Lt. Commander
# 131
03-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
I am quite ashamed that instead of congratulating the winner on his awesome story, there is quite a few of you who are complaining that his story went over the 300 words. That indicates poor sportsmanship to me and also takes away the joy of our contest winner.

He won, because the story was the best out of the hundreds that we received. The entire team enjoyed it immensely.

I will be talking to Zinc today. Further contests will most likely be a random lottery due to this bent in the conversation. - Makes me sad.
Awen -

How could you and the team NOT have foreseen this exact reaction from your community?

I mean, seriously. As a participant sympathetic to the amount of entries you get, I was more than eager to create a story within the boundaries of the rules given, primarily because shorter stories means less for your team to read through, but also as a great writing challenge. How succinct can I be in that short of a space?

But seeing this - and after the admitted fiasco that was the first contest. I'm seriously as dumbfounded as the rest of the commenters here.

This isn't a judgment of the winner or his entry - it was certainly entertaining. But rules are rules. What is our incentive to stick to the parameters your team issues going forward?
Lt. Commander
# 132
03-25-2009, 10:37 AM
I dont mind at all. His story was good, however I wish I had bent the rules too I had so much to write... Oh well, tis the way the cookie crumbles. And here is the writing I did If anyone wants to read it:p Enjoy.

As I walked up, noticing this empty chair next to what I believe to be the female of a species I have never seen before. As I had just started to greet her, I was ripped from my stool and thrown to the floor. As we tumbled on the floor, my assailant cut my arm, drawing blood. I managed to use his bulk to my advantage, pinning him by his throat. She tells me the fight is over, and I have won my place. After standing he nods his acceptance and leaves.
Bewildered I ask her “Why he attacked me?” She simply replies “Other species are not allowed to approach our species females without proving their intent, mainly displayed through combat. Since I chose that you had succeeded in showing your determination, he respected my wishes.”
As we continued to discuss this occurrence they herald from the Valor Enora system, which contains twin suns, with two planets. The smaller blue “dwarf” star would be called Enora, signifying the male breed and the planet Enora which orbits Enora, named for its lower breed. Valor is the name of the blue giant, as well as the planet Valor which orbits Valor. Enora also means male, and Valor female. Valor is a higher cast, consisting of the female species, which are only 8% of the population. The Enora is bread to do all labour and combat, while the Valor, every single one, are not only there mental superior, but also command males through a one-way telepathic link. The Valor travel in fleets, each Saltar(fleet) commanded by single Valor which travel to enhance their species. This pilgrimage introduces new genes obtained through trade which enhance the Enora under cast to greater increase the efficiency of their breed. I understand...

Oh yah it is 300 exact... And the oh "I understand" could have been better because she took some of our male human characters DNA to, wish I had had more room to fill out the story. Well I wasnt the best but I think I would easily create the species I described, and add them to at least my crew.

Oh yah there are some mistakes cause this was written in the matter of 20 minutes when I originally handed it in.
Lt. Commander
# 133
03-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Its easy to write a more compelling and interesting story when you have twice the amount of words 'everyone else' used.

Sorry to belabour the point, but this is something of concern to the potential community of STO - shouldn't the devs be building trust with the people they want to be (paying) players? I think much of the offence at the result is not that a person lost, but because they feel unfairly treated....

You'll be telling me next you fixed druids in pvp too

Grats to the winner, btw "Vanterians spoke with duel meanings" its DUAL.
Lt. Commander
# 134
03-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Danger
I think much of the offence at the result is not that a person lost, but because they feel unfairly treated...
I dont know, but I dont take this personally at all. I guess some rules are meant to be broken He is a Kirk of our age. Well I hope next time we can atleast feel more congratulatory for our perspective winner/winners. Oh yah, just mention that either you can go over by an amount, or maybe set it at a page limit, say one page on a typing program.

Anyways I am stoked to particpate in the next one
Lt. Commander
# 135
03-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Ok I'm going to tell you guys the same thing I've been telling people in my PMs for the morning -

It was not my intention or this company's intention to take a dump on anyone. I read the entry, got excited about it and passed it around. I didn't realize that it was more than 300 words when I read it. I just liked it and so did everyone else. Sometimes it's hard to contain the excitement right? The guy - despite the poor grammar - had a great story for these aliens. It moved me and I wanted to show my appreciation to him by awarding him the prize.

I'm just sorry that the community couldn't come together and congratulate him as a whole. Unfortunately this affects the way we're going to do contests from now on and we won't be able to foster the creativity of this community anymore.

