos, i also love star trek franchise. But this being an mmo, you have to concede a few things so that an mmo it stays. If you aim too much for 'Canon' you'll get hit hard with imbalancing issues.

PvP players who plays without abusing game mechanics would not feel hindered at all by my proposition, as they never wait more than 2 mins before starting fights.

If you have anything to fear about it, perhaps you are abusing the game mechanics yourself. Think of your opponent looking for you for more than 5 minutes. This isn't real life, this is game life, it's suppose to be fun, not frustrating.

So keep 'canon' as long as it doesn't break the mmo feel people search for.
Yes, this is a game, an MMO based on Star Trek. But it doesn't have to use specific game mechanics to be called an MMO. What we need are new ideas, not more limiting factors.

If the KvK match takes too long, so what? Just wait till the Feds get a cloak. (Its coming, see the Galaxy-X).

What needs to change and get "fun" is the PvP itself, not individual things within it. And I rarely even use my cloak, and now that I'm in a carrier, not at all. But to limit something so drastically, something that is so core to the IP, just isn't the answer.

Edit: I have to ask, how many times has this been a problem? Where one K team doesn't want to attack first? I've ranked up almost exclusively by PvP and I've never seen it happen.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Quote:
I'm not suggesting that you said to nerf cloak, what I'm saying is that the more artificial "rules" that don't have any basis in the IP are included, the further we get away from this being a Star Trek game.
See my last edit on my OP mentionning about Klingon Honor Energy level. After all, klingons represent honorable warrior race. Then it is not far fetch to include a meter that prevents klingon of staying cloak for extremely long period of times.

After all, There is no Honor from running from a fight. Staying cloak forever is still the same. Your avoiding battle at the expense of another player.

So for your 'canon folks', include a Klingon Honor Meter. Can't cloak if it's empty, it resets to full upon dying. Goes up the longer you are uncloak, but at a slow pace.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Quote:
See my last edit on my OP mentionning about Klingon Honor Energy level. After all, klingons represent honorable warrior race. Then it is not far fetch to include a meter that prevents klingon of staying cloak for extremely long period of times.

After all, There is no Honor from running from a fight. Staying cloak forever is still the same. Your avoiding battle at the expense of another player.

So for your 'canon folks', include a Klingon Honor Meter. Can't cloak if it's empty, it resets to full upon dying. Goes up the longer you are uncloak, but at a slow pace.
An Honor... meter? Now you're suggesting another artificial rule that would break immersion. You can't measure honor by how long someone does or doesn't stay cloaked.

And actually, I strongly disagree. There are times when running from a fight is a good thing. For example to win an arena match. There are also times when hitting Abandon Ship, running full bore into a furball, popping Eng Team and Hazard Emitters on a team mate and then blowing up are just as important.

Players will play as honorable or not, that's the point of playing with people and not pre-defined AI. That's the point of playing an MMO in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Yes, this is a game, an MMO based on Star Trek. But it doesn't have to use specific game mechanics to be called an MMO. What we need are new ideas, not more limiting factors.

If the KvK match takes too long, so what? Just wait till the Feds get a cloak. (Its coming, see the Galaxy-X).

What needs to change and get "fun" is the PvP itself, not individual things within it. And I rarely even use my cloak, and now that I'm in a carrier, not at all. But to limit something so drastically, something that is so core to the IP, just isn't the answer.
--------------------
Actually, it does have to use some level of limitations to be called an mmo. Mmos who doesn't adapt to players dies off. So at this point you can keep your 'canon' mentality when everyone else got tired of things not getting fixed or balanced.

--------------------
Afraid your missing the point, the issue isn't about the klingons, it's about the cloak. Having feds with cloaking technology will just make it worst since now both side will just stay cloak until one side decides to cloak(which always ends up badly when they do).

--------------------
And without rules, you don't get your fun factor. Have you already forgotten about the fact that some players abuse cloaks just so the opposite gives up waiting for you. You want fun? You need rules. As dumb as this sounds, sports is fun, and sports got tons of rules. Without rules or restrictions, players can do whatever they want at the expense of others. I can see your a life time subscribers, but some of us have a life. We can't be waiting long PvP games because someone like you who has all the time in the world won't concede to the fact your not the only player out there. And nothing i suggested penalizes you unless(as previously mentionned) you, yourself, abuses this game mechanic.