Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...el_of_mmo_.php

Basically, the article talks about EVE Online, CCP, and the "Icelandic model" of MMO development. It talks about how important it is for MMOs that don't have a massive budget (looks at STO) to concentrate on developing really strong "sand box" game play, so that players always feel like they have some thing to do, even when that structure is not handed to them directly.

I encourage every one to read the full article, because it will give you a better understanding of why it is so vitally important that Cryptic develops SYSTEMS like exploration in favor of creating more CONTENT like STFs, if they want STO to succeed on its very limited budget (compared to the AAA titles like WOW or TOR which can afford to spend a million dollars for a few hours of content, if necessary).
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Sand box approach? Is that what Eve calls spending a real-time weeks mining asteroids or camping spawn spots waiting for others to exit systems?
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Sand box approach? Is that what Eve calls spending a real-time weeks mining asteroids or camping spawn spots waiting for others to exit systems?
Hey be nice. ( even if it's true. )
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Prediction: someone is going to say something about how they have never heard of this site therefore they dont care what it has to so. Ironically, most people have never heard of the person who is going to make that reply either, so by their own logic most people dont care what they have to say as well
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Prediction: someone is going to say something about how they have never heard of this site therefore they dont care what it has to so. Ironically, most people have never heard of the person who is going to make that reply either, so by their own logic most people dont care what they have to say as well
WHO ARE YOU????
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-20-2010, 09:10 AM
I have never heard of this site and therefore dont care what it has to say.
You have never heard of me, so by my logic most people dont care about what i have to say as well.

I have only posted a very few times, but I do read A Lot of the forums. I like this Grand Nagus guy. He funny.

Tux beat me. Darn.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUX426 View Post
WHO ARE YOU????
Not MY logic
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Man, did I get under your skin or what?

No, Gamasutra is a great site, and I would consider it an authority.

But who am I? My positive opinion doesn't matter either
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacatchman View Post
Man, did I get under your skin or what?
Honestly, I cant remember. I tend to forget names with no avatars
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-20-2010, 09:17 AM
To be recognised by the Grand Nagus, one must have an avatar. I must find one.
But....how?!