Lt. Commander
I was thinking of ways to make Auxiliary Power more useful for all classes of ships and this is what I came up with. As it is right now, weapon, shield, and engine power has a direct influence on combat in space. Shields and engine power provide defensive bonuses while weapons increases dps. Making Auxiliary power add to your ships accuracy would make it that there are two powers that contribute to attacking and defense alike. The math should be similar to how the shield power contributes to resistance. This way if a person wants to max out there dps, they would divert all power to weapons and aux while losing the benefits of the defensive bonuses from the other subsystems. Also, by doing this, you give another option and reason for transferring power setting during combat. As it is now, for the most part, only science ships have any real reason to divert power to aux (that is only for a handful of powers) while other ships have almost no reason what so ever to use aux. With a change like this, all the subsystems would have a valued importance in combat. Thank you for reading my post and comment as you like.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-20-2010, 02:11 PM
I like the thought of 'mirroring' power levels and their effects on combat.

As it stands now, Aux is a dump stat (to use the old RPG term). Not even all Science ships use it.

With the remaining three power levels, you have two that effect defense, and only one that effects offense.

Having opposing pairs of power levels (Weps vs Shield, Aux vs Engines) makes sense in multiple ways. Even for fluff reasons, having a higher Aux could translate as spending that energy on sensors, trying to make the most of your attacks. I like the inherent balance of the situation, as well.

I'm all for a change like this. It gives more options to Captains, and makes all four power levels important and worthy of use.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-20-2010, 04:29 PM
I agree the balancing out of weapons vs def is a good idea. I'd /sign it. Another suggestion I thought of was having Aux affect cooldown/recharge timers. Nothing too huge in numbers but something to shave some time off might add some diversity to skill choices and power setups.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-22-2010, 11:22 AM
One of my friends mentioned a similar idea with the adjusting cooldowns based on Aux. I think the one potential problem with that is balancing issue. Balancing how much it should effect BO powers i think might be a little tricky, it might even mean that the aux effects different BO powers differently, giving some a more bonus than others. But another problem is that there is already PO to help with recharges.