Lt. Commander
I'm trying to figure this out. I was watching "Encounter at Farpoint" yesterday and noticed that Dr. Crusher tells the attendant that he should send the bill to her ship. Also, people in DS9 have to buy stuff from local vendors all teh time. It's obvious that Latinum has value and all.I can understand that onship all things are essentially taken care of. But what method does Starfleet use to pay vendors? How about civilians? In STIV, Kirk says they don't use money and even Picard reiterates this when he says that man has outgrown the pursuit of possessions. So how does Starfleet pay it's debts? Is there some massive banking system out there that just pays out whatever Starfleet personnell wants? Do they each have a bank account? What do you think. I know that Starfleet credits are used, but what do you think it means?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-20-2010, 07:00 AM
Yeah !.......

I think it's more that people use precious gems and stuff and give people what they want and do services for them rather than get paid.

How are we going to cope when we get to space. I don't think Planet Blob in the Orius belt will use Dollars or pounds.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-20-2010, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadjedi View Post
Yeah !.......

I think it's more that people use precious gems and stuff and give people what they want and do services for them rather than get paid.

How are we going to cope when we get to space. I don't think Planet Blob in the Orius belt will use Dollars or pounds.
heh heh....services...heh heh..
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-20-2010, 07:06 AM
no one knows

i think the federation has money they just use it to trade with our races and not for their own personal wealth

so for example the federation probably pays quark for all the food and drink that his officers use at the end of the month.

at the moment as people we want to have more money than the next guy, yet in star trek sometime a fed officer would win some latinum at a dabbo table which they could then spend at a shop but its not that consuming to them. they dont have to go and win more and more or buy lots of stuff. they can take it or leave it

they are content the way they are with what they've got
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-20-2010, 07:12 AM
I actually think STO is somewhat close with the use of energy credits, I imagine that each officer has a certain amount of "resources" they are allowed to use and they earn more over time or possibly based on rank.

With replicators, people can have almost anything they want, but I imagine there is some sort of limit on how much they can use the replicator in a given period of time..

The Memory Alpha article on Money is interesting....
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-20-2010, 07:19 AM
I think it's more to do with Humans than the Federation or even Starfleet as a whole. Bolians for instance, being a Federation species with people in Starfleet, has a banking system and credit exchange (which could even indicate further species within the federation having their own monetary systems). I only remember Humans making grandiose claims about being better than the rest of the money grubbing galaxy.

It's that or it's a concept of the future that's so alien that not even the shows own writers could get it straight.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-20-2010, 07:22 AM
Often in VOY, comments are made as to "replicator rations"....
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-20-2010, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDawson View Post
Often in VOY, comments are made as to "replicator rations"....
Because they had limited amounts of energy at their disposal.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-20-2010, 07:55 AM
One of the fundamental laws of economics. If scarcity exists, a rationing device must be created. There are some things a replicator cannot replicate. There are also things a replicator cannot do right.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MycroftHolmes View Post
There are some things a replicator cannot replicate. There are also things a replicator cannot do right.
Which is a big reason why gold-pressed latinum is so highly valued as an interstellar currency.