Lt. Commander
# 41
05-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrano
Congratulations, sir. The Naval Academy is a fine, fine school, regardless of if you stay in or not afterwards. Make sure that if you do go, pay your respects to John Paul Jones there, the Father of the US Navy. I have my fingers crossed for you
Not quite time to get excited yet, so far it's just my preliminary application. In other words, my ACT and SAT scores were acceptable. :p

Still a lot of opportunities to turn me down ahead.
Lt. Commander
# 42
05-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Except for the sun allergy thing.

Which is an enormous bummer.

While we're on the subject, my preliminary application to the Naval Academy was accepted. :p

Workin' on getting my nominations now.

Edit: In hindsight, that might seem like rubbing Ravenstein's face in it, which was not my intention, I promise.
Congratulations Hazard! I know nothing about applying for Naval Academies, so are the nominations difficult to get or are they already in the bag?
Lt. Commander
# 43
05-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Except for the sun allergy thing.

Which is an enormous bummer.

While we're on the subject, my preliminary application to the Naval Academy was accepted. :p

Workin' on getting my nominations now.

Edit: In hindsight, that might seem like rubbing Ravenstein's face in it, which was not my intention, I promise.
Don't worry about it. I have come to terms with my sun allergy and will live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corban_Lewis
Congratulations Hazard! I know nothing about applying for Naval Academies, so are the nominations difficult to get or are they already in the bag?
Rather difficult. You kinda need to kiss enough congressman tushie to get them to write you a letter of recommendation.
Lt. Commander
# 44
05-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Don't worry about it. I have come to terms with my sun allergy and will live with it.

Rather difficult. You kinda need to kiss enough congressman tushie to get them to write you a letter of recommendation.
Oh. That sounds like so much fun.
Lt. Commander
# 45
05-18-2010, 02:43 PM
When people form large clusters in hallways, clogging the artery of traffic.....or really slow moving people in front of me that I can't pass in a hallway or walkway.
Lt. Commander
# 46
05-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Sun allergy, hrm.
Does the need to feast on blood come with that?
Lt. Commander
# 47
05-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Word.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh. That sounds like so much fun.
It's more than just that, too.

First, I have to convince a senator or congressman to nominate me. That's three people, one of whom needs to like me enough to nominate me.
Second, each senator and congressman nominates ten people, and the Academy chooses the most qualified person of that list of ten.

So basically, even if I get a nomination, I'm still competing against nine other people for an actual official, accepted nomination.

Then there's the interview with my local Blue and Gold officer, then there's the physical (which I'm not worried about) and the PT test (which, even in the shape I'm in now, I can pass, so not worried there) and if I pass all that, all of the above information is put together into my official application packet.

Yes, that's all part of the application. I'm still not accepted yet.

At that point, if the application passes the Academy admissions board, I'll be told I'm in line to join the class of 2015.

Then there's about a 75% chance I'll actually join the class of 2015. The class may fill up before my name is picked, and I STILL might get turned down, and put back in the pool for the class of 2016.

And if I don't make it into the class of 2016, I'm f*cked, because then I'll be 23 years old and no longer eligible to attend the Academy.
Lt. Commander
# 48
05-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Word.

It's more than just that, too.

First, I have to convince a senator or congressman to nominate me. That's three people, one of whom needs to like me enough to nominate me.
Second, each senator and congressman nominates ten people, and the Academy chooses the most qualified person of that list of ten.

So basically, even if I get a nomination, I'm still competing against nine other people for an actual official, accepted nomination.

Then there's the interview with my local Blue and Gold officer, then there's the physical (which I'm not worried about) and the PT test (which, even in the shape I'm in now, I can pass, so not worried there) and if I pass all that, all of the above information is put together into my official application packet.

Yes, that's all part of the application. I'm still not accepted yet.

At that point, if the application passes the Academy admissions board, I'll be told I'm in line to join the class of 2015.

Then there's about a 75% chance I'll actually join the class of 2015. The class may fill up before my name is picked, and I STILL might get turned down, and put back in the pool for the class of 2016.

And if I don't make it into the class of 2016, I'm f*cked, because then I'll be 23 years old and no longer eligible to attend the Academy.
Oh is that all.

*Walks out of the thread*

Lt. Commander
# 49
05-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Oh is that all.

*Walks out of the thread*

Yeah it's pretty brutal.

But I maintain hope.

Even though I heard somewhere that hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Lt. Commander
# 50
05-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Yeah it's pretty brutal.

But I maintain hope.

Even though I heard somewhere that hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Well.... best of luck