Lt. Commander
I have trained a few skills to my Bridge Officers and it cost me Starfleet Merits.
This should not be the case.

It will discourage people from training BOs for others (when such a thing becomes possible) if the trainer has to pay starfleet for something they are doing. Paying Starfleet for one of its trainers is one thing. Me having to pay starfleet for my own services is another. And I, definitely, should not be paying to train somebody elses BO (again, when such a thing becomes possible).
I understand there might be some concern over people training BOs then selling them.... thats fine (Good thing in my opinion). I'd like to be able to support my fleet as a BO trainer and getting others in my fleet to do the same will be easier if this unjustifiable expense is done away with....
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by taishojojo View Post
I have trained a few skills to my Bridge Officers and it cost me Starfleet Merits.
This should not be the case.

It will discourage people from training BOs for others (when such a thing becomes possible) if the trainer has to pay starfleet for something they are doing. Paying Starfleet for one of its trainers is one thing. Me having to pay starfleet for my own services is another. And I, definitely, should not be paying to train somebody elses BO (again, when such a thing becomes possible).
I understand there might be some concern over people training BOs then selling them.... thats fine (Good thing in my opinion). I'd like to be able to support my fleet as a BO trainer and getting others in my fleet to do the same will be easier if this unjustifiable expense is done away with....
Are you using your un-used candidates to "Train Up" your BOs? Or training your own BOs in class specific skills?
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
Are you using your un-used candidates to "Train Up" your BOs? Or training your own BOs in class specific skills?
I am training like-class members of my crew.
If I train my engineering BO, Emergency Power to Shields III, it will cost me Starfleet Merits. And it shouldn't...
I shouldn't be paying to train my own BOs with skills that I'm teaching them (not Starfleet).

When Cryptic implements BO trading, we will finally be able to train BOs for other people; like me, Engineering Captain, training an Engineer BO for my Tactical Captain fleet member, who captains a Cruiser.

So, If my fleet wants to have a cadre of officers for training purposes, it will get expensive, Merit-wise, because its several hundred Merits to train a skill.

The methodology is already in place by using an un-commissioned officer to train crew. It doesn't cost Merits for that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by taishojojo View Post
This should not be the case..
But the only other thing you can use merits for would be buying Respecs... And if don't need Respecs, what else could you use Merits for??? Buy useless Common BOs???
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
But the only other thing you can use merits for would be buying Respecs... And if don't need Respecs, what else could you use Merits for??? Buy useless Common BOs???
Doesn't make it ok. I dont have a problem with using merits when Starfleet is training but its me training my BOs not Starfleet.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-20-2010, 01:19 PM
While leveling I can see if being annoying but at endgame is really doesn't matter. I basically have an infinite number of BO points and merits. So completely irrelevant.

The only time Merits are a problem is if you one of those people that want to respec every week. Currently I have over 80k Metirs and I can't even tell you how many BO points I have.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Expired Comment
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Apart from rare traits like Efficient, what's so great about non-common BoFFs?

With regard to the original poster:

Think of it this way: Starfleet Merits represent an ability to pull strings and call in favors among the fleet's brass.

Whenever you train an officer, whether through a skills trainer, or personally, they're spending time learning a brand new skill or procedure to replace some thing that they already knew. That means they/you are not doing other duties, and that requires some lenience or special dispensation from star fleet, which is why it costs you merits.

I've never been an officer in star fleet, but I have been an NCO in the Marine Corps. Whenever I wanted to train some one in my platoon in an area that wasn't part of their core responsibilities, I usually had to justify that to my CO, because that was one less body that was available for whatever, and in some cases it meant pulling in a third party to help them learn. Although we trained constantly, there was only so much room to put a personal touch on things. Most training was done as a unit and by the book, or through established channels like Corporal's Course or Rifle Certification.

Getting people into specialized training like Spotter School or NBC School often meant playing politics, because there are limited seats, limited ability to let people leave the unit for training, and lots of need for that training. I never had a "currency" like "Starfleet Merits" that I had to spend, but my ability to get people (including myself) into any special training often relied on the high opinion of my CO or regard that his superior officers had for him.

So you can look at it that way, or you can just look at it as "That's the way that merits are designed to work, so just deal with it." Either way works.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Useless? Most of my bridg officers are common. Usually, the uncommon, rare, and very rare bridge officers aren't the right race, don't have useful abilities, and are only good for occasionally training a level three ability. I think the only two I have trained are Aceton Field III and Attack Pattern Omega III. The rest have all sucked. I put most of them up on the exchange for only 6000, and most of them don't sell.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconical
Apart from rare traits like Efficient, what's so great about non-common BoFFs?

They have better traits, mostly for the ground game. Doesn't make them great, but that is how they are superior to common BOs, at least on the ground.