Lt. Commander
# 21
05-18-2010, 02:43 PM
I have to say Cipher you and I are usually on opposites sides but on this point I agree. I have tried Terradome. Currently I won't bother again. There are points where there are way to many Undine to be realistic. I do kinda get the Starship Trooper feel. I totally agree with the changes you have suggested.

STF's as a whole have been dissapointing for me. I like the story ideas. I like the concept. The implementation has been horrid. The difficutly is amped up more than it needs to be. When I spend 5 hours doing one STF only to give up and never go back that is not a good thinkg for Cryptic. Hard I get. Nearly Impossible I don't.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Stipe
I have to say Cipher you and I are usually on opposites sides but on this point I agree. I have tried Terradome. Currently I won't bother again. There are points where there are way to many Undine to be realistic. I do kinda get the Starship Trooper feel. I totally agree with the changes you have suggested.
Thanks. I truly hope Cryptic takes this to heart and does some serious changes. Heck, I really don't mind if they leave what they have for people who want zerg-fests (though I can't imagine why) and then give us a second option for Terrordome to fix the bulk of the complaints.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-18-2010, 03:09 PM
They really need to have mooks in this game, just crappy low level badguys that you can fight if they want to zerg things at you and save the Undine for an "OH MY GOD NO IT'S AN UNDINE! Nobody's taken on down on the live server yet!"
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Did you get a chance to check out the Undine Terrordome yet? If not, go check it out (at least get into the "sewers" behind Quark's Bar before reading this). So what could Cryptic have done to make the Undine viable in STO? Here's my ideas. Cryptic, are you "listening"?
  • Greatly reduce the numbers. Make the Undine much more unique. Don't throw hundreds of them at a 5-man group of Federation Rear Admirals. That cheapens the experience. We're supposed to be startled by meeting one. Currently the Undine added to Terrordome make STO feel more like Starship Troopers and less like Trek.
  • Make the Undine more powerful (provided their numbers are cut back by powers of 10). They're supposed to be an extremely dangerous species. Give them melee attacks that are even more deadly to keep us on our toes so that we never want to see them up-close. With the current zerg-fest of Undine, this isn't reasonable. But with MUCH fewer numbers, this would make things much more interesting.
  • Let the Undine hide. Make them more difficult to spot. Initially, Voyager's crew had a difficult time finding them. Make them hide in the shadows and pop out at us when least expected. Make them into the xenophobic species they're supposed to be in Trek canon.
  • Give the Undine better AI. Have them hide and protect themselves at range, then run it to try to do deadly melee damage to players. Right now they just run around and attack like mindless zombies on speed.
  • Drop the whole insect feeling. Why do Undine have to reproduce with pods or have tons of alien-like, goo-ridden power nodes around? Is this Trek or is this just another B-rated Sci-Fi flick?.

The only good thing I have to say about the Undine is that the art team did a great job on designing them. Other than that, the Terrordome experience is horrid.

So what are you ideas to make the Undine a more Trek-like experience that's actually interesting?
I agree 100% + another 100 on top of that... so, it's like a double scoop of superman ice cream in a sexy cone.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-18-2010, 09:45 PM
I was asked to join a group of hardcore guys... real players... my first & only time through Terradome. I only fell like twice... respawned once... it was quite the scary experience defending the engineer... ended up with a very large security force b4 it was over & I must say being overwhelmed with undine was exciting the first time.... but I have no desire to repeat... not sure how I survived but I did... we just ran through it pretty much... but keep in mind we did infected & cure back to back right b4 in 2 hours - zero casualties in infected & maybe 2 falls & zero respawns or do-overs in the cure.... We killed the boss easily & the Sulu invulnerable Bug kept us from getting credit... we got the loot though... purple SCI kit...researcher mkX

Napoleon BlownApart

High Commander

Imperial StarFleet
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-24-2010, 07:46 AM
I don't want to argue with anyone or take one side over another; I just want to state a simple fact.
I, personally, have "Raided" in games for years. 5, 10, 25, 60 man etc etc...

I won't run one "Special" Task Force.

Even if they fixed the problems with the STFs and made then easier, shorter, and more fun I wouldn't run them still.

Why? The time invested does not equal the reward given. I know of at least one "Fleet" who left the game over this very reason. If the Time Invested versus the Challenge Completed does not equal the Reward given to players then they will not run it.

This is not a gear or equipment-centric game for the most part. They MUST give us the incentive of being "fun" to play in this case and I think that's where they're struggling because what's fun for one person might be not fun at all for another.

I remember a Raid called "Kara" that we would run just because it was fun. There was no reward for us. We had "Out-Geared" virtually every piece of content. However we always came back to "Kara", this *starter* Raid, and ran it every Saturday for no other reason other than it was purely just fun to do.

For goodness sakes they had one boss that was "Chess". How boring could that be? But it wasn't! It was a blast! How about a "Dabo" Boss? Now THAT would be cool! Maybe some Hi-Jink by Q? :p

I maintain my stand. I'll be here until I have no other choice but to leave.
This game has the capacity to be great; They only lack the light to show the way.

Cryptic; forget gear and shiny ships. Just make the game fun and people will come in droves.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Well, if you did the STF the right way, you wouldn't get zerg rushed. I'm a casual player and when i did it, i didn't die that often when i did it properly, nor get that ridiculous setback when you fail the hacking.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
Well, if you did the STF the right way, you wouldn't get zerg rushed. I'm a casual player and when i did it, i didn't die that often when i did it properly, nor get that ridiculous setback when you fail the hacking.
"The right way"? LOL. You might not get "zerg-rushed" if you're careful, but it's still a "zerg-fest". Knowing and sharing the difference between those two terms would help.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-24-2010, 10:17 AM
"It couldve been epic"

It kind of describes the entire STO game doesnt it LOL.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Expired comment