Lt. Commander
# 81
03-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Another great addition of information and images -- thanks allot Cryptic, and Awen!
Lt. Commander
# 82
03-05-2009, 04:36 PM
The Akira looks gorgeous! I love the space graphics, I can't wait to sail through space! The Klingons look cool too, but for me the ground graphics seem a bit.. "shiny"? I'm not sure how to describe it they look good, but .. shiny. Great update and pictures!

Edit: Just noticed all the Klingons have apparently the same hairstyle/face/uniform. I want my Worf pony-tail

And in the station (green) interior shot, do I see a Klingon (or at least the same hairstyle) surrounded by what look like Feds?
Lt. Commander
# 83
03-05-2009, 04:51 PM
These new screenshots look so cool, especially the exploding planet one. I am loving it so far. Also the episodic content is really a truly amazing idea. Definitely one of the driving forces behind me getting this game.
Lt. Commander
# 84
03-05-2009, 04:56 PM
those shots look great.
Lt. Commander
# 85
03-05-2009, 05:00 PM
I thought all of these new screenshots looked great, and it is always nice to see new information posted on other websites apart from just the main Star Trek Online website since that helps to spread the word about the game and to build hype for it. Thank you very much for making these screenshots available!
Lt. Commander
# 86
03-05-2009, 05:00 PM
To be honest, when I first saw them, I thought the graphic settings must have been a bit rubbish. Then I realised they'd all been resized on the webpage! Now I've had a chance to open them all in a seperate window, I can appreciate the excellent quality much better.

The Akira, naturally, looks beautiful. The texturing is gorgeous, and I like how it works so nicely with the light around it. And not to mention the awesomeness of the exploding planetoid. In fact, all the space graphics we've seen thus far have been gorgeous. I do have some concerns, regarding the ship, that's it's apparently called "Cryptic" and not "USS Cryptic". I'm not usually one to put canon over user choice, but the "USS" bit is pretty much necessary. I'd rather see that as a compulsary prefix.

The Klingons? Well, I love the uniforms, and I like that they now have a splash of colour -- presumably to compete with the customisability of the Starfleet uniforms? I also can't help but notice how the poses are very different from those we've seen Starfleet personel taking. Much more aggressive and confident. I like it. But I can't say much more because this is apparently an infiltration team of quadruplets. I would love to see more options with Klingon customisation, which is certainly going to be a massive challenge for Cryptic.

The interior scene is ... nicely done. I have no idea what it is, but it's nicely done. The atmosphere is excellently done. And are those Vulcan robes I see?

And finally, the Orion craft. I have to say the texture detail on this thing is astounding -- far beyond what we would usually see in the series. This is true of most of what we've seen so far, but in this case a lot of the texture seems purely decorative, which really highlights this, I think. It rather makes me want to see what you're doing with the Romulan ships, actually! Also, I can't help but feel the planet below looks much more detailed and, well, "planet like" than previous screens of planets.

All in all, fabulous job, Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
# 87
03-05-2009, 05:12 PM
I don't what you guys are looking at, but that Akira looks awful. While the lighting is a lot better, the saucer is supposed to be round and smooth along its edge. You can physically see the polygon facings on the saucer edge. Of course, this is always a problem when model a round edge with flat planes, but this looks particularly awful in this case. I think I have seen a better Akira in Legacy and Bridge Commander. Textures are good. Lighting is good. Model is not so good.
Lt. Commander
# 88
03-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinC-UFPForces-Cardassia View Post
The only critique I'd make - the ship's name, Cryptic, appears to be a little outsized on the saucer. Is that designed so that the player, and other players, can see the name at a glance? Is it mean to be lacking both the moniker "USS" as well as a registry number, "NCC-12345"?
I'd bet money it's a placeholder effect, CINC, intended only for preview screenshots from the in-house testing. The outsize CRYPTIC lets viewers know which dev house released the pic, and that's all it's for ...

Actual in-game starships will look the way they're supposed to look. Again, I'd bet money on this.

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 89
03-05-2009, 05:24 PM
I love the new screenshots.

I'm particularly fond of the updated Klingon dress, in that, it suggests that they _can_ have variance in their official uniforms, if the players desire it.

One of my great complaints about the handling of Klingons in certain parts of modern Trek is the suggestion that Klingon culture is so absolutely homogeneous. It got so bad at certain points, it threatened to make the fictional Klingon culture look completely improbable.

Plausible options = good, but then, options are what Cryptic is all about!

Thanks again for the new pics!

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 90
03-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Looks good seems like this game is staring to shape up nicely.