I'm sorry that you've taken this excitement and enjoyment and turned it into something not good.
Lt. Commander
# 136 Utter shambles!!!
03-25-2009, 10:59 AM
LOL LOL LOL

And there I was, thinking that the previous contest was a bit of a mess.

but this, this is really unbelievable. Breaking your own contest rules, by which most honest, loyal and trustful fans and aspiring writers abided and worked really hard on their 300 word entries is simply the worst mistake and the biggest f up you can imagine.

It is scandalously unprofessional, shockingly disrespectful and utterly pathetic. YOU should be ashamed of yourselves, Cryptic. I am not even going to comment on the last, rude, childish and imbecile comments by Awen.

Jesus F Christ, what a mess!

I feel for all you guys who submitted your entries. I am sorry for you.

Cryptic doesn't have any shame and they won't even apologise or try to straighten things up.

Pathetic.

i don't think I will be posting here anymore.
And yeah, i don't think I willl be buying ANY of their products, STO or not

What a disgrace.
Lt. Commander
# 137
Quote:
Ok I'm going to tell you guys the same thing I've been telling people in my PMs for the morning -

It was not my intention or this company's intention to take a dump on anyone. I read the entry, got excited about it and passed it around. I didn't realize that it was more than 300 words when I read it. I just liked it and so did everyone else. Sometimes it's hard to contain the excitement right? The guy - despite the poor grammar - had a great story for these aliens. It moved me and I wanted to show my appreciation to him by awarding him the prize.

I'm just sorry that the community couldn't come together and congratulate him as a whole. Unfortunately this affects the way we're going to do contests from now on and we won't be able to foster the creativity of this community anymore.

I'm sorry that you've taken this excitement and enjoyment and turned it into something not good.
I'm comming in on this conversation late, but I can see both sides of the issue. On the one hand, as you say, the community's response should be congratulation, not "sore losership". On the other hand, rules are rules, and if they arent going to be enforced then they shouldnt exist in the first place. If the rules stipulate that the entry cannot be more than 300 words, and an entry IS more than 300 words, then that AUTOMATICALY disqualifies the entry. In the end, I will say my congrats to the person who won. However, the fact that the managment at Cryptic is willing to break their own rules makes me question their integrity
Lt. Commander
# 138
Was the story good, yes. But it wasn't right to disenfranchise all those who abided by the rules.

What's to say of all those who were forced to trim their stories to meet that 300 word limit, couldn't have come up with one better than Hybrid's?

And what of future contests? What's to stop people in ignoring those rules?
Lt. Commander
# 139
03-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Quote:

1 ~ It was not my intention or this company's intention to take a dump on anyone. I read the entry, got excited about it and passed it around. I didn't realize that it was more than 300 words when I read it. I just liked it and so did everyone else. Sometimes it's hard to contain the excitement right? The guy - despite the poor grammar - had a great story for these aliens. It moved me and I wanted to show my appreciation to him by awarding him the prize.

2 ~ I'm just sorry that the community couldn't come together and congratulate him as a whole. Unfortunately this affects the way we're going to do contests from now on and we won't be able to foster the creativity of this community anymore.

I actually am happy for the winner, Awen ...

1 ~ But even though you see a story you like, you still need to step back a moment and look at the rules that was set up. I think that is what many people are upset about. Choose the story then look it over to make sure. Always double double check.

If the grammar was bad, you could have corrected it and placed a notation at the bottom of the entry posted.

2 ~ And if you REALLY feel that a FEW people who share their negative opinion about something and wish to stop the contests, then I am saddened. How does the saying go? One bad apple spoils the barrel?

Don't let it get to you. Just make sure to be careful next time.

I'm still going to share my story in the topic created in the Holodeck forum. Read it if you like, or you don't have to. I'll still try for contests (I wasn't sure if I didn't get it cause I forgot my Forum name of didn't put the screenshot in .. eh oh well)
Lt. Commander
# 140
03-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Quote:

Well...I don't understand why it would affect future creative contests. Most folks congratulated the guy for a job well done myself included....and given English isn't everyones first language I don't think Grammar should be pointed out by anyone to be honest

Alot of people just feel disappointing that they could have done more and didn't. It's getting out of hand in some places and that kind of stuff I agree I'm sorry to see. I would call this a lesson learned for all though instead of closing things altogether. The winner did a good job and should not feel singled out. I, nor any of our Fleet take away from his story.

You said yourself you never realized it was over 300...mistakes happen, everyones human and that answer should be enough for anyone really. No one here can claim to be perfect afterall, I'm certainly not It was a good story, and they did a good job. But let's not let simple hurt feelings get out of control on either side.
Closed Thread