Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
05-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by armageddonx View Post
Why does everyone want Higher Tier Variants of the old and busted Starships?

I mean people are talking about Akira Class and Galaxy Class are like 100 year old models. No amount of "Re-Fitting" is going to modernize it.

HENSE the Star Cruisers/Advanced Escorts... Tier 6 ships would most likely be even newer and NOT rehashed old Variants. You don't see people in TNG flying around in "Refit Constitution Class"
There are two groups of people playing STO:

* Trekkers/Trekkies: This group plays because they like to immerse themselves in the history/culture of Star Trek. To these fans flying a particular ship is part of the fantasy they wish to live out.

* Trek fans: These people just want to play a fun game in the Star Trek universe. They don't care of it's set in TOS, TNG, ENT, or STO time period. To them flying a new design is just as cool as flying an old one.

Also, the Galaxy, as well as the Defiant and Intrepid, is only around 40-45 years old ship designs. Those ships are easily modernized. Think about how many times the EE went back to a Starbase for a engine or system upgrade in TNG. Even in the game these ships start out with standard Mk VIII gear and you upgrade them to Mk X as you play.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
05-17-2010, 09:49 AM
I like the sense of evolution we saw in ST going to Intrepid/Sovereign shaped primary hulls that flowed from the secondary.

The evolution with the Star Cruisers and Fleet Escorts (based off Defiant thinking) makes sense, too but this needs to be apparent inthe lower tiers, as well. Or does Starfleet only design new ships as the biggest instead of replacing the old workhorses (they've been using the Miranda's for 200 years!)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
05-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
I like the sense of evolution we saw in ST going to Intrepid/Sovereign shaped primary hulls that flowed from the secondary.

The evolution with the Star Cruisers and Fleet Escorts (based off Defiant thinking) makes sense, too but this needs to be apparent inthe lower tiers, as well. Or does Starfleet only design new ships as the biggest instead of replacing the old workhorses (they've been using the Miranda's for 200 years!)
No. They give the older ships to the lower ranks.
As exhibited when you leveled your character.

I'm sorry but if you want to fly around a Tier 5/6 Galaxy would mean realistically you'd be flying around a ship that was 100 years old.

That would be the modern equivalent of driving a Ford Model T to work every day.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
05-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by armageddonx View Post
I mean people are talking about Akira Class and Galaxy Class are like 100 year old models. No amount of "Re-Fitting" is going to modernize it.
Your so wrong.
The Boeing 747's are still being modified, enhanced and upgraded to this day to modern standards and we are still using space shuttles that are decades old but have modern and advanced avionics.
Plus whats to say that Galaxy and Akira class ships are re-fits? For all we know they may actually be brand new a whole lot of them.
Either way it does not matter, because starships are such collosal things not bound by the same principles we construct vehicles today and there really is no limit to how they can be refitted other than size, but that pretty much applies to both old and new ships.

I mean hey, even the Excelsior class ship could be refitted to be a serious threat against the Defiant, not to mention it saw a lot of active service during the dominion war as did the Miranda.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
05-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by armageddonx View Post
I'm sorry but if you want to fly around a Tier 5/6 Galaxy would mean realistically you'd be flying around a ship that was 100 years old.
Again, unless you're misunderstanding the timeline of STO, the Galaxy Class was introduced in 2363. The current time is 2409. The Class has only been in use for 46 years and has gone through several upgrades during that time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
05-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Your so wrong.
The Boeing 747's are still being modified, enhanced and upgraded to this day to modern standards and we are still using space shuttles that are decades old but have modern and advanced avionics.
That's a perfect example because the Boeing 747 was first built in 1910.

The Boeing 747 was first flown in 1970.
Not to mention it's being phased out with the Boeing Trip-7 lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Again, unless you're misunderstanding the timeline of STO, the Galaxy Class was introduced in 2363. The current time is 2409. The Class has only been in use for 46 years and has gone through several upgrades during that time.
Ohh... so going into Iraq with a Sherman tank makes much more sense than taking a M1A1 Abrams.
We use Sherman tanks all the time still. Right?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
05-17-2010, 10:05 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~ Phoxe
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
05-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by armageddonx View Post
Why does everyone want Higher Tier Variants of the old and busted Starships?
Because I don't care if X Imaginary ship couldn't possibly be as powerful as Y imaginary ship. Kirk didn't trade ships every two weeks, and I don't want to, either. I want a ship to be my ship, the same way the Enterprise was Kirk's ship.

Quote:
I mean people are talking about Akira Class and Galaxy Class are like 100 year old models. No amount of "Re-Fitting" is going to modernize it.
The Galaxy is like 60, and the design documents say it's intended to be in service for at least 100 years, with refits. Ships don't explode when their time is up. As long as the systems can be upgraded, a ship can stay in service for as long as it holds together.

Quote:
You don't see people in TNG flying around in "Refit Constitution Class"
Just Mirandas and Excelsiors, which are almost as old.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
05-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
Space shuttles have only lasted this long due to an incompetent American space program that has yet to design a replacement, not because they're reliable work horses, but because NASA keeps getting their budget slashed.

They're being phased out this year anyway, with no suitable replacement for at least a decade because Obama is a short sighted fool.
The decision to phase-out the space shuttle program in 2010 was made in 2005.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
05-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
The decision to phase-out the space shuttle program in 2010 was made in 2005.
As it should be. Obama however recently cancelled all development into the shuttle's replacement, setting back the American space program at least 10 years.
Oh well I'm sure the first Chinese citizen on Mars will look back on Obama's Presidency with fondness.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:25 AM.