Lt. Commander
# 21
05-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Well. This is certainly not the direction I was thinking this thread might go.

I'm not referring to RP or story in and of itself. I'm just saying I hope the game will evolve in a direction that can emphasize character advancement and development over the collection of "stuff."

From my perspective, a rich and detailed random mission generator that allows for missions within missions, difficult decisions, puzzles and dilemmas would go a log way toward this.

My favourite mission so far in the game is the one where you have to decide whether to side with the Spy or the (supposedly undine) Captain. You have to make a choice, and that made it interesting. That made it fun.

For the loot monkeys, they'd be interested in what will give them better rewards. For the RPers, they might choose based on their character's personality. The point is, that option exists. It doesn't exist in any other mission in the game.

It became about the character, about the story. Not just about loot. That made it STAR TREK.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-20-2010, 04:58 AM
I'd care more about the game being drama over loot, if the missions were more than click this, shoot that, with wall of text filler.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I'm not referring to RP or story in and of itself. I'm just saying I hope the game will evolve in a direction that can emphasize character advancement and development over the collection of "stuff."
And it is not like that now? I don't know about you, but those cluster missions I run don't give me any "awesome stuff" just some badges and BO points (BO points are used in emphasizing Character Development.)

Quote:
From my perspective, a rich and detailed random mission generator that allows for missions within missions, difficult decisions, puzzles and dilemmas would go a log way toward this.
I agree, but since it does not exist we have to make due with what is called "adapting", at least until something is implemented. And, as it stands, we do have a rich and detailed random mission generator. The problem is the choices the generator has to choose from, not beefing just clarifying.

Quote:
My favourite mission so far in the game is the one where you have to decide whether to side with the Spy or the (supposedly undine) Captain. You have to make a choice, and that made it interesting. That made it fun.
Can't say I have done this one yet, though I tend to skip "main missions" due to their length (time wise). However, I can see what you are saying. Considering I have had no other mission that had a "choice" other than "Do I press "F" or just stand here looking pretty?"

Quote:
For the loot monkeys, they'd be interested in what will give them better rewards. For the RPers, they might choose based on their character's personality. The point is, that option exists. It doesn't exist in any other mission in the game.
Alright, I have to ask. How can anyone be a "loot monkey" (nice term) in this game? I am lucky if a kill nets me anything, and even luckier if it isn't a battery. And, I don't know about you, but I don't consider 20 engine batteries "loot", maybe "junk".

Quote:
It became about the character, about the story. Not just about loot. That made it STAR TREK.
Well, that isn't entirely true. If any federation ship encounters loot covered in Omega molecules... <--That's a joke son, a joke I say.

Unfortunately, with an MMO we have to take into consideration that others are also playing. And what I find "Star Trek" or "Fun" is going to be another persons "Star Wars" and "Boring". Honestly, if you are having a less than fun time, you should at least try RP. Then, in my opinion, you would have more ground in these complaints, because you would have tried all avenues of repair. (Avenues that you drive, not DEVs)
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Quote:
I was perusing the old Starfleet Tecnical Manual (the TNG version) and I was somewhat struck by something in the introduction. Allow me to quote:

"Remember, Star Trek is about people; the technology is merely part of their environment. As Gene points out in his introduction, the real mission of the starship Enterprise is to serve as a vehicle for drama."

- Rick Sternback & Michael Okuda

Why do I point this out?

The reason is that I see an obsession over STUFF in the game. The next ship, the best weapon, the purple gear. As the creators of Star Trek have said, these things aren't the point of Star Trek. It should be more about the drama, the story, and the characters.

I hope the devs will keep this in mind as they continue to build upon an excellent foundation for the game.
That is the difference between a TV show which relies on drama for the story to function and a MMO which does not need just drama, but a sense of accomplishment to satisfy the players need to immerse oneself into a game.
I for one love a good background storyline, but find little need to learn the viewpoints, feelings or personal interactions of my mindless NPC crew members. Though a certain level of personality (aka ME2) in the BO's would be nice to have, as well as minigames and choices that effect future gameplay.