Lt. Commander
I was perusing the old Starfleet Tecnical Manual (the TNG version) and I was somewhat struck by something in the introduction. Allow me to quote:

"Remember, Star Trek is about people; the technology is merely part of their environment. As Gene points out in his introduction, the real mission of the starship Enterprise is to serve as a vehicle for drama."

- Rick Sternback & Michael Okuda

Why do I point this out?

The reason is that I see an obsession over STUFF in the game. The next ship, the best weapon, the purple gear. As the creators of Star Trek have said, these things aren't the point of Star Trek. It should be more about the drama, the story, and the characters.

I hope the devs will keep this in mind as they continue to build upon an excellent foundation for the game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I was perusing the old Starfleet Tecnical Manual (the TNG version) and I was somewhat struck by something in the introduction. Allow me to quote:

"Remember, Star Trek is about people; the technology is merely part of their environment. As Gene points out in his introduction, the real mission of the starship Enterprise is to serve as a vehicle for drama."

Why do I point this out?

The reason is that I see an obsession over STUFF in the game. The next ship, the best weapon, the purple gear. As the creators of Star Trek have said, these things aren't the point of Star Trek. It should be more about the drama, the story, and the characters.

I hope the devs will keep this in mind as they continue to build upon an excellent foundation for the game.
That is what roleplaying is for. Join a fleet and RP your way through the game.

I just can't see a possible way for true personal drama in a scripted way. Sure it can enhance the RP factor of said drama.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracknell
That is what roleplaying is for. Join a fleet and RP your way through the game.

I just can't see a possible way for true personal drama in a scripted way. Sure it can enhance the RP factor of said drama.

I can do that with a pen and paper RPG ( and have been since 1979 ) and I can do it in an environment that I design without spending $15 a month for the privilege.

role-playing in a game such as STO and using it as an excuse for playing is just allowing the lazy production to continue.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigF View Post
I can do that with a pen and paper RPG ( and have been since 1979 ) and I can do it in an environment that I design without spending $15 a month for the privilege.

role-playing in a game such as STO and using it as an excuse for playing is just allowing the lazy production to continue.
I certainly don't see it that way. This game is destined to become one of the greatest MMOs ever made. It just needs time to grow and to evolve. I am supporting this game 100 %.

I am from another generation. Being only 25 years old. I prefer this MMORPG. It is just my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracknell
I certainly don't see it that way. This game is destined to become one of the greatest MMOs ever made. It just needs time to grow and to evolve. I am supporting this game 100 %.

I am from another generation. Being only 25 years old. I prefer this MMORPG. It is just my opinion.
I don't suggest that you don't like it. Just that paying someone else for you to role-play seems odd to me.

I'm glad you enjoy the game. I think you are very misguided to consider that this game will

"become one of the greatest MMOs ever made"

it's already a run of the mill second-rate title with dwindling support. It's run by a company who's own shareholders have given them less than 2 years to perform or they dissolve the company but if this is what you consider quality then who am I to argue?
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Quote:
I don't suggest that you don't like it. Just that paying someone else for you to role-play seems odd to me.
Really? So you got all your "Character Sheets" for free? What about the "Monster Manual"? "Player's Handbook"? I assume you didn't pay a dime for the "pencil and paper" either?

C'mon, beefing on someone because they RP in an mmoRPg?
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adigregorio View Post
Really? So you got all your "Character Sheets" for free? What about the "Monster Manual"? "Player's Handbook"? I assume you didn't pay a dime for the "pencil and paper" either?

C'mon, beefing on someone because they RP in an mmoRPg?
yeah I got it all for free, apart from the home printing costs.

you want it all? It's freely downloadable now.

We used to share it via photocopiers in my day, but times have moved on.
Lt. Commander
# 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

Why do I point this out?

I keep in mind that this is an MMOG. It's been my experience that story isn't exactly high on the list of things needed to keep them running. There's a lot of talk about STUFF on here because that's what people want, that's a part of what keeps them in the game.

Story can keep me ingame while there's story around, but in an MMOG that becomes an increasingly small portion of the time you'll eventually spend on it, for those other times there's the STUFF.

i also like the quote in the tech manual. Seems like it's saying the book means nothing but they know that you'll waste upwards of $40 on it anyways so here it is.
Lt. Commander
# 9
Quote:
yeah I got it all for free, apart from the home printing costs.

you want it all? It's freely downloadable now?

We used to share it via photocopiers in my day, but times have moved on.
OHHH so you want him to STEAL instead of pay, I get it now!

EDIT

Let these folks know that you enjoyed their free games!
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-19-2010, 06:32 PM
And here, dear OP, is the huge problem with that: the ST shows were about the specific stories of the specific crew of the specific ship the show was about. However, the Devs cannot write specific stories about the specific crews of our ships because their all different. STO isnt about one ship and crew, its about...well, however many players there are. The only story the Devs can write is a very general story for each faction, which they are already doing. That said, I do prefer new episodes over new items, and I look forward to the weekly episodes becoming a reality.