Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Anime - mostly animation on film, manga - mostly printed graphics but with some moved on to anime or animesque film is great.

It has been a long time since I followed the topic with any real interst though. I sometimes browse anime / manga sites when I'm bored. Some of the stuff out there is downright wierd!

I have DVDs of;

Final Fantasy VII and another - forgot name
Highlander
Spirited Away
Howls Moving castle
Blood the last Vampire (shortish!)
Kiki's Delivery Service - loaned out and as yet unreturned!

And some old and decaying VHS that I really ought to put onto DVD;

3X3 Eyes (Sazan Eyes)
Doomed Megalopolis
Akira
Golgo 13 - The Professional
The Guyver - Genesis of the Guyver
Thunder birds 2086 ( a few episodes)
Urotsukidoji - 3 or 4 movies

Bought for my nephews / nieces when they where very young;

Card Captors VHS
Pokemon

Others I seem to remember watching when much younger or just plain bored (they where on TV!);

Gundam Wing
Science Ninja Team Gatchaman or its adaptations; G-Force / Battle of the planets / Eagle Riders etc.
Dragon Ball X
Avatar (No, not the new smurfs movie)
Ulysses 31 - counts as anime I don't care what ya say - got access to all episodes!
Mysterious Cities of Gold - yes it is anime :p

I have a few more I cannot be bothered to look up just now too - in a cupboard somewhere!

Me thinks me needs to place some orders! Cowboy Bebop looks .. interesting!
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-18-2010, 04:37 PM
And because I already typed the summary of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya up in Capulet's thread, I am reposting it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Basic plot is a regular guy named Kyon meets a strange girl named Haruhi Suzumiya. Haruhi is 'not interested in ordinary humans' and wants to do extraordinary things like you see on TV shows. Especially the crazy anime series that have magical girls, giants robots, strange mysteries, and all that.

In talking with Haruhi, Kyon accidentally gives Haruhi the idea to start a club dedicated to making strange things occur and then investigating them. Haruhi proceeds to form a club called the SOS Brigade and forces Kyon, the quiet and unemotional Yuki Nagato, the well endowed and helplessly cute Mikuru Asahina, and the mysterious transfer student Itsuki Koizumi to join upon pain of death. The club has been meticulously built to attract strangeness because everyone knows to attract strange things you need an intrepid leader, a seemingly normal guy to do all the grunt work, an unemotional girl, a cute girl, and a mysterious transfer student.

Then the strange stuff starts happening. To Kyon. First the three other club members reveal themselves to be an alien, a time traveler, and a psychic who represent organizations that are monitoring Haruhi because they have reason to believe that she is able to subconsciously warp reality to suit her needs. Then his classmates attack Kyon with knives. Then Haruhi gets bored. When Haruhi gets bored, strange things start happening to the world to entertain her. If she gets bored/upset enough, she may even destroy the world and rebuild it in a more interesting form. All the while, Haruhi doesn't notice all the strange stuff going on or writes it off as 'normal'.

Meanwhile, Kyon just wants to get with cute redhead time traveler. And survive.

The series is largely a humor series that will parody anything and everything, especially other anime series. But it also has some cute romantic and social subplots going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Haruhi herself is like one big 'Just be Yourself' after school special that has taken copious amounts of caffeine and forces other people to bend to her will...

And it features a rock show, bunny girls with AK-47s, epic space battles, giant monsters, computer viruses that kidnap people, knife wielding schoolgirls, murder mysteries, baseball games for the fate of the universe, and an entire episode dedicated to space heaters.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-18-2010, 04:48 PM
My list is rather short, but here it is:

Movies/Mini-series:

Record of Lodoss War
Orguss 02
Fist of the North Star
MD Geist
Ghost in the Shell
GunBuster
BubbleGum Crisis/Crash
AD Police Files
Gunsmith Cats
Akira
Vampire Hunter D
Howl's Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
The Ninja Scrolls
Dragon Knight
Golden Boy

TV Series:
Robotech
Macross
Macross 2
Star Blazers

I really can't say anything about any other TV series, other than I thought DBall Z was stupid. Other than the Robotech/Macross series and Star Blazers that I grew up with, I didn't stick with TV anime. I was re-exposed to anime in film/short series versions when I was living in Japan back in the early '90s. Since then, I have slowed on my collecting Anime, much less keeping up with the latest and greatest, but I enjoy something with a nice storyline over just all out melee (other than Fist of the North Star, which is just fun as heck to watch).
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-18-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm guessing it wouldn't surprise any of you that I hate Star Wars with a passion then. Chobits really does get great as it progresses. At the beginning, it's just another perverted Asian sticking his fingers in places there shouldn't be switches. (; Black Lagoon really has a raw and vulgar side that I like. Not all of the characters are memorable but Revi (engrish name) really leave an impact. Same with the weapons and drug smuggling nun. My tastes are very particular and vary for some reason. Hell Girl I think I liked because it was just an excuse for people to die in most episodes. What's not to love about that?

I don't know why but I couldn't get into Cowboy Bebop. Trigun is just awesome! Vash The Stampeed is a memorable character that I really made the series great. Sailor Moon was something I started watching with my g/f at the time and continued to watch after we split. Ouron Highschool Host Club wasn't bad either. I did watch Pokemon in the beginning but last interest in it (all but the DS games) quite sometime ago. Yu-Gi-Oh was another series I liked too, just not the GX stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-18-2010, 05:01 PM
All I have is:
StarBlazers: all three Seasons (I know a shocker)
Robotech : All three Seasons, plus the Shadow Chronicles movie

Used to have Ranma 1/2 on VHS, but non lasted past a few years
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSWW View Post
I'm guessing it wouldn't surprise any of you that I hate Star Wars with a passion then.
I stopped reading here. Everything else you said is nothing but blahbidyblahblah, sir.
*takes off gauntlet, slaps JCSWW's face, and tosses it on the ground*
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
All I have is:
StarBlazers: all three Seasons (I know a shocker)
Robotech : All three Seasons, plus the Shadow Chronicles movie

Used to have Ranma 1/2 on VHS, but non lasted past a few years
Well Robotech was very americanized. It was actually 3 completely seperate series smushed into one by Harmony Gold to meet weekend synidcation episode amount requirements. Each 'Season' is a different series.

The three series in order of 'seasons'.

1) Super Dimension Fortress Macross
2) Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross
3) Genesis Climber MOSPEADA.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaza View Post
Well Robotech was very americanized. It was actually 3 completely seperate series smushed into one by Harmony Gold to meet weekend synidcation episode amount requirements. Each 'Season' is a different series.

The three series in order of 'seasons'.

1) Super Dimension Fortress Macross
2) Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross
3) Genesis Climber MOSPEADA.
I use to play the Robotech/Macross/Southern Cross RPG put out by Palladium
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Ravenstein's Full Anime List

Any questions on any particular series or shall I just go through them one by one?
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-18-2010, 05:20 PM
My favorite Anime Franchise would have to be the Mobile Suit Gundam Franchise, with Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and GaoGaiGar tying for second.

I haven't seen much of Cowboy Bebop, but I enjoyed what I did see, so it'd probably be in the top 10, maybe top 5.

I also like Bleach, Zoids, MegaMan NT Warrior, Pokemon, and Hellsing--don't really know enough to develop a true honest opinion on other Anime.

EDIT: Ravenstein, I'd actually recommend adding Mobile Suit Gundam 00 to your list--it's got a very good plot, and amazingly detailed characters.