Lt. Commander
# 11
05-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
I keep in mind that this is an MMOG. It's been my experience that story isn't exactly high on the list of things needed to keep them running. There's a lot of talk about STUFF on here because that's what people want, that's a part of what keeps them in the game.

Story can keep me ingame while there's story around, but in an MMOG that becomes an increasingly small portion of the time you'll eventually spend on it, for those other times there's the STUFF.

i also like the quote in the tech manual. Seems like it's saying the book means nothing but they know that you'll waste upwards of $40 on it anyways so here it is.
this game is no different than pokemon. Obsessive fans will be given the option to collect nonsense within the framework of a 'game' and when it stops generating income over expenditure it will stop.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Glad to see the Nagus here, his thread on Player Gen. Content is right up your ally OP.

The only way to have the "drama" from the shows, is if you write it yourself. As The Grand points out, the shows were specific to the ship/character (TNG: "Data's Day") Heck, I don't really refer to episodes by their name, but by the character the episode is about.

"Oh, it's a Worf episode!"

"Ug, not a Neelix!"

"Woo! Data!"
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigF View Post
this game is no different than pokemon. Obsessive fans will be given the option to collect nonsense within the framework of a 'game' and when it stops generating income over expenditure it will stop.
Let me ask you this. Why are even here? Why are you even playing this game when it seems to be so terrible for you?

Why post on a forum for a game that takes your many and doesn't do anything for you?
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adigregorio View Post
OHHH so you want him to STEAL instead of pay, I get it now!

EDIT

Let these folks know that you enjoyed their free games!
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/
I'm shifting 5TB a day on my tracker including the latest blockbuster movies. You think I care about some obscure pnp stuff? Worse, do you think that Wizards of the coast care?
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracknell
Let me ask you this. Why are even here? Why are you even playing this game when it seems to be so terrible for you?

Why post on a forum for a game that takes your many and doesn't do anything for you?

I hate answering questions with questions but in this case I will.

Why are you asking me questions about something that you have already made your opinion about yet can have absolutely no valid reason for your assumptions?

did I discuss the game? Did I say it was terrible? Did I say it does nothing for me? Do you also perform miracles seeing as you are omnipotent and all knowing?
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Quote:
I hate answering questions with questions but in this case I will.

Why are you asking me questions about something that you have already made your opinion about yet can have absolutely no valid reason for your assumptions?

did I discuss the game? Did I say it was terrible? Did I say it does nothing for me? Do you also perform miracles seeing as you are omnipotent and all knowing?
lol

Reading your posts gave me an impression which lead me to my questions. If I misinterpreted them I am sorry.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Quote:
I'm shifting 5TB a day on my tracker including the latest blockbuster movies. You think I care about some obscure pnp stuff? Worse, do you think that Wizards of the coast care?
(Last response on this)
Just because some people do not STEAL to role play, does not make them somehow "less than". I have run RP guilds over 2 MMO's not to mention running the RP sections of 2 more. I have also been a DM for a long time.

In addition, the RP potential of this game might be enough to quench the OP. Since you did not make the OP, your OPINION on the worthwhile properties of RP is worth as much as you think RPing in a MMO is.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adigregorio View Post
(Last response on this)
Just because some people do not STEAL to role play, does not make them somehow "less than". I have run RP guilds over 2 MMO's not to mention running the RP sections of 2 more. I have also been a DM for a long time.

In addition, the RP potential of this game might be enough to quench the OP. Since you did not make the OP, your OPINION on the worthwhile properties of RP is worth as much as you think RPing in a MMO is.
so we agree that opinions are worthless hmm?
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Quote:
so we agree that opinions are worthless hmm?
Are they ever! I tried to sell mine the other day, I actually had to pay someone to take it!

Oh, and I agree with you at the same time as with the RP fellow. This game needs more, I should not have to RP to feel like I am playing a MMO.

And, for the record (ha! pun!), I don't think anyone is "less than" for 'stealing' (IE Torrents, the Wizards material) <--My worthless opinion
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
And here, dear OP, is the huge problem with that: the ST shows were about the specific stories of the specific crew of the specific ship the show was about. However, the Devs cannot write specific stories about the specific crews of our ships because their all different. STO isnt about one ship and crew, its about...well, however many players there are. The only story the Devs can write is a very general story for each faction, which they are already doing. That said, I do prefer new episodes over new items, and I look forward to the weekly episodes becoming a reality.
Directed at Nagus:
I think he is more upset about the overall gear and advancement focus of STO as an MMO...

General Commentary:
Keep in mind pretty much every MMO is about getting better gear and improving one's ability in the game through the acquisition of stuff. But getting new gear is one of the focuses of MMOs... just like it was one of the focuses of tabletop games... you can't take down harder stuff without getting better equipment and leveling...