Lt. Commander
# 11
05-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800lbGorilla
Incorrect. When I play STO, it is in a Window instead of full screen. I have a 24" monitor, so I can afford the extra space to keep the website up. If (when) I come across something that doesn't work (i.e. a bug), I have checked the release notes in the forum to see if it is something recently changed. I try to include that in the report. The more information you can give a debugger while they are investigating a bug, the quicker they can find a fix.
Thank you for bragging, people love that. That aside, when you come across a bug you just need to report it. They don't need you to tell them what bugs they fixed. The only information they need is where the bug happened, what you were doing when it happened, and a description of the bug. The release notes which they created will not help them in fixing a bug.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
Irregardless is an illogical word. Please stop using it.
It is not illogical. It's a shorter way of saying "without regard" or "the opposite of regard."

What is illogical is a race of girls pretending to be slaves when they're in fact slavers. You'd think the Orion men would've had reparations by now.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
It is not illogical. It's a shorter way of saying "without regard" or "the opposite of regard."
Hmm. "Without regard." So that would be: regard... less?
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Irregardless is a real word, however regardless is more commonly accepted and given the choice between the two, regardless would be more likely chosen when used for something professional.

In my opinion the only reason irregardless is a word is because so many people started using it that they added it to the dictionary. However regardless still remains as the primary/standard choice.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frak View Post
Pretty funny that you put up a link to an argument that concludes: "Use regardless instead."
Actually, I was hoping to point out the section where Merrium Webster says people try to say it isn't a real word, but it is. Somehow, that didn't quite work out...
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
Irregardless is an illogical word. Please stop using it.
Thank you!! It just bothers me when people use that word. I have to deal with a coworker who swears up and down that it is a word, and "corrects" me every time I use the proper word: "Regardless". And why? Because the pop morning show DJ he listens to all the time says it. OMG!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictionairy.Reference.Com
Word Origin & History

irregardless

an erroneous word that, etymologically, means the exact opposite of what it is used to express, attested in non-standard writing from at least 1870s (e.g. "Portsmouth Times," Portsmouth, Ohio, U.S.A., April 11, 1874: "We supported the six successful candidates for Council in the face of a strong opposition. We were led to do so because we believed every man of them would do his whole duty, irregardless of party, and the columns of this paper for one year has [sic] told what is needed."); probably a blend of irrespective and regardless. Perhaps inspired by the double negative used as an emphatic.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Regardless means 'without regard'. Irregardless would technically be a double negative. I.e. irregular meaning 'not regular'. So irregardless would mean 'not without regard' or 'with regard'.

So irregardless is sort of like saying 'I could care less' instead of 'I couldn't care less'. It, ironically, means the opposite of what you're using it to say.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frak View Post
Pretty funny that you put up a link to an argument that concludes: "Use regardless instead."
Pretty satisfying, too!