Lt. Commander
# 1 Devs, about that sector space
05-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Devs, I believe I heard somewhere that you wanted to change the look of the sector space. I'm just curious as to how you want it to look.

Personally I would want it to look like real space without grids, borders, titles, or colors to show which faction owns it. All that can be shown on the map as it is now. I think sector space should be black with stars. Also systems shouldn't have those bars coming up from the bottom, although I know that's been covered multiple times by many members. I don't mind seeing the name of the system and its distance though. I understand that you guys can't have open space like everyone wants, but getting rid of a lot of things you can make it look like its open.

If anyone has any other ideas feel free to post them, but I would really like to hear from a dev or GM to know if there has been any discussion about it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
Devs, I believe I heard somewhere that you wanted to change the look of the sector space. I'm just curious as to how you want it to look.

Personally I would want it to look like real space without grids, borders, titles, or colors to show which faction owns it. All that can be shown on the map as it is now. I think sector space should be black with stars. Also systems shouldn't have those bars coming up from the bottom, although I know that's been covered multiple times by many members. I don't mind seeing the name of the system and its distance though. I understand that you guys can't have open space like everyone wants, but getting rid of a lot of things you can make it look like its open.

If anyone has any other ideas feel free to post them, but I would really like to hear from a dev or GM to know if there has been any discussion about it.
Great post but without the grids I'd probably get lost and end up at Ceti Alpha V.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Not sure why, but I find sector space to be a little less annoying when I am zoomed all the way out.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s32ndDamian View Post
Great post but without the grids I'd probably get lost and end up at Ceti Alpha V.
Haha I'm talking about the grids at the bottom of sector space, it kind of looks like space has a floor lol. The map that you can open up would still look the same and lets face it, we all need that to find out way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Not sure why, but I find sector space to be a little less annoying when I am zoomed all the way out.
Probably because you can't see anything besides your ship lol. Honestly I don't find sector space annoying, I just think it can be improved to look like open space and bring another level of immersion to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Why re do sector space? Why not completely scrap it and put in a more immersive system...like a warp bridge view or a stellar cartography room like the one Picard and Data were in during ST Generations.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgomir View Post
Why re do sector space? Why not completely scrap it and put in a more immersive system...like a warp bridge view or a stellar cartography room like the one Picard and Data were in during ST Generations.
Because that is a large amount of work and would take way too much time that could better spent on other content. A stellar cartography room is fine, and can really just be used to view the entire galaxy in a nice floating holographic form. That could be nice, but you wouldn't fly through space in that room.

As for a warp bridge view, I think the devs said they wouldn't be doing that, but I could be wrong. Frankly I would love the idea of my ship being at warp and I can walk around doing whatever is necessary on board my ship.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the way they did the warping could have been better and more immersive, but this is what we were given and this is what we have to work with. Scraping something at this point of a game or any project for that matter is rarely an option. Its like building a house from scratch and realizing the walls of one room are the wrong color so you go and knock out all those walls to do it over instead of painting over it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Quote:
...I understand that you guys can't have open space like everyone wants...
I don't understand why they can't have space be 'open space'.

I've noticed two possible limitations to making the entire map one large, seamless expanse - physical game geometry and population capacity limits.

In regards to the game geometry -

Sector space doesn't seem to use very much actual geometry. The number of polygons on the floor and walls is minimal at best, and the planets are low-rez enough that you can see the polygon vertices. Remove the popsicle sticks and orbiting planets (which are overly stylized anyway), and you can reduce the number of polygons in half. Remove the ribbons and you go down even farther. If the walls and floors are gone, then enlarging the area we can fly in can be done infinitely without adding a single polygon.

I propose Cryptic takes a single sector, make it 20 - 30 times larger (to encompass all flyable space), place the worlds in approximately the same locations, and have those serve as the zone-points they are currently.

In regards to population capacity limits -

As I fly about, I occasionally check the populations of the various sectors I fly through. From my observations, I'm noticing between 15 - 25 players in any given area. I presume that there's a cap after which an additional instance of the sector is spawned. We don't often care about other players in other sectors anyway, so let's presume Cryptic has chosen the current population-per-sector cap based on immersion. That is to say, they find that 15 - 25 people in 'zone chat' is enough to remind the player that we're in a multi-player world.

I propose Cryptic continue to use their metric as the zone cap... but instead of 15 - 25 people per zone, it's 15 - 25 people flying in the open map. Given current LOD technology and the lack of any need for ship animations, that could easily be expanded to 100.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Darkjedi, I'm not 100% sure but I think it has something to do with the engine they used, not if the tech exists or not. Obviously I'm not a dev so I can't say for certain, and perhaps the things you suggested aren't enough. The only way to know for sure is if you are a developer of the game and you know how the code/engine works.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Darkjedi, I'm not 100% sure but I think it has something to do with the engine they used, not if the tech exists or not. Obviously I'm not a dev so I can't say for certain, and perhaps the things you suggested aren't enough. The only way to know for sure is if you are a developer of the game and you know how the code/engine works.
True enough.

I've worked on several games for different platforms (PC, console), so I know level design, art, animation, and things of that nature. What I DON'T know is their engine and it's limits.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-19-2010, 03:40 PM
I agree.

Remove the grid in Sector space but leave the galaxy map gridded. Since I use auto-pilot most of the time, not having the grid in sector space would be great. I would also like to see the systems be represented by just the star and have it be a natural hue (whatever color it is in the system space is the color it should be on the sector space). Also with a slightly smaller label and distance marker.

And I also agree with the idea of allowing you to travel while on your bridge. And it can work like this:
Go to bridge
Go to helm station
Select system
Travel (with a countdown timer to destination)
Walk around ship while traveling (take care of personnel and supply issues or sit in ready room)
Be notified by first officer for option of joining space battles that would be en route
Arrive at destination
Leave Bridge

That would take four or five load screens and turn it into just two (enter bridge, leave bridge)

Also, the viewscreen could display the Win 3.1 "flying stars" while at warp.