Lt. Commander
So I have been reading this book over the past couple days to find myself getting aggravated. Please feel free to correct me on anything I might be wrong about. From my understanding this book is taking place after the Star Trek Movie (2009) where Nero destroys Vulcan.

From the STO MMO perspective the game follows the "prime universe" (the universe that Spock and Nero left)

My question is why does Michael A Martin get to decide the future of the new star trek timeline?

For example if the book is following the Star Trek Movie (where there is only about 10,000 Vulcans left) why is there a Tuvok.? Wouldn't you think that the chances are a lot smaller now that he even exists because most of his race was killed (meaning his ancestors, mother, father could have been killed).

***Possible Spoiler****

Another example is when he Sisko interviews General Worf. Now Worf was almost killed by Nero. Based on this information Worf was born a hundred years earlier. Nero went back in 2233, attacked Vulcan 25 years later(2258) and Worf was the General when they attacked Nero.

My point I am trying to make is why does the author get to decide the fate of the characters of the new Star Trek? If you really think about everything Michael Martin made minor changes to the timeline (Janeway is alive instead of dead), why does their even have to be a Janeway?

Please comment, I am trying to wrap this all in my head.

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Vulcan wasn't destroyed in the Prime Universe. It was destroyed in the movie's alternate universe.

Martin got to improvise some elements (and had to) but he was trying to work from Cryptic's notes as they got to decide what happens in the Prime Timeline according to the game.

In terms of Nero's attack, that's from the Star Trek: Countdown comic book, in which Nero attacks Worf BEFORE going back in time.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofy-117 View Post
So I have been reading this book over the past couple days to find myself getting aggravated. Please feel free to correct me on anything I might be wrong about. From my understanding this book is taking place after the Star Trek Movie (2009) where Nero destroys Vulcan.

From the STO MMO perspective the game follows the "prime universe" (the universe that Spock and Nero left)

My question is why does Michael A Martin get to decide the future of the new star trek timeline?

For example if the book is following the Star Trek Movie (where there is only about 10,000 Vulcans left) why is there a Tuvok.? Wouldn't you think that the chances are a lot smaller now that he even exists because most of his race was killed (meaning his ancestors, mother, father could have been killed).

***Possible Spoiler****

Another example is when he Sisko interviews General Worf. Now Worf was almost killed by Nero. Based on this information Worf was born a hundred years earlier. Nero went back in 2233, attacked Vulcan 25 years later(2258) and Worf was the General when they attacked Nero.

My point I am trying to make is why does the author get to decide the fate of the characters of the new Star Trek? If you really think about everything Michael Martin made minor changes to the timeline (Janeway is alive instead of dead), why does their even have to be a Janeway?

Please comment, I am trying to wrap this all in my head.

Thanks
When Spock and Nero went back in time they created an alternate timeline. In other words there are 2 separate timelines:

Prime timline includes TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, all the movies (except the 2009 one), and STO.

Alternate timeline includes the 2009 movie ONLY

Understand?
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-19-2010, 08:15 PM
To clarify, the Prime Universe is the universe Nero and Spock left behind and is completely unaffected by the STAR TREK (2009) film aside from being the universe Nero and Spock left behind.

In the Prime Universe, Romulus was destroyed and Nero fought Worf, the resurrected Data and Picard before going to the alternate universe, which Spock followed him to. Star Trek Online is set roughly 22 years after Spock and Nero disappeared.

In the alternate universe, Nero destroyed Vulcan and the events of 2009's Star Trek film took place. These events do not affect the Prime timeline, where Vulcan was never destroyed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofy-117 View Post
from what I understand, when nero went through the black hole, he actually created an alternate timeline, as in its a timeline that branches off from the normal timeline, therefore the original timeline is still in tact and leaving it unaffected by what happens in the other timeline. almost like a parallel universe. think of it as a cell that divides; the original is in tact, and the copy goes off on its own, leaving it to encounter its own fate. The original cell will never be affected by anything that happens to its copy.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet... but only film / TV is 'canon', or that's how it was last I heard. So any of the hundreds of novels don't really count as determining the history of Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
In terms of Nero's attack, that's from the Star Trek: Countdown comic book, in which Nero attacks Worf BEFORE going back in time.
AHHH I understand now. I see how he gets attacked. I also went back and reread the part where sisko asks him about that. "The planet Vulcan owes its survival to you..." Sorry, guess I just read it to fast and misunderstood something and one thing went on to another. I was so confused but, I understand now haha. My mistake. Up until that part I knew that this book took part in the "prime universe". Then they threw in Nero and thats when things got confusing(never read the comic book).

Thanks again.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracounguis
Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet... but only film / TV is 'canon', or that's how it was last I heard. So any of the hundreds of novels don't really count as determining the history of Trek.
That is true. But the STO folks are free to use non-canon sources as they please... and the Countdown comic book is probably the closest thing to canon of any tie-in because it was plotted by 2/3rds of the people in charge of new Star Trek canon and created to fill in the gaps of the canon movie's backstory.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Actually Countdown is considered 100% canon, there are even a few novels that are considered canon. However the majority are not.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
Actually Countdown is considered 100% canon, there are even a few novels that are considered canon. However the majority are not.
Orci and Kurtzman did back away from that, saying they didn't really consult Abrams about the comic and that they are currently a "council of three" in determining canon. So it's 2/3rds canon and Abrams COULD veto it.

It's the equivalent of what would have happened fifteen years ago if Braga and Moore and Taylor worked on a comic book without consulting Berman.