Lt. Commander
# 1 How Has The Game Improved?
05-19-2010, 07:31 PM
I have been lurking the forums since the beginning, and read countless topics at launch how the game barely has any content, glitchy, didn't meet people's expectations, etc. but now that several months have passed how has the game matured?

- Are there still a good amount of people playing?
- Did they improve on the content?
- Did they fix bugs, glitches, etc?
- Are you enjoying the game now?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-19-2010, 07:36 PM
I am going to give you the best bit of advice out there.

Don't listen to anyones opinion about the game. Go play it. If you like it continue playing it, if you find it lacking move on. The only opinion that matters here is yours.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-19-2010, 07:51 PM
I like that my away team knows how to use doorways now, instead of getting stuck on walls constantly.
Still some glitches: no enemies to fight sometimes, anomalies underground and unscannable sometimes.
After last patch my scanner beam on the ship points a random direction, but still gets samples.

Not really done much of the RA5 STF stuff, just Infected atm, and seems ok. Need to get the other done once I get my PC back from the repair shop.

I was/am a WoW-aholic, but have not been really playing WoW since STO came out. Sooo, I guess I'm enjoying myself?
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceler
I have been lurking the forums since the beginning, and read countless topics at launch how the game barely has any content, glitchy, didn't meet people's expectations, etc. but now that several months have passed how has the game matured?

I'll try to give you as honest and fair assessment as I can.

1) I would say there's a fair amount of people playing. I've been around probably as long as you have been and though I can tell there aren't as many people around, it's hardly a gamebreaker. Contrary to the panic I've seen on the forums, most people in-game seem rather content with the game.

2) There hasn't been much in the way of content releases since the original launch of the game. Some missions called "Special Task Forces" have been released. I've tried out a few with a few of my characters. They're definitely not a walk in the park and can be at times frustrating when you have a bad group. I hear though, that Cryptic plans to remedy the content situation with "weekly episodes" and the Season 2 expansion holds a lot of promise.

3) Since the OB, I feel quite a few of those things have been worked on. For the most part, I can play the game without too much interruption due to bugs/glitches. They do crop up, but for the most part, I find them to be mere annoyances than signs the game is completely broken.

4) I'm okay with the game as of right now. Though I'll be frank with you, I think I've hit a wall. Don't get me wrong though. I've thoroughly enjoyed the game thus far and I'm pretty sure I'm going to see it through for at least a few more months. But content is coming out a little slow and there doesn't seem to be much in game once you hit the highest current rank except some daily missions to improve your gear. But like I've said, from what I've been hearing about Season 2, there's more than enough reason for me to stay on board a while longer.

Hopefully this gave you a clear perspective onto the game other than the gloom, doom and trolls than haunt the forums.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-19-2010, 08:16 PM
1) A reasonable amount but its undenialable that the player base has shrunk.
2) There is more content but not enough to satisfy even casual players. No real improvement on existing content.
3) They fixed alot of bugs however lots more survive and more are being created.
4) I'm a capped BG5 Klingon and i'm bored. The original content i find so boring i can't face leveling my other character slots.

You are probably wondering why i am still here given my answers?
Its STar Trek i want to give it 6 months to improve.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranman1988 View Post
But content is coming out a little slow
Not sure how fast content should come out. Or can, realistically, and be decent.
So an effort in replay-ability is a must also.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceler

You've been lurking on the forums ... which means you have access to the game ... which means you should just log in and see for yourself how it is out there?
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
You've been lurking on the forums ... which means you have access to the game ... which means you should just log in and see for yourself how it is out there?
he has demo access, so he can log in and see for himself...but I guess he wants to know more from the community before he decides to buy it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-19-2010, 09:15 PM
I am a lifer and agree with most all of the previous posts. The game is fun for me, I am playing it along side LOTRO so i am spreading the current content out a bit more. I haven't hit Rear Admiral on any toon yet, But I do have characters in different level ranges now. I have to say I am really enjoying leveling up and that I can do 3 or 4 different things while leveling. I am also taking the time to read the episodes, because they are quite intriguing, I do at times wish some were longer than an hour and more in depth, but 2 hours might be at the point where I would get bored and want to finish the mission. It really depends on the day for me.

The community has clearly shrunk, either because people didn't like the flavor of the game, not enough content, already at level cap or what ever their reasons. I do think, the community is there, it is just not as obvious as it was before. You could do a deep space mission and there be tons of instances to switch between. Now, however, it is few. I rarely see 5 instances any more and those have 2-4 people in them (mostly around 2).

I look forward to seeing season 2 content, and the introduction of weekly episodes. It will be like watching my favorite show every week, but, having a part in it. I do hope they are in the 2-2.5 hour range though, even if they are an hour long they would be on par with a TV show, so it could easily fall in line with my weekly shows (because I can chose the day to do them, right.)

Overall, the game is nice, it is a nice change of pace from the classic RPG fantasy MMO. I love space combat, I am beginning to love ground combat more and more as my bridge officers and my main character level up and skill up. I have a lot of fun when I get together with 2 or more of my friends that still play. My dad and I did the mission to enter the deep space 9 wormhole the other day. We had a blast doing it, and goofing around afterword patrolling some nearby systems.

So I would say the game has improved since launch, however, it could be a bit faster on content releases. That might be a bit much to ask though, because I understand it takes time to implement patches and get it right and go through QA and fix initial pre-release bugs and what. But, maybe in the future they can improve the time it takes to get things out to us to play with. Personally I am looking forward to the task forces, the ship interiors (i am hoping we can fly from inside the ship come season 2 but my hopes aren't high for that at this point) I am really looking forward to accolades and the trophy system in my ready room.

I hope this helps, this is as fair and honest as I feel I could be without going all fanboy on ya. I understand the game has its problems, but I have learned that with mmos, especially with a 2 year pre-release cycle and with the development rights changing hands twice over; you cant have extreme expectations. So as far as mmo's go I take it for what it is and hope for the best.

At any rate, the best opinion is your own, so jump in and give it a shot, even if you sub for a month and hate it the most you will be out is 15 bucks and maybe a few hours. But I would totally give it past a couple of hours and definitively into Lt. Commander.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Honestly, it is best if you play and decide for yourself.