Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
05-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Unless they take all of the Transformers out of the movie i don't care.

The only thing i want to see when i go to a transformers movie are transformers beating the tar out of each other. The actors are just there to be squishy cannon fodder.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
05-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrano
It sounds like he enjoys being a grandpa, lol

On to other fun, when I was in the Navy, the clinic I worked at in Newport, RI, would send noobies over to the hospital to get felopian tube clamps for an emergency extraction of wisdom teeth on a patient. You would be suprised (or not) at how many people fell for this one, lol (not me, my mom was a nurse, I found her sexual reproduction books once ) They would be over there for hours, trying to locate these nonexistent clamps.
Similar stunts in the Air Force. Sending new blood off around the base to find some flight line, or a gallon of prop wash.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
05-20-2010, 09:59 AM
I pull similar stuff when I tell people about the War of Grant's Ear and the Football War. They look at me like I am making stuff up.

Yes, there was a War of Grant's Ear. And there was a war over a game of Football (Soccer).

It sounds so stupid and unreasonable that it can't possibly be true. Here's a clue, sometimes countries don't need a good reason to fight each other.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
05-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
I pull similar stuff when I tell people about the War of Grant's Ear and the Football War. They look at me like I am making stuff up.

Yes, there was a War of Grant's Ear. And there was a war over a game of Football (Soccer).

It sounds so stupid and unreasonable that it can't possibly be true. Here's a clue, sometimes countries don't need a good reason to fight each other.
And thank the Emperor for that, or we'd run out of reasons and stop fighting!

I couldn't live in a world like that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
05-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
I pull similar stuff when I tell people about the War of Grant's Ear and the Football War. They look at me like I am making stuff up.

Yes, there was a War of Grant's Ear. And there was a war over a game of Football (Soccer).

It sounds so stupid and unreasonable that it can't possibly be true. Here's a clue, sometimes countries don't need a good reason to fight each other.
Okay, you've got me on this one. I've heard of the War of Jenkin's Ear - just before the War of Austrian Succession - but I've never heard of the War of Grant's Ear. Details?

This leads me to wonder about how many Ear wars we've had? Any nose or Lower Lumbar wars? Of course, you could argue that all wars are ultimately about a single piece of anatomy...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
05-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacherguy
Okay, you've got me on this one. I've heard of the War of Jenkin's Ear - just before the War of Austrian Succession - but I've never heard of the War of Grant's Ear. Details?

This leads me to wonder about how many Ear wars we've had? Any nose or Lower Lumbar wars? Of course, you could argue that all wars are ultimately about a single piece of anatomy...
Well yeah. Why do you think missiles, torpedoes, bullets, and subs are all shaped like that piece of anatomy?

And, if we do our job correctly, they're bigger than those of the opposition.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
05-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Maybe it's my age but I'm kinda over the "dork gets the hot chick" thing in movies. It's very 80s.

She talked a lot of @#$% about Bay in interviews (probably the truth) and she got the boot. Not much of a surprise.

I was a little put off that in the first movie, the transformers seemed like supporting characters in their own movie! The second was a little better in terms of robot screen-time. Most of my friends like the franchise so we'll probably see the third one too.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
05-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacherguy
Okay, you've got me on this one. I've heard of the War of Jenkin's Ear - just before the War of Austrian Succession - but I've never heard of the War of Grant's Ear. Details?

This leads me to wonder about how many Ear wars we've had? Any nose or Lower Lumbar wars? Of course, you could argue that all wars are ultimately about a single piece of anatomy...
Was a part of the ongoing conflicts between England and the Netherlands. Was just an excuse for the two countries to commit piracy against each other for giggles.

Ear taking was a pretty common punishment during that period for smuggling and due to often intentionally vague trade agreements, the local officials could call just about whatever they wanted to call contraband. Of course the alleged smuggler would protest, get his ear chopped off, go home, complain to someone about it, and the government would take it as an excuse to fight the other country.

Did you know that the French and Indian War/Seven Years Wars started because George Washington's French speaking doctor mistranslated a document? Colonel Washington thought he was signing a document saying he accidentally killed a French nobleman when in actuality the document he signed stated that he had assassinated the nobleman.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
05-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Was a part of the ongoing conflicts between England and the Netherlands. Was just an excuse for the two countries to commit piracy against each other for giggles.

Ear taking was a pretty common punishment during that period for smuggling and due to often intentionally vague trade agreements, the local officials could call just about whatever they wanted to call contraband. Of course the alleged smuggler would protest, get his ear chopped off, go home, complain to someone about it, and the government would take it as an excuse to fight the other country.

Did you know that the French and Indian War/Seven Years Wars started because George Washington's French speaking doctor mistranslated a document? Colonel Washington thought he was signing a document saying he accidentally killed a French nobleman when in actuality the document he signed stated that he had assassinated the nobleman.
So I'm assuming it fit in with those Stuart-era naval wars between the two?

I did know the Washington story. My graduate work was on 18th century British Imperial and Economic history - I love this kind of stuff.

My favorite bit from the War of Jenkins' Ear is how the titular Jenkins kept the ear in a jar of brandy after it had been cut off and then was waving it around while giving the speech to Parliament that led to the declaration of war. Those guys knew how to live!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
05-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Watched Transformers ... won't watch 2 or 3.

Simple reason: There should not be any human main characters. It should be Autobot and Decepticon main characters only, with humans just showing up to get saved/killed/taken hostage.

So yes dumping Fox is a good thing, but it doesn't really help to they dump all the rest of the humans too.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:26 AM.