Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Well, at this point, I need to re-think my skill tree. It would seem, that, with these changes, I will no longer be effective in combat as an Engineer with an Assault Cruiser, that finding the balance of survivability with damage no longer works. I am now forced (for the fifth time) to re-skill my engineer. This time, the only thing I can concentrate on is survivability. Obviously, as most of you have seen, some Tacs can tank in escorts better than I can against them because of my dimished ability to do damage. At this point...........I'm just going to take all the weapons buff off and focus those points and consols(minus tac consoles) into shields, structural integrity, and hull repair.

Frankly, snd yes, this all will be posted on the STO forums, I am getting tired of everyweek, having to retrain my captain, change my combat style, and generally WASTE my time in-game with the constant efforts of keeping up with changes that continue to make the strongest ship (in game design and function) weaker than they were yesterday!! I have no intention of leaving the game right now, but there is only so much Crayptic can do before everyone drop thier Science and Engineer captains aand begin leveling a Tac. How fun would that be?? No one to throw heal out to thier team. No one to give you a decent shield buff. No one to SNB that impossibly tough BoP. T

The game is taking a turn for the worse because the people who are complaining are those who are doing the most damage with the best heals and are still be outgunned by SKILL!!! I'm tired of letting these whiners get all the changes to make it impossible to evelope a good tactical plan in combat. Everytime you get used to these changes and make new choices for your BO skills and where to spend your own points......BAM.....Cryptic changes the dynamic of space combat across the board by making it impossible for certain ships to survive and deal a decent amount of damage.


With all above said....there are a few issues that need immediate attention. Feedback Pulse is one of them. 300% damage to me??? That means if I hit my Beam Overload II and score a direct hit on the hull, then I have efectively destroyed my self. I see the point of allowing FBP to protect a user from damgage, but to give it the ability to litteraly have a single ship with the capability to destroy a five shipp team without firing a single volley is absurd. Now of course this is a worst case scenario, but there is no fun in PvP anymore if there is no possible way to defend against it.......especially if your beam weapons continue fring for several seconds on that target AFTER you change targets.

In conclusion, I am asking Cryptic to set aside the constant nerfing of abilities for one career and stop buffing Tac Officer abilities that NO OTHER carreer path can obtain or even defend against. Again, I have no intentions of leaving the game at this time.....but my availibility to play the game is minimal right now and it would seem that every time I get on to play I have no choice but to spend a majority of my time in respec so that I may have a chance of survival while doing some damage.


CRYPTIC.......PLEASE.............STOP NERFING THE WEAK AND BUFFING THE STRONG!!!!!!!!!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
05-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timper
With all above said....there are a few issues that need immediate attention. Feedback Pulse is one of them. 300% damage to me??? That means if I hit my Beam Overload II and score a direct hit on the hull, then I have efectively destroyed my self. I see the point of allowing FBP to protect a user from damgage, but to give it the ability to litteraly have a single ship with the capability to destroy a five shipp team without firing a single volley is absurd. Now of course this is a worst case scenario, but there is no fun in PvP anymore if there is no possible way to defend against it.......especially if your beam weapons continue fring for several seconds on that target AFTER you change targets.
One of those 5 ships should use Subnucleonic Beam.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
05-23-2010, 10:33 AM
None of those 5 ships would have subnucleonic beam because no one uses science captains.

That was the point of his rather long rant which I tend to agree with. Im new and I picked science as my first captain. All i hear on these boards is questions about what skills to use as a science officer because most are either useless, or share cooldown times with other, more useful skills.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
05-23-2010, 06:11 PM
The original post seems out of date before it was posted. Tacs and burst damage are getting nerfed soon.

Feedback pulse was nerfed a while ago and shouldn't do 300% damage at all anymore. I regularly unload on people using FBP in my escort and don't bother to change targets, even while stacking my damage powers. Of course they probably aren't running at 100% aux or using FBP 3 either. I don't know what the potential of FBP 3 is with full aux, but it should be manageable. You can resist it with resists and shields so its much less dangerous even if it were the same amount of damage.

As for the rest, deal with it. All MMOs change with time, and being very new, STO is going to change with some pretty wild swings this early in the game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
05-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Quote:
All i hear on these boards is questions about what skills to use as a science officer because most are either useless, or share cooldown times with other, more useful skills
You're hearing incorrectly. Science captains have some of the best innate skills of any class. Subnuc, Photonic Fleet, and Dampening Field are all fantastic. Science captains are great; it's Science vessels (and specifically, finding 7 BOff powers to load onto them) that are having problems because essentially every viable utility / support skill available to Science has been heavily nerfed. FBP and VM are the obvious ones, but Tykens is also hugely weaker now than it used to be. Charged Particle Burst and Tachyon Beam have never been anything but terrible. Tractor Beam / Repulsor are both quite good, but who wants to spend their time doing nothing but throwing ships around?

So, said another way: Science Captain = excellent. Science Vessel = quite weak.

In regards to the OP, I'm not sure what you're doing, but since they nerfed FBP I can quite literally ignore it while doing full damage to that target. Now, I can't tell you if I've run into a ship spec'd fully for it running full Aux and so forth, but realistically you can negate all of that damage easily with just Hazard Emitters and EP:Shields or similar. It just doesn't hurt much anymore.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
05-27-2010, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdSin15 View Post
None of those 5 ships would have subnucleonic beam because no one uses science captains.

That was the point of his rather long rant which I tend to agree with. Im new and I picked science as my first captain. All i hear on these boards is questions about what skills to use as a science officer because most are either useless, or share cooldown times with other, more useful skills.
Thats not what I experienced in PvP the other day at Ltcdr rank. Plenty of low level science players and they were doing some really good debuffs too.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
05-27-2010, 07:40 AM
I can just imagine it at a drive through..

Can I not have a Science buff, please?

"Sorry sir, all we got are nerfs."
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:39 AM.