Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
The option I don't understand is Greed.

Specifically, what's to stop some arsehole group member from always choosing Greed, and thus walking away with pretty much all the best loot?

Thanks,

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBlueHero View Post
The option I don't understand is Greed.

Specifically, what's to stop some arsehole group member from always choosing Greed, and thus walking away with pretty much all the best loot?

Thanks,

KOS
Lol. TOO EASY.

CHOOSE NEED!
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-17-2010, 11:19 PM
They could always implement a loot-master option if one is not already in place yet.

Loot-master gives only one person rights to the loot, and allows that person to pass it out to the other players based on some rule-set that the loot-master laid out before the run.

Since the rolls are random for any of the settings that have a roll, you could have the team all roll need, but then if a person really needed the item, said person would get hosed.

There is not much you can really do about the loot system other than to set it to round robin like Omega in a couple posts down has mentioned.

Need/Greed you are pretty much at the mercy of those you group with and the dice should you all choose to greed or all choose to need and so forth.

Hopefully Cryptic will look into a loot-master setup at some point, but even that can be abused.
I have heard stories In another game I have played about loot-masters ripping people off on gear, so unless you set it for round robin, there is really nothing that can be done to insure one person can't totally walk away with everything.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-18-2010, 12:19 AM
The Need or Greed system is exactly what it sounds like. It is a system that allows players to view the item dropped and select the choice that suits their situation. A great time to use this form of loot system would be, for example, when grouping with friends, or fleet mates. This will allow you to go out as a group (of players who you trust) and rather then try and divy up loot to those who need it at the end make on the spot choices. Item A drops and I don't need it then I hit greed. If everyone hits greed someone at random will get the item (typically based off a fabricated dice roll) and they can do whatever with the item. If someone needs it however they can hit need which will then override all the greed roles giving it to that player. If two players both roll need on the same item then a fabricated dice roll between the two will decide who gets the item.

the bad part of using this system with random players is that there are alot of players with no honor or integrity and will use the excuse of "well I 'need' the credits I can get from selling the item. Unfortunately all you can try to do is explain to them how utterly pointless credits is in STO since we still allow idiots to continue breeding.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Need, Greed, or Pass is essentially putting faith in humanity.

If two people need the item - they'll have random dice rolls against each other.

I pass more frequently than I choose need in groups.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-18-2010, 01:00 AM
It exists solely for screwing you out of your loot.

IN Deep Space Encounters, its robbery. In Raids, its testing and often breaking friendships.

Go Round Robin, or go home.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-18-2010, 02:34 AM
Its easier to think of it this way. Greed always rolls a number between 1-100 and Need rolls between 101 and 200. At the end of all the rolls the person with the higest score wins the item.

This means that if a whole team rolls greed and one person rolls Need - the Need person is guarunteed to get the item (as noone rolling greed can beat the need score)

If more than 1 person rolls Need - they will roll against the other person(s) that rolled Need for the item but the item will always go to one or other of the Need players (as noone rolling greed can beat their roll score)

Some teams agree at the start that all players on the team need to rolll Need so that everyone gets the same probability/chance to loot the item.

I think thats how it works anyway.

Round robin is probably better and prevents ninja looters or people spamming NEED on every item.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-18-2010, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBlueHero View Post
You choosing greed as well? That's why it's called greed, you only want the loot for the money you'll get selling it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-18-2010, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor12345 View Post
You choosing greed as well? That's why it's called greed, you only want the loot for the money you'll get selling it.
The thing is "Need" rolls higher than "greed" I believe - so if someone wants to be an @ss they will spam "need" for every drop.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-18-2010, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_X
It exists solely for screwing you out of your loot.

IN Deep Space Encounters, its robbery. In Raids, its testing and often breaking friendships.

Go Round Robin, or go home.
Wow, if a friendship were to break up over the use of need or greed I'd seriously doubt the genuineness of the friendship and the sanity of the ex-friends.

It's my default setting (with Uncommon threshold) and I've gotten people asking timidly "Is it okay if I pick need on this?" like they're afraid of being considered an ultra-douche for grabbing a green weapon they think is cool far more often than people spamming need on everything (actually, the number of times I've observed the latter behavior first hand is zero, which is a desperately needed boost to my faith in humanity